Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • For those with fat bike experience…
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, so I want to build up a fat front and looking at the options……

Is there a big weight difference between the Large Marge and Large Marge Lite to make the price difference worthwhile? And on a similar theme is there any benefit of the Surly rims over one of these which is a chunk cheaper….

Wheel linky

Tempted to have a go at building this up myself on a DMR singlespeed hub from CRC. Presumably these rims are no harder/easier than any other wheel to build and you follow the standard lacing pattern.

Oh and if anyone has a fat front they’re looking to offload, be it wheel and/or fork I’d be interested. Email is in profile.

Ta very much

trail_rat
    Free Member

FWIW based on my experiance with 100mm alaskan cycles rims which are great for float on sand and snow – if i was rebuilding my wheels (and im tempted to) ill get something about 60-70mm wide as A my wheel set weighs 12lbs and B my rims are so wide that on trails my sidewalls are very exposed.

and i realise that doesnt answer the question but if you want my advice its keep your wheel as light as possible because its going to be heavy by default.

druidh
    Free Member

That Rockman rim is only 47mm so it’ll build a narrower rim/tyre combination. That means less “float”.

The drilled rims are quite a bit lighter but are usually advertised as being “only for use on snow and/or sand”. Experience indicates that they are strong enough for most riders though.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m running the driller Rolling Daryls (82mm). So far, the rims seem to be escaping any damage. They weigh 190g more than a Marge Lite though.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok so the chances are this will get very little use on snow or sand, if i’m honest i’m very much jumping on the bandwagon of ‘these things look fun and i want a go’ so it’ll be fat front for trail riding. 😳

Given that i’m relatively heavy (14 stone ish) and i’ll be clattering it over roots it sounds like the drilled rim may not be the best option given they’re not the cheapest….although i appreciate the weight comment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im drilled too 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

I have a fatback fork and two fat tyres for sale. mail me

Gotama
    Free Member

Mail sent

peanut
    Free Member

I have no ‘proper’ fat experience, but do have two fat-front bikes with wheels built up from similar 47mm wide trials bike rims from Tartybike ( Trilatech sl rears as used by Sandman bikes). These are specifically used on trails/singletrack and are often used on pretty rough stuff eg Cymcarn, Afan, The Lakes etc. They have performed superbly and the theory is that the narrower rim gives a more ’rounded’ tyre profile thats better for trail riding rather than snow/sand. Way cheaper and bit lighter than Surly too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks peanut. Out of interest what frames have you got the fat front on?

peanut
    Free Member

Currently an On One Scandal with Maverick SC32 fork and 1×9, and a Singular Pegasus with Salsa Enabler, ss.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ta. Front is being built for a ss swift so similar to the pegasus but going via a yelli screamy purely cos i’m curious.

peanut
    Free Member

Not sure if this will work, but just tried to post couple of images.

Photo0061 by pig-pog, on Flickr

Photo0062 by pig-pog, on Flickr

Gotama
    Free Member

Looks like a lot of fun, particularly the on one with the duc fork. Shame they went bust.

peanut
    Free Member

Yeah, not convinced I’ve got the forks set up properly to be honest. Much prefer the Singular!

coastkid
    Free Member

47mm wide rim up front will give a nice round profile to a 3.7″ Surly Larry/Nate tyre and be fine on regular trails and ideal if your not heading down the beach, or want to wait another 40 years for another apocalypse Artic winter (fingers crossed though) 🙂

You deft wont bend one riding trails, i have some Kris Holm 47mm rims (29er) and they are proper bombproof 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Blimey peanut I’ve just bought a brg scandal and some sc32s and also have a Pegasus- damn you have good taste in bikes!

scaredypants

… duc fork. Shame they went bust

Did they ? 🙁

singlespeedstu

You could always get a LM rim and drill it yourself.

I seriously dought that you’d damage one of these things and you can tubless them easy enough.

2011_0212holeymarge0004 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

coastkid
    Free Member

Are you and your fat (Riding) buddies coming to the Fatbike meet in October Stu? be great to meet up with you guys 🙂

singlespeedstu

We can’t make it as we’ll be in France. 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

Ok, maybe next time… 🙂

singlespeedstu

I hope so. 8)

theyak
    Free Member

The Yak has some fatbike experience since borrowing one recently. The Yak liked the heavy wheel for its ability to keep rolling, like a car with a heavy fly wheel or limp bizkit.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Maverick didn’t go bust, the ownership of the name and rights are back with Paul Turner the original designer.
    You can still get parts from Tim@Sideways here and if you go on mtbr forums there is always somebody to advise and help.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘For those with fat bike experience…’ is closed to new replies.