Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ford Keyless Start Issues
  • cb

Hi, i have an 09 Mondeo with the keyless start ignition stuff. The whole car has been pretty faultless for the last 7/8 years but the damn keys have packed up.

One key fob started to have the battery low warning, which normally keeps working for quite a time. This time it wouldn’t even open the doors the following day. Now having to use the metal key insert from within the body of the keyfob and try to start the car before the alarm goes off.

The fob started working again when I changed the battery (the old one had leaked) so I thought all was well. Now though, back to sqaure one and the car only opens with the metal pin key and you have to insert the whole fob into the steering column to start the car.

Spare fob exactly the same, with new battery.

Forums not giving conclusive answers. Have booked it in for diagnostics in an independent but grateful for any tips from people that might have experienced the same?

Firmware, some electronic control box and immobilizer modules all mentioned online as possible causes! Hoping this won’t be a £500 fix!!

cb

no one?

Milkie
    Free Member

Have you tried syncing the key to the car?

Taken for PistonHeads:

For keyless systems to re synchronise the key:
    Remove remote from vehicle,lock using the door button.
    unlock using a programmed remote or using the key in the lock
    switch on ignition while holding lock or unlock of un-synched key.

Or for just re-programming you just press the start button in place of turning the key,with the clutch depressed and follow the instructions as per bladed key.

If it was a cheap battery for a multi-pack it may be flat from new. Try another battery.

Jamie
    Free Member

Your best bet is posting on Foc

cb

Milkie – thanks but no keys work so can’t follow that procedure.

Jamie – cheers, tried another Ford forum but that not that one.

nickdavies

If your putting the key into the hole to start it it means the key is totally dead and it’s having to read the key transponder directly from the ignition sensor. The ford keys don’t need reprogramming after a battery change.

First port of call would be fresh decent batteries, and test them first. IIRC they are CR2032’s, ask your local jeweller for a decent Swiss one, and get them to test.

If that doesn’t work it sounds like the car isn’t receiving. I’d be going back to ford rather than an Indy personally. I had a focus with keyless and I changed mine for some rayovacs I had from my last car, did the same thing. Brand new ones sorted it.

I changed the batteries in the van keys the other day, was still showing battery low after – batteries were half dead despite being brand new renata ones – they can often be duff.

cb

Will try new (and better) batteries. No doubt the ones I use from Amazon aren’t the best although they are Panasonic branded.

Seems more to it than keys though as when I did change the battery the first time, all was well for a short period of time.

Going back to Ford scares me as they really are crap near here. I guess I might end up there anyway. I am going to an indy electrics place rather than just a mech shop.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You may find an auto locksmith better than a general auto electrician. I had good service from Chris Aston in Stockport, he made and coded extra keys for my Focus at a very reasonable price.

cb

Thanks Greybeard – close to me.

Cougar

IIRC they are CR2032’s

From memory, the last one I changed had 2x 2016s.

Jamie
    Free Member
    nickdavies

From memory, the last one I changed had 2x 2016s

You can do either – lithiums are numbered on size 20mm wide x 16mm deep, 2 of those is the same as one 2032.

tthew

You can do either – lithiums are numbered on size 20mm wide x 16mm deep, 2 of those is the same as one 2032.

but that will also double the voltage, so a bad idea.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ford Keyless Start Issues’ is closed to new replies.