Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ford Puma clutch broken? advice please
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Stopped on the way home all fine. Got back in the car no resistance on clutch pedal. I’ve left it because I had to get home for my son. Any ideas hydraulic or cable? The car is a 1.7 Ford Puma 10 years old. Thanks in advance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

could be either

cable driven but there is still a master cylinder

first check would be check the cable is intact visually

check for fluid under the car / wet under tray

if all thats was good id change the master cylinder – its about 20-30 quid. no idea if its easy to get to on the puma though

Bucko

To the best of my knowledge they are hydraulic. My Fiesta had a similar problem, turned out to be a leaking fixing to the slave cylinder. All it took was a replacement (modified, so obviously a recognised fault) pipe and a quick bleed and it was sorted.

rootes1

slave cylinder and release bearing are integrated.

System is hydraulic

basic check, is their any fluid in the reservoir (item 1)?

Bucko

Number 4 was split and leaking on my Fiesta

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, back in the car waiting for the AA.

parkesie
    Free Member

If slave has bust its gearbox off new clutch and slave. Budget 3-400 for the job. If the cars generally sound no rust itl be worth doing. If like our old puma its held together by the paint id be looking to scrap it.
    Shame as it was a riot to drive.

spooky_b329

If its the same set up as the later (2004ish) Fiesta/Fusion, there is a retaining washer thing that connects the clutch pedal to the master cylinder. Its a known fault that they can fall off, you can fix it temporarily with cable ties etc, a new improved one at Ford cost me something like 25 pence! Symptom is a flappy pedal with no resistance whatsoever…it should be obvious when you get your head down in the footwell and look at the pedals.

Our recovery guy suggested that it looked like the master cylinder was weeping fluid which may have helped it fall off so we replaced that at the same time.

(On the diagram above there is a pin that connects the pedal to the piston where that hole is, it slips over the pin to hold it all together.)

1-shed
    Free Member

Just got home, the AA are the best a hose to the slave cylinder had popped off. Back on and the car is working 😀

CountZero

Good result!
    Wish I still had my Puma… *sigh*

parkesie
    Free Member

Result 🙂 love a easy fix

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help/advice STW can be AWESOME 😀

parkesie
    Free Member

If it ever needs suspension bushes fit the proflex kit front and rear was best single thing i did to ours.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ford Puma clutch broken? advice please’ is closed to new replies.