Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • For the love of cars
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Yay, more retro Golf goodness.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Isn’t next weeks for the love of cars a mk1 golf too?

jools182
    Free Member

Nice work on the Mk1 golf

I’ve had three, sold the last one a couple of years ago

Did you have lots of rust around the fuel pump? It wrote off my second one

Drapoon
    Free Member

Hi chaps

Rust you say? Yeh absolutely everywhere. Car has had new wings, sills, front and rear valance, sills inner and outer, arches, rear chassis legs and scuttle tray. Will put a link to my photobucket for the whole sorry saga for those interested. Yep got a lower strut brace. Running kw coilovers and 15″ corrado steelies, fully polybushed every nut bolt etc stainless where appropriate. I replaced fuel pump cradle for a stainless item nothing left of original. Just cant wait to drive it!

somafunk

Nice one 😀 , the poly bushing makes a big difference at the expense of some cabin chatter/comfort but worth it in my opinion – that’ll be a hoot to drive……I’m envious but will hopefully have mine back on the road later on this year.

If you haven’t already (which you prob have) then i’d suggest a proper 4 wheel alignment from a suitable garage/suspension set-up place using eibach rear shims for camber correction (i used star performance) – made a noticeable difference to how my golf held the road.

Mine has had entire rear boot panel including lower valence, rear outer arches + inner arches, rear quarter panels + inner arches, both door panels, all interior floor panels, front wings/inner wing arches, new jacking points, lower valence and front grill, bumpers and all plastic trims…..it may as well get done right as they was a fair few previous dodgy repairs done over it’s 30y lifetime so i stripped it back to a bare skeletal chassis to make sure it doesn’t need done at any point in the next 30 years.

chrissyharding
    Free Member

193 bhp. Lovely.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm I loved my mk1 golf gtiS ……

Had a 4speed and and a 5 speed 1600 both in Mars red ..back in the day 🙂

when I bought an Evo iv it reminded me of the golf with the tartan recaros an black plastic…and pretty much the same ethos of being a tad crap inside but just so much fun to drive…

boblo
    Free Member

Back on topic, that episode on the River SD1 was lame. No real build shots save putting a thrust bearing in a clutch and just sequences of Glenister and the ladies eye candy pissing about. Last one for me. Haarrump.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Lovely looking MK1 there.

Still miss mine 15 years after selling it. Fitted with the 1800 16v from a MK2, coilovers, Corrado interior etc. Very fast and great fun.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Yeah wasn’t the best episode. My favourite one was with the Mexico from last series as that’s got to be my dream car or a close second is a MK1 Gti like the ones above and I think this weeks episode is a 80s hot hatches but I’m not sure exactly what one they’ll be doing up.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I always fancied the ZX, one of the first diesel ‘hot’ hatches. cheap, but don’t know how nasty

T1000
    Free Member

nice Mk1 build, I miss the two that I had, mate had a wonderful lhd Mk1 16v

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – A quaife diff makes a real difference to the way the golf handles, there’s very little understeer and the extra grip makes itself noticeable on exits. A standard gti will even benefit from one but they’re not cheap – relatively simple to fit and very reliable (touch-wood)

Cheers fella, I thought very hard about one a few years back and then got distracted by something else. To be honest, I’m more likely to fit one to the Corrado – currently being resprayed – which is a slightly different can of fish, but still really good fun.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

The Fiat turbo ie, I bet they’re rare.
    Can’t imagine they come up for sale very often or indeed ever!

fin25
    Free Member

My oldest brother’s mate had a mk1 Fiat Uno turbo when I was a kid. To this day, I have not come close to the fear associated with being a passenger in that loonbucket…

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

T1000 – Member
    nice Mk1 build, I miss the two that I had, mate had a wonderful lhd Mk1 16v

Was that lhd one a conversion or one of the French Oettinger 16s ones? Rare as rocking horse **** if it’s an Oettinger.

T1000
    Free Member

French gti 16s it was lovely in a really unusual black as well

Long gone unfortunately used to leave mk2 16vs standing

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My oldest brother’s mate had a mk1 Fiat Uno turbo when I was a kid. To this day, I have not come close to the fear associated with being a passenger in that loonbucket…

My brother had one. Going rather fast in a car with the structural integrity of a coke can gave a new dimension to fear….

dudeofdoom

Mmm like the phrase loonbucket reminds me of a ride in renault 5gt turbo thru bristol late one night…

loxy
    Free Member

Mines a VW too, slightly different shape to the ones above though….

Owned it for 9 years, made a few mods, rebuilt engine with twin carbs, stroker crank and racier cam,lowered and narrowed suspension with adjustable air shocks, Porsche 944 discs/Hubs with wildwood calipers. Still only got 60k on the clock.

simmy
    Free Member

Various 80’s & 90’s hot hatches now feel so unrefined but have such character.

I agree about the structural integrity. I saw a lad in a Fiesta RS Turbo a while back and he looked like he had squeezed himself in. It looked so much smaller than my 2 year old Fiesta.

Other character building late night rides back in the day…..

Metro GTI
    Citroen AX GT – I bought one for £100 for a laugh but some kids nicked it and drove it round the local BMX track 😯
    Nissan Sunny GTIR – 160 mph on the speedo on the M62…..
    Pug 205 GTI

All had the strength of the bit of foil from under a meat and potato pie.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry the 500 wouldnt go to auction. **** the ring.

matt_outandabout

It was a wee gem that car.

toppers3933
    Free Member

About the only fiat you get me owning. And what Hora says. seemed a lot for a ring.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep me too, I said to Mrs S that she’d only pee off and leave him whereas he could keep the car forever. I was most disappointed that MrsS declared her love for the car over her beloved 02 plated Beetle that she cherished up until tonight 🙄

hora
    Free Member

She looked like the sort that wanted a standard age old concept/bragging right on her false nails finger. That sounds harsh and callous I know but in this case that 500 transended ‘man car’ (mans version of her ring) bollocks

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Is Asif the property developer going to buy all the cars Ant and Glenister take to that auction? That’s three now isn’t it???
    😯

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘For the love of cars’ is closed to new replies.