Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • For the planespotters: Mosquito maiden flight
  • chopperT
    Free Member

Very privileged today to watch the newly restored Mosquito take off for it’s maiden flight. They’ve been doing power runs and taxis all week, and today was the day.

youtube

cranberry
    Free Member

lovely looking planes – good to see that one will soon be flying again.

wwaswas

I love the shape of the Mosquito – always my favourite Airfix kit – hope it’ll come over here one day I’d like to see one in flight.

boblo
    Free Member

Where from please?

chopperT
    Free Member

It took off from Ardmore, Auckland NZ, and landed at Auckland Int., due to the larger runway (in case of trouble). It returned to Ardmore later in the afternoon.
    It has Royal Air Force serial number KA114, and belongs to American collector Jerry Yagen, built by Avspecs.
    Some great pics at Avspecs website:

http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/

Macgyver

oooh Nice. I think a friends brother had a big part in restoring that. Great to see one up there again.

boblo
    Free Member

Aw ****, won’t be watching that then. 🙁

FB-ATB

Boblo
    I think the owner in previous interviews had hinted he’d like it to attend some UK airshows. Assuming you’re in the UK!

scaredypants

I love the shape of the Mosquito – always my favourite Airfix kit

Agreed, or maybe it was just easy to build ?

wwaswas

Maybe 🙂

I tweeted the link above and mentioned the Airfix thing. @Airfix just retweeted me…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked”.

Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering

cynic-al
    Free Member

No wonder it didn’t take off in that vid, one of the props was barely turning 😉

wwaswas

and it wasn’t on a conveyor belt.

Memories;

MrWoppit
    Free Member

After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked”.

How times change…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Indeed Woppit, and you only have to look at the first car that BMW ever produced for another example.

rkk01
    Free Member

So, is there any footage of this Mossie in action?

scuzz
    Free Member

YES!
    This is utterly brilliant. Thanks for posting 🙂

wwaswas

I suspect there’ll be more video up post the official launch day;

http://www.facebook.com/events/284857721628741/

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They intend to restore three Mosquitoes altogether. Interesting article :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/eastern-courier/7624083/Air-show-take-off-for-WWII-bomber

Macgyver

yep, just checked and it is my friends brothers who run the company that fixed this. Wonder if he can blag a ride!

I think they had to remake the moulds to laminate up the fusilage. Something that hasn’t really been done for this purpose since WW2.

blurty

My wife’s grandfather used to be an armourer in Lincolnshire during the war. He used to arm Mosquitos with rockets. He had some amazing stories but one thing he did emphasise was that the ‘young bloods’ who flew mosquitos were amazingly brave just to fly in them, never mind fight in them. Apparently the whole aircraft would creak and shake very disturbingly in normal flight. If the machine guns were fired, or aerobatics flown them disturbing would become quite terrifying.

Sometimes aircrew would land and crack-up – refuse to get back into the things next time.

JulianA
    Free Member

I am privileged to have known someone who was a photo reconnaissance pilot in Mosquitos and Spitfires.

Of course he wouldn’t have had any ill effects due to firing the machine guns… as he didn’t have any! I’ve always thought that flying an unarmed aircraft over occupied territory to photograph it requIred as much courage as flying in combat, as the enemy were presumably keen to prevent us photographing and identifying targets for the bombers, but I don’t think he saw it that way.

A true gentleman, he is missed.

Back on topic, let’s hope that a Mossie or two make it over here! Interesting comment from blurty as I thought that it was supposed to be a lovely aircraft to fly.

Also, love the story about the Mossie that shot down two ME262s in one night. Can’t have happened too often!

CountZero

Sadly, the only Mossie that flew in the UK was sold to Kermit Weeks in the US.
    As was the only Sunderland… 🙁

rkk01
    Free Member

Interesting comment from blurty as I thought that it was supposed to be a lovely aircraft to fly.

That’s what I was told by a former Mossie pilot – fantastic to fly. I do remember him saying that the prop tips were unnervingly close though!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘For the planespotters: Mosquito maiden flight’ is closed to new replies.