Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • For the Shand owner who has it all
  • vorlich
    Free Member
    d45yth
    Free Member

It looks far too diy for me. There are some similar storage solutions that are much neater or look better. The above might have been better if it had some proper drawers underneath.

I don’t know how they polished the copper either, but 30hrs to do it? 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

So that’s what my plumber gets up to in his spare time.

richpips
    Free Member

I like the concept. The wheels would have to be level though.

Oh. and the copper looks like it has cable ties fixing it to the wood.

iolo
    Free Member

Why?

cookeaa

The meticulous custom copper work (which took over 30 hours just to polish) was created with Kieth Livingston – a heating engineer so meticulous we simply had to collaborate!

Heating Engineer? its spelt plumber round my way…

I never tire of the yuppie bicyclist, artizan twattery, but really they missed a trick by not hooking all that pipework up to a Gaggia…

Jamie
    Free Member

….oh, and the fact the it’s not symmetrical is gnawing on my eyeballs.

Anyway. There’s nothing wrong with a fancy stand. Just needs to be done right, and not look like someone had a trolley dash in the plumbing aisle of Homebase.

vorlich
    Free Member

Nobody wants to moan about the logos/valves?

I like it. Well, the plumbed bit anyway. Would I want one? No. It’d make a nice display for frame builder though…

jimc101
    Free Member

Bikes the wrong way round for taking a photo as well, and the cranks aren’t level/wrong side forward, there are rules#26 for taking photos of bikes.

Northwind

I like that. It’s silly and yeah I suppose it looks a bit more lashed up than it really is (but I kind of like that too) but it’s basically cool.

Is it plumbed in? Does it dry towels?

Also, is there any point in polishing copper, it’ll tarnish again unless coated won’t it?

rOcKeTdOg

The copper pipe is probably worth more than the bike

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Looks like a hotel luggage trolley.
    Wicker basket is a nice touch 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So that’s what my plumber Jeff Jones gets up to in his spare time.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Just for clarification, that’s not our work! We loaned a bike out to some local designers for a photoshoot. I’m sure that’s obvious but just in case…..

bedmaker

Suitably robust 😛

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

The great thing about bikes is that you can put them on the floor.

Jamie
    Free Member

Suitably robust

Hmm. It’s nice, but without a wicker basket, I’m not sure it’s structurally sound.

takisawa2

My £4 Halfords wheel hooks are cheaper, more practical & betterer.

Jamie
    Free Member

My £4 Halfords wheel hooks are cheaper, more practical & betterer.

Here’s the thing, it’s fun to mock, but I do like the fact there are people out there doing stuff like this. And yes, the humble halfords wheel hook might do the job fine, but nothing wrong with adding a bit of design/flair to a mundane item/funtion.

It’s just, in this case, it doesn’t work. Copper pipe/soldered joints, are just not aesthetically pleasing, even if attempting a industrial look. Also, the strength/durability of copper as a weight bearing material is not a great selling point either.

bedmaker

I was going to photoshop this in, but don’t have the skills. If only that Mrs Toast was about, or some other skilled graphic designer willing to do humorous stuff for free.

acehtn
    Free Member

ohhh, bedmaker 🙂

Keyclamps and galv tube, what i use at work, i could replicate that at home no bother 🙂

stoffel
    Free Member

Jamie’s example is much, much better. And those shelves/boxes look like they’re doetailed. Nice.

northernmatt

No one mentioned yet that it’s £4800! Materials can’t cost any more than £400.

bencooper
    Free Member

Have you seen how much a plumber charges per day?! 😉

acehtn
    Free Member

£4800 🙂

Lets see, trade of course, budget.
    Bedmakers got over a length of galv tube there, say £50-60 for pipe.
    Then four top corners, looks like four short T’s and maybe four base rounds.
    So about £100-120 including cutting i could knock up a bedmaker.

+bespoke handcrafting on the edge of exmoor, labour, shipping….bit of weight there.
    Hmmmm… sharp intake of breathe….. if you fit it yourself, you will need a 1/4″ key for the clamps mind….. i reckon i could do for £2000 🙂 i will throw in a key for the clamps.

Jamie
    Free Member

Have you seen how much a plumber charges per day?!

Plus they will piss off to another job, halfway through making it 😡

acehtn
    Free Member

don’t modern plumbers just use pvc pipe and push fit connectors these days ?
    So old school craftmanship and blow torch soldering skills, so in modern terms thats bespoke craft, which is costly.

Reckon i could do a deal on the copper based one with pine boarding for £3000 cash plus vat and shipping 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘For the Shand owner who has it all’ is closed to new replies.