Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ford Mondeo Alernator Belt Replacement – how much?
  • Fred
    Free Member

As title, it’s a 1.8 TDCi

Thanks

Waderider
    Free Member

You could do it yourself in five minutes if you just believed me about how easy it is. Most times all you need to do is lever the tensioning pulley back so you can slip the belt on. Answer then, the cost of the belt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Belt cost + 30 minutes if you’re fairly new to mechanical work. If it’s a spring loaded tensioner, even less time as as waderider says you just lever it out of the way. You do need to be aware of correct tension range though, so you don’t find your new belt too slack or tight if you did no adjustments.

Junkyard
    Free Member

£30 ish from a garage- anything more is a tortal rip off IMHO but as above usually only one or two bolts to loosen to do. Less than 30 mins and my boat [ford diesel] one takes less than a minute as access is very easy

mc
    Free Member

It won’t be a 1.8tdci in a mondeo. It’ll either be a 2.0 or 2.2.

And they’ve got two belts. It’s normally the powersteering/waterpump belt above the gearbox that squeals, usually caused by the tensioner starting to fail.

Fred
    Free Member

MC it’s defo a 1.8 tdci from 2006

Waderider
    Free Member

Maybe try a Ford forum thread Fred if there is multiple belts etc.

If it is easy do it yourself, it’ll be the first step on a path of exciting spannering 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah they did do a 1.8 diesel I remember looking at one when I got mine it was a quite limited model

mc
    Free Member

Must of been very limited then, as I’ve never seen one :-/

In that case, belt is fairly easy to do provided the automatic adjuster isn’t seized. IIRC you need a 15mm spanner to lever the tensioner back (use the nut on the tensioner pulley). If it doesn’t move, then you’ve got a major problem, as changing the tensioner is a bit of a nightmare.

Fred
    Free Member

£80 including a new under tray is the answer, something flicked up and put a hole it before fouling the alternator belt.

Inbred456
    Free Member

No sorry, Ford never put the 1.8TDCI engine in a Mondeo only a 2.0 or a 2.2, check Parker’s if you want. They did put the old 1.8td engine in the previous model up to 2000. So you are either confused about the model or its a bodge job from a Focus. Is it the new shape one cos they have that engine in.

Fred
    Free Member

Sorry Inbred but your wrong, there’s a review here in Autoexpress from 2007 and oh the DVLA document says it’s a 1.8 to. 🙂
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/211794/ford_mondeo.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ford Mondeo Alernator Belt Replacement – how much?’ is closed to new replies.