Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • For those DHers out there…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

If you could only afford one, which I can, would you buy a neck brace, or body armour, such as the 661 Core Saver?

LoCo
    Free Member

body armour a full suit if you can stretch to it.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Pro pressure suit for me, I'm not that fashionable or fast.

mikey74
    Free Member

Well I already have knee/shins and elbow pads so probably don't need a full suit.

jam-bo

I wouldn't bother with either.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Both, I use a leatt adventure for motocross and would recommend one. This thread could be akin to opening a large can of worms if the debate on SDH (and the various helmet debates on here) are anything to go by!

Iain

mikey74
    Free Member

(to Jam bo) why?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Without a shadow of a doubt, the body armour.[/u]

Neck brace and no armour is akin to riser bars with bar ends.

There's some debate as to whether neck braces actually serve any real purpose, and even more of a question as to whether they can work without body/shoulder armour. And remember, even a slip whilst pushing up in a neck brace and no helmet can put you in a wheelchair for life, very easily.

Don't even think about it. Get the body armour. Save up for a neck brace, then change your mind and spend the savings on uplifts and races instead.

fatboyslim
    Free Member

I got a 661 body armour suit, I then unzipped the spine protector because it's short and removed the kidney belt, and then on ebay bought a dainese spine protector that motor bikers wear under their leather jackets to do the same job. Works a treat.

jam-bo

Because if I wear body armour I get hotter, fatigue quicker and crash more.

Neck braces? A triumph of marketing over risk assessment.

All my own viewpoint and one I'm sticking too.

kimbers

661 assault body armour here

after tumbling down a very sharp rocky mountainside at the mega last year ive no doubt it saved my bacon

edit
    if its too tiring to ride in body armour just get fitter!

mikey74
    Free Member

I had wondered about the benefit of the neck braces: Hence, the question.

bruneep

jam bo – Member

Because if I wear body armour I get hotter, fatigue quicker and crash more.

Neck braces? A triumph of marketing over risk assessment.

All my own viewpoint and one I'm sticking too.

+1

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

The beauty of body armour is it lets you ride the next day…a medium/heavy crash without and you'll be feeling it the next day (and straight after).

grumm
    Free Member

I was glad of the 661 full suit at the Mega last year too. not that horribly hot either I didn't find.

singlespeedstu

Are neck braces not just to wear while walking around the carpark at the Forest Of Dean.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

after a nasty crash i had 2 weeks ago u bruised ribs and my shouler so i bought one. it arrived yday. it looks strong and sturdy for a full armour.

i had shin/knee already so i needed only the top half.
    its great but i think it will be hot.
    but i want my ribs and shuolder so if i am hot im hot. atleast i no im safer 😉

grahamt1980

kimbers – Member

661 assault body armour here

after tumbling down a very sharp rocky mountainside at the mega last year ive no doubt it saved my bacon

Having watched that crash I will agree would have seriously hurt without some pads. Personally would go for armour then decide if you want to save for the neck brace

mikewsmith
    Free Member

661 assault suit is good (If they still make them)
    Got some daineese shorts with hard pads on the thighs (6 crashes to lake)
    knee & shin
    elbows depending on the mood.

Reason I wear it because crashing hurts, in a wet crappy forest in march I dont sweat – ever, however I do crash and it does hurt

Kuco

Big neck braces and no body armour was all the thing in the alps last year with all the kids. Personally and I did I went for the body armour. I can highly recommend the POC stuff.

mikey74
    Free Member

This may be a daft question, but can you wear camelbaks (or in my case: the Dakine Nomad) with suits that have spine protectors? I am looking at the 661 core saver, but I have always ridden with a backpack and prefer the convenience of them.

GavinB

If you already have the elbows and shins/knees then a short sleeved armour top would be ideal, there are a few out there by Dainese and POC (but pricey).

Oh, and you can wear a hydration pack over the top of them – can be awkward to get on and off with the shoulder armour, but works.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Right my 2 pennies worth…

I own the following…

1)Dainese gladiator body armour (shortsleeve with backplate, chest and shoulder pads)
    2)POC VPD vest (just back plate)
    3)Leatt Moto GPX neckbrace

I wear 2)

Shoulder and chest pads don't really do a lot (except prevent scrapes) but spine guards can really save you. Any over the bar offs you just aim to land flat on your back and you can carry on riding.
    I just don't really get on with the leatt – anyone want to buy it?

solamanda
    Free Member

Armour but only if you are using uplift. Otherwise I just run a stand alone back protector or kidney belt as it doesn't make me hot.

IMHO neck braces do more damage than good. The push up trip over risk probably out weighs the protection and like **** do I want to remove one for every run. Good idea if you are racing and take it off each run but no thanks for real world Bimble DH (TM).

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I have a dakine nomad as it happens and I used it during our dh trip to morzine with my 661 pro pressure suit. Except I didn't use the spine protector. I looked at it in that the water bladder would do an alright job instead. I can't remember having any bad impacts on my back but I didn't get any back injuries from the smaller hits either.

oh and on the original question up top – body armour abso-bloody-lutely.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I have pretty much decided to go with the body armour, for my trip to Whistler. I have had the same experience with regard to the water bladder offering some kind of protection, but I am sure it wouldn't do much good in a serious spill. I do like the look of the 661 Core Saver, as it appears to be a bit cooler than the others.

I might have to take my Nomad into a shop and try one on, hahaha.

phutphutend

The Southern Yeti – Member

I just don't really get on with the leatt – anyone want to buy it?

I might be up for buying your Leatt. Email me please, see my profile.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘For those DHers out there…’ is closed to new replies.