Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Footie fans/followers – do you care about Euro 2012
  • IHN

[NOTE – if you don’t like football, find another thread to play in]

Now, I’m not an avid fan, but I do usually look forward to major tournaments. I know we’re not going to win anything, but it’s good to follow the highs and eventual lows of Engurlund down the pub with a few pints and a few mates and lots of others people doing the same thing.

Thing is, I really couldn’t give a hoot about Euro2012. I know it starts soon (I’m not actually sure when) and when it does, I’m not sure I’ll care.

Anyone else similarly apathetic?

weeksy

Nopes. I’m a Scouser.

“we’re not English we are Scouse”

Was a song from the Kop for many years, showing the divide in loyalty.

The song came about after a terrible tournament from England and in particular Gerrard, who was taking abuse from visiting fans.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I know what you mean I feel decidedly “non plussed” even although I got used to Scotland not being there years ago…

loddrik
    Free Member

Nopes. I’m a Scouser.
    “we’re not English we are Scouse”

This, but then you all knew this about me anyway.

I hope England go out at the group stages.

yossarian
    Free Member

i’m not too bothered by it all. all the racist shit from the home fans including the terry/ferdinand stuff has put me off. the euros are always grittier than the world cup but i fear they might plumb new depths this time.

just hope hodgson uses some of the younger players and plays a team for the future. hate watching JT in an england shirt, not fit to wear it.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

nah – the players don’t ever seem to give a t0ss, so why should I?

jimster
    Free Member

I think the press are apethetic towards Euro 2012 because of the following –

a) England have a new manager in Roy Hodgson.
    b) He’s inherited Capello’s team.
    c) The press would’ve loved to have seen how they’d with Stuart “I’m English & Proud” Pearce would’ve got on.
    d) The Olympic’s are on.

Coyote
    Free Member

The world ends. I agree with loddrik.

After England couldn’t be bothered to qualify for the last Euros and then couldn’t be arsed in SA I decided I couldn’t be arsed either. Then Roy Hodson came in and built a squad containing the same old tired players that have consistently failed year on year.

When we get a manager with a set of bollocks who is not afraid to drop every player over the age of 24 and start again from scratch then I may be interested again.

#Edit

hate watching JT in an england shirt, not fit to wear it

This x1000. Despicable person. Just cannot understand the whole “JT” cult thing.

wrecker
    Free Member

c) The press would’ve loved to have seen how they’d with Stuart “I’m English & Proud” Pearce would’ve got on.

I think the fans might too.
    I might have watched it or at least followed it a little if Pearce had been kept on. Instead we got;

Roy Hodson came in and built a squad containing the same old tired players that have consistently failed year on year.

CBA

molgrips
    Free Member

Always up for a big tournament. Not just because of England, but because I love international footie.

I will be in the USA for most of it though 🙁

MSP

Yep looking forward to it, not for England (although I still hope more than is sensible that they can confound expectations) but more just looking for some quality football, hope some of the other nations can impress and show some pace and creativity.

soobalias
    Free Member

as much as any other major international tournament. Friendlies usually are a waste of 45mins of my life but owing to the last minute change of manager even the game this weekend will be watched with interest.

interesting to see that most of the posters above who are displaying apathy put that down to the apathy shown by the players – chicken/egg situation that.

To say that Hodson (sp?) came in and built anything shows a little lack of understanding of the situation. The team was built/formed over the last two years, what he can do in the final two weeks is pretty minimal. If he can stamp some sort of mark on the team he will do well. I know the chelsea players were absent last week, but some of his influence is already quite clear

if you are into it, support it, if not, **** off – why is it the only national team which it is ok to deride? Dont see that against the rugby/cricket/hockey/judo even cycling, people are either supporters or just non-plussed, they dont drive into us because they hate B.Wiggins

(i am however prepared to see Terry, Lamps/Gerrard, Rooney all make the starting line-up for the final group match, then we deserve what we get)

loum
    Free Member

Anyone else similarly apathetic?

3000 England fans are expected to go out there; 100000 went out to Germany 2006. You’re not the only one. Nobody seems that bothered.

Although summer football on the tv is always good for me.
    It’d be nice if England, or Ireland, do well but I tend to “watch” international footie rather than “support” it.
    It’s always a better tournament if a host stays involved, so I’m gonna be backing the Poles too this time. I quite like a little bet on these too, there’s always money to be made on the group games.

wrecker
    Free Member

if you are into it, support it, if not, **** off

Umm, did you not read the title of the thread?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Nope, I care about WHU and WHU only COYI’s

Green might lern some new tricks but who knows.

MrGreedy

On the one hand, it’s football, and the quality at the Euros is a cut above the World Cup so I will definitely be watching plenty.

On the other hand, I spend the rest of the year detesting Terry, Cole, Rooney etc. and they’re not suddenly going to stop being see you next Tuesdays when they pull on an England shirt. I am genuinely interested to see how Hodgson does, he is obviously a very good manager but he’ll have a big job taming the egos in that squad and keeping the media off his back.

Oh, and the worst thing about summer tournaments without a doubt has to be all the plastic fans who come out of the woodwork and are suddenly football experts.

loum
    Free Member

Oh, and the worst thing about summer tournaments without a doubt has to be all the plastic fans who come out of the woodwork

No. They’re fun. Some of them even have breasts. 🙂

Garry_Lager

I’ll be watching, but not really invested in the national side. Hope they do well, but if they get beaten I’ll have forgotten about it in 5 minutes. I’d prefer Everton to win a corner than for England to win a game, just to add some more miserable Scouse sentiment.

Standard should be good though, as mentioned. Condensed format compared to the world cup, no poor teams.

Haze

I’ll be following it, although I can’t remember a time when I felt less bothered about a tournament.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AleYSkW2LoQ[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Genius 🙂

hora
    Free Member

maccruiskeen outstanding

grum
    Free Member

When we get a manager with a set of bollocks who is not afraid to drop every player over the age of 24 and start again from scratch then I may be interested again.

This. Very difficult to support England really – they play dull football and look like they CBA half the time – maybe because they’ve all fallen out with each other over some of them being racists/creeps who slept with each other’s girlfriends etc.

portlyone

I’m a football fan. I’ll be watching most of the games, and all of the highlights.

Probably watch some of the Olympic footy too.

higgo
    Free Member

UTD >> ENG

I have very little interest in the England team although I will probably get drawn into it for the last game of the group stage (if further progress is on the line) and any subsequent games.

The England support are an odd lot, very much made up of people who routinely support the lower leagues. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but I’ve spoken to a couple of current/recent England players and they tell me it’s an odd experience playing for England compared to playing for (tpyically) one of the bigger Prem clubs. Apparently they can tell that the support are “not used to a big day out“. The example they gave me was that the England support will applaud a good throw in!

p.s. I know the above paragraph contains some huge generalisations but as a generalism I think it’s true.

justatheory
    Free Member

I can’t wait, there’s something about International Football tournaments and the Euros can often be better than the World Cup due to the fewer number of teams competing.

Not bothered about England though, they’re just not very inspiring and I can’t see them improving under Hodgson. England’s problems run much deeper than who the manager is, how much ‘passion’ the players display or how fat their wage packets are. A serious re-assessment of how we coach youngsters needs to take place, shifting emphasis to developing skill and technique – even at the expense of winning. Small sided games for youth players, oh and I’d ban any parent who utters the words ‘hit him/have him/get in there’ or any other variant from the sidelines.

To be fair to the FA there does seem to be some will to re-write the coaching manual. Should have happened 20 years ago, better late than never I suppose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18236981

RichPenny
    Free Member

IMO it’s a reasonable percentage of the worlds best players aiming for the second highest accolade in the game.

Bring it 🙂

Plus my wife is Polish so I have 2 teams involved…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I’ll be getting behind the green machine :mrgreen: because I genuinely feel they’re a team that is greater than the sum of its parts and while there may be a few plastiques, they genuinely seem to give a shit about the shirt. Il Trapp has got them playing nice football, not the up and under of old and they qualified from a bloody hard group – even gave the Italians a fright at home.

Also, we only qualify for one of these things every so often so we gotta take what we can get

I wish we could have something like Euro ’96 spirit back again – the team (England) was playing lovely football, the hammering of Holland, Gazza’s goal – the country was so uplifted that Summer (semi exit excepted). Now, nobody seems to care that much. It’s a pity really. 😐

higgo
    Free Member

Well, I’m half English, half Irish and my wife is Dutch so the kids have three teams to support.

I suspect we’ll be in orange for the latter stages.

In fact we’re in Holland just before the tournament so I’ll bring a car full of orange tat home. 😆

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Footie fans/followers – do you care about Euro 2012’ is closed to new replies.