Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ford TDCi – Ghost under the bonnet.
  • Kryton57

So I have a “Woooo’ WOOO” when cold when the throttle is pressed. Goes away when it’s warmed up/is intermittent.

I suspect it’s a split hose – any idea which I one?

parkesie
    Free Member

That’l be the woowoo hose.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Nah.
    Can’t be the woowoo hose as it sounds like that’s working just fine.
    Check the whoa whoa hose hasn’t split?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could be funny this thread.. 😆

Greybeard
    Free Member

It will be one of the intercooler hoses, had it on my Focus TDCi and I guess Mondeo is the same. Might not be a split, might just be a loose hose clamp on one end. Probably some oil leaking from the gap, which should be visible on whatever is nearby (and might also be sealing it once it warms up).

Edit – sorry to spoil the thread with a serious answer!

Kryton57

Thanks greybeard – I’ll check for oil in the morning as the car is always in the same place in the garage.

The Comedic Society can commence.

steveh

You’re mostly looking for oil under the bonnet around the various hoses to from turbo, intercooler etc. So where it’s parked is not key (not being an arse just trying to make it easier!).

nealglover
    Free Member
    wolvesdug
    Free Member

Common on Mondeo front intercooler hose splits. Normally chucks lots of black smoke out of exhaust when they go. It is the one from the EGR valve down

Northwind

Yep, what wolvesdug said, very common fault- more or less a when not if. Mine didn’t smoke or throw oil, it just made an annoying noise and lost a wee bit of power. There’s silicon replacements available on ebay which will last longer than the car and cost less than OE (and add at least 10% Max Powerness- you can get black but I had to go for Chav Blue)

It’s pretty easy to swap, basically 2 hose clamps… But they can be a bit rusty and the access to the bottom one’s a bit extra-elbowey from memory.

Kryton57

Thanks chaps. Its a Kuga but the engine is the same. I’ll check it out.

bails

Mine didn’t smoke or throw oil, it just made an annoying noise and lost a wee bit of power.

Same here on my 1.8.

Looking at the service history the first one lasted 4 years and I fitted a second replacement 4 years to the week after the first replacement went in. So when the car hits 12 years old it’ll need doing again.

£35-40 for the part from my local Ford dealer (hose plus metal tube bit) and 15 minutes to fit.

Kryton57

No smoke on startup or accelarate away but power is a bit down this morning Car is 7 yrs old 50k miles so it seems we’ve done well.

matt_outandabout

It’s pretty easy to swap, basically 2 hose clamps… But they can be a bit rusty and the access to the bottom one’s a bit extra-elbowey from memory.

Having just replaced thermostat on 2.0 duratorq at the weekend, hose clamps are to be banned! Of course the easy to reach two or three all had the ‘locking open’ mechanism. The one buried almost behind the engine, on a short and inflexible hose, that required small tools and amazing dexterity was of course rusted and of the non-locking open variety. 👿 👿 👿

martinhutch

Probably caused by a stray stone under the bonnet.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8[/video]

Northwind

matt_outandabout – Member

Having just replaced thermostat on 2.0 duratorq at the weekend, hose clamps are to be banned!

When I was replacing the turbo I had a rare moment of prescience and bought a massive bag of stainless hose clamps off ebay, so whenever I found a corroded-into-a-single-lump OE ford one I could just snap it off and replace it. Just add one cordless screwdriver with flexible extension. I felt like nostradibnah.

Kryton57

Strangely, its now stopped!

Saccades
    Free Member

When I fitted my new pipe i “thought” i’d screwed that tricky to get to jubilee clip up tighter than a misers wallet.

Popped off just outside limerick on the way home after a wedding and meant the car had all or nothing power.

nearest car hire place open was shannon airport :good grief: so that turned a pleasant saunter home into a grumpy wasted afternoon and next day (going to get the car back).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ford TDCi – Ghost under the bonnet.’ is closed to new replies.