Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • For some reason I found that ride quite hard…
  • R.lepecha

The ride I’ve just been on was really difficult, I’m not too sure why though.
    I taken similar routes before and its never bothered me but today I felt sick after the ride.
    Anyone ever had the same feeling?
    Could it be because I have been away for 2 weeks in Cuba where I didn’t ride at all?
    Earlier this week I covered the same distance without an issue, but I took an hour longer. Did I push too hard today? <–This really wouldn’t surprise me after giving chase to some one on a red and white Cube in Lycra up a hill right at the end of the ride, although I did pass him. Could be someone on here?

This is the tracked route from today

And to the two guys on Ti On-ones who are very likely to be on here, Hello if you are.

nedrapier

Come back from Cuba with an interesting tropical disease?

Only partly joking…

R.lepecha

One with symptoms that only occur when riding a bike?

😛

R.lepecha

bump for the later crowd who may have other ideas.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Plane trip=other peoples bugs and viruses.
    Dont worry about it unless it persists.

flow
    Free Member

Distance 11.6 mi
    Elevation Gain 598 ft
    Elapsed Time 01:09:09
    Moving Time 01:04:46
    Resting Time 00:04:23
    Average Speed 10.8 mph

If you were going fast/hard you are very unfit

Andyhilton
    Free Member

+1

R.lepecha

On a single speed.

Its not the easiest of routes, quite a few of the hills have unavoidable roots in large amounts that take some effort to get up.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Recently when I have been going out for short quick hour long rides I have been feeling sick from early on. After a few weeks I worked out that it was heartburn, I get it reasonably often now especially when riding hard or getting annoyed at the kids. I never even registered that I suffered from heartburn until a couple of months ago.

flow
    Free Member

Elevation gain of 598 ft isn’t what I would call hilly but….

In that case I would suggest using a bike with gears and spinning up the hills until you get a bit fitter, that way you might not feel like crap at the end of the route.

Like you said you are going to hard, so a single speed isn’t going to help things.

flow
    Free Member

I Ache, you could have something called a hiatal hernia, then again I could be wrong. I’m not a doctor, but my brother suffers from it and he has the same symptoms.

Google it.

R.lepecha

why would I want to ride a geared bike?

You seem to think I am unfit by that route, If I’m un-fit what the hell is being fit like?

I cant be that un-fit if I passed the guy on the Cube who was wearing the fully Lycra outfit.

flow
    Free Member

Obviously you already know what you are doing so why are you asking for advice?

bikebouy
    Free Member

IMO you’ve just pushed alittle too hard early on.

Trip away and rest, then the last ride you ran on adrenaline and enthusiasm, this ride you’ve still got tired legs and are feeling the effects, quite simple really, just take the next couple of rides easier and build back up to where you were before.
    And don’t stress over this, it’s normal.
    Focus on the environment on the next ride instead of pushing yourself, you’ll find it’s far nicer!

toys19
    Free Member

R.lepehca – I would be interested to know What the terrain was likE before I would even consider a judgement about your fitness, off road, really stony, gravelly, hard packed canal tow path, new tarmac? It all makes a difference.

If you want to test your fitness do a bleep test. I have a bleep test MP3 I can send you.

You might have been dehydrated, or undernourished, there are a multitude of reasons why you might have had a hard time. Possibly you did the trail really really fast and actually just knackered yourself out.

Oh and Flow is hideous troll and pretty much everything he says is to try and wind you up.

From a recent thread

flow – Member ………. just winding these bunch of couch potato wannabe MTB’ers up.

R.lepecha

Im not saying I do know what im doing.

I asked for advise on why I felt like I did after that ride.

You some how can work out from one ride that I am unfit, I’m 16 and I weigh somewhere in the regions of 66kg. If that’s unfit then I dont know what I’ve been doing for the past 3 years years riding my bike.

R.lepecha

I would be interested to know What the terrain was likE before I would even consider a judgement about your fitness, off road, really stony, gravelly, hard packed canal tow path, new tarmac? It all makes a difference.

Theres a bit of everything in there, an old like patchwork rough road, some canal tow path, some gravelly, not much stony, a lot of soft ground like loamy type stuff.

Dehydration could be it, I forgot my bottle but I never felt like I needed it. I probably did though!

Yes could you please send me that bleep test please?
    Dont you need a hall of certain length to do it in though?

I did a few at school a few months back(when I personally felt weaker) and I managed to be in the last two. We both failed at the same time.

flow
    Free Member

For example I wouldn’t say I was fit, and this is the small route I did yesterday along the cliffs.

Distance 9.70 miles
    Duration 00:57:54
    Avg speed 10.01 mph
    Avg pace 05:58 min/mi
    Max speed 24.9 mph
    Total ascent +1445 ft
    Total decent -1445 ft

Toys19, stop shite stirring, this isn’t a playground, grow up.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you get small illnesses that you don’t notice in terms of other symptoms, but can really take the edge off performance on the bike.

It happens, ignore it. If it happens all the time then you have an issue 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

In this weather (for me anything over 18 degrees) I find I have the best rides when I water load as much as possible beforehand – I often ride at 5 -6 pm, so I just make sure you to a few pints of water through the day. It makes a real difference. I also find that I ride better if I’ve had good sleep and had a medium sized meal a couple of hours before.

an old like patchwork rough road, … some gravelly, … a lot of soft ground like loamy type stuff.

All of those are going to be hard work aren’t they?

Flow – I’m just letting the poor guy know what he is dealing with, he came here for advice, so far all you have done is be negative. You wouldn’t want another ban would you?

R.lepecha

Yeah, that gravel is always really soft so its like loamy ground but at the same time there’s never any bloody grip on it.

toys19
    Free Member

If you google dehydration and fatigue there is loads of stuff – OK it’s hard to find the actual facts but it’s something like 2% dehydration reduces performance by 20%.

flow
    Free Member

I’m trying to help him out if you read the damn post!

Edit: Ahhh that reminds me, you are the forum grass 😈

njee20
    Free Member

I cant be that un-fit if I passed the guy on the Cube who was wearing the fully Lycra outfit.

Totally irrelevant, unfortunately as is your weight, but no one’s in a position to comment on your fitness.

Personally I’d just say it’s becuase you’ve not ridden for a couple of weeks. I was away for 10 days, eating out, getting fat etc, then got a bit of a cold, and it’s ruined me! Did 60 miles on the road on Sunday and really struggled, vastly slower than a similar route 2 weeks previous.

flow
    Free Member

How is his weight irrelevant?

angryratio
    Free Member

I often wonder why people consult this forum instead of just seeing a GP.

I would’nt want the world knowing i’d caught galloping arse rot from a flight.
    It’s between me and my indiscrete GP.

njee20
    Free Member

I weigh somewhere in the regions of 66kg. If that’s unfit then I dont know what I’ve been doing for the past 3 years years riding my bike.

Weight and fitness are not inextricably linked. There are plenty of 9 stone folk who are very unfit, and some 15 stone people who are rather fit indeed.

Find some anorexic and put them against Chris Hoy.

flow
    Free Member

If you are heavier you have more weight to carry so that would infact make you slower than if you weighed less, fitness being the same.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, but you can’t assume that lighter = fitter. My point was solely linked to the above quote, that providing his weight is not conclusive of his fitness. He could be 3ft tall.

I am 24, and weigh 1kg more, ergo am I slower? No way of knowing.

warton
    Free Member

If you are heavier you have more weight to carry so that would infact make you slower than if you weighed less

total garbage. two people who are exactly the same height and body fat, yet one weighs more than the other because he has bigger leg muscles. whos going to be the slowest?

molgrips
    Free Member

Heavier people are often more powerful. Power to weight ratio is important. You can have the same power to weight ratio by being heavy and powerful or light and less powerful. Obviously.

And there are other factors too.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Its hayfever.come winter it`ll all be fine again ;O)

toys19
    Free Member

I think the fail here is equating fitness with efficiency .

For example if you way 60kg, then in pure physics theory it takes less energy to move you a hill than a 100kg person. But if you weigh 60 kg and are really unfit and very fat then you will take longer to get up the hill and possibly use more energy than the 100kg person. As its a dynamic problem and your fat, unfit 60kg is probably very crap at converting energy in to forward motion..

DenDennis
    Free Member

@OP- sometimes one just has ‘off’ days- if you’re not feelin it, go easy and live to ride another day. 😀

flow – Member

For example I wouldn’t say I was fit, and this is the small route I did yesterday along the cliffs.

Distance 9.70 miles
    Duration 00:57:54
    Avg speed 10.01 mph
    Avg pace 05:58 min/mi
    Max speed 24.9 mph
    Total ascent +1445 ft
    Total decent -1445 ft

Flow- 24.9mph max speed doesn’t look massive to me for 1445ft of descending- please explain.

njee20
    Free Member

Again, that’s irrelevant surely?!

This has >3500ft descending, and only 26mph max.

flow
    Free Member

Flow- 24.9mph max speed doesn’t look massive to me for 1445ft of descending- please explain.

Whats max speed got to do with anything?

It was along the cliffs with lots of shortish climbs/descents, and most annoyingly, walkers.

I was pointing out I did roughly the same distance with 3 times as much climbing in the same time, and I wouldn’t say at the minute I’m particularly fit, so neither is he.

total garbage. two people who are exactly the same height and body fat, yet one weighs more than the other because he has bigger leg muscles. whos going to be the slowest?

Muscle size has nothing to do with muscle endurance. You can have big muscles due to having well developed slow twitch fibres, that will not help you much in a cycling race.

toys19
    Free Member

I was pointing out I did roughly the same distance with 3 times as much climbing in the same time, and I wouldn’t say at the minute I’m particularly fit, so neither is he.

As has been pointed out one cannot easily compare you both like this, perhaps you should take the OP’s gpx and go and do it yourself and see how you do. Other than that it seems the only way your argument works is if you ignore the basics of logic..

Given that R.lepecha has stated that he thinks he might be reasonably fit I see no reason to doubt him, other than to try and belittle him or point score. If he thinks he’s reasonably fit then he probably is, trying to gauge his level of fitness remotely and with so little information will only be an enormous stab in the dark. Secondly I don’t think his fitness is the issue given that he has done the same route before without any problems, so he is essentially comparing himself with himself, which is probably quite sensible. So why don’t we all forget this pointless line of conversation and get back to thinking about why he may have felt crap on the day in question compared to all the other times he’s been out.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Same problem every time I get back from Cuba – don’t worry about it.

warton
    Free Member

Muscle size has nothing to do with muscle endurance. You can have big muscles due to having well developed slow twitch fibres, that will not help you much in a cycling race.

slow twitch muscles won’t help you in a cycling race? really? are you quite sure about that?

flow
    Free Member

Toys19, how the hell are you helping.

Warton, do you actually know what slow and fast twitch fibres do?

Obviously not.

Have a read of this, you might learn something.

http://www.ultracycling.com/training/training_with_purpose.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘For some reason I found that ride quite hard…’ is closed to new replies.