Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Foot pain when riding
  • Kieran

Getting really frustrated with pain in my feet when riding.

I ride with SPD’s and after an hour or so the ball of my foot really starts to hurt. I recently bought a new pair of SIDI’s that I thought would help, but didn’t, mind you they were too large (perils of buying shoes online)

A mate suggested a pair of Specialized BG insoles, so found somewheer that did them and got told my left foot had a very low arch (i.e. I was flat footed) so ended up spending £25 on a pair that I only needed one!

This did help, but the shoes being too large didn’t, so the other week, after seeing a pair of Specialized BG s-works shoes decided to get fitted properly and splashed out on them, but still I’m getting pain in my feet, even with the replacement insole for the left shoe.

Anybody have any advice what to do? Its really starting to affect my enjoyment of riding.

Cheers

GW
    Free Member

switch to flats and wear less awkward shoes.

goog
    Free Member

get some flats

crikey
    Free Member

Stop doing your shoes up so tightly, especially over your toes.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Cleat and saddle position will both have an effect on how your foot distributes your power/pedal stroke,As gw says it may be worth trying Flats to eliminate the spds or shoes themselves,

GEDA
    Free Member

I get sore feet from riding flats just to be difficult.

MSP

I have similar problems, these have resolved the problem, bit pricey but worth it.

http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/

jeb

get checked at a foottherapeutic, could be your forefoot, just before your toes, has collapsed, it common, then you need some soles, with a pellote, that raises the front of your foot again. if your soles are very hard, that could also cause problemsm, so get something, nice and soft.

catfood
    Free Member

Is it one foot or both?
    If its just one it could be you have a neuroma, basically an inflamed nerve, I had this problem and it became excruciatingly painful.

Kieran

Its mainly my left foot, although the right does start to hurt after a while. It happens more when I’m on my road bike, and use of flats on the road bike is a non starter.

MSP – They look very simelar to the Specialized BG footbeds I already have, or am I missing something?

sniff
    Free Member

If it’s less on your mtb then it may be because of a lack of play in your road pedals. Swap your pedals and see if it’s any better.

Try and wiggle your toes every 5 minutes while riding to get the blood flow as well.

CampbellCoaching
    Free Member

Hi,
    Try moving your cleat back slightly, your footwork is vital when MTB riding and if its set up wrong it will often cause pain or just lack of movment on the bike and you end up just hanging on! If you can send me a picture of your shoe clipped in and I will see what I can work out from that?

Bob

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could it be technique related? Are you proficient at using your legs to absorb bumps? My punishment for laziness is always sore feet.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Might be something like Mortons Neuroma – basically an inlammation of the nerve that runs between the metatarsals. Footbeds may help, but also anything that might alleviate pressure over the foot. For what it is worth, although I use Spesh BG shoes, they are probably the most uncomfy cycling shoes I’ve ever had. Going to change shoes soon for something less racey and more trail bikey.

catfood
    Free Member

If just one foot hurts it could well be a neuroma. If none of the above solutions help see your doctor, they will refer you to the podiatry department of your local hospital. Neuromas can usually be treated with injections, unfortunately I had to have an op, kept me off the bike best part of the year.

fubar
    Free Member

Seeing as you’ve messed around with a lot of shoes, what about the pedals ? Perhaps a pedal with a larger platform (424 ?) would help ‘spread the load’ ?

alpin
    Free Member

i’d suggest dropping the SPDs and using flats, too.

i used to end up with a numb foot after several hours of using Shimano SPD boot thingies. the boots weren’t a bad fit as i used to wear them casually, too. it was the fixed point of pressure on my foot.

since using flats (2years or more) i don’t suffer from numb-foot.

try using toe-clips on the road…. i do.

GW
    Free Member

use of flats on the road bike is a non starter.

Why?

bigant

If your shoes are too big the cleat will be too far forward. Jam it as far back as it will go to see if it makes any difference – would suggest talking to “a professional” though.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Cleat position. I had this problem moved the cleats problem gone.

Kieran

Folowed crikeys advice and tried the shoes a bit looser, what a differance! 4 hours and no pain, I think i was still trying to do the shoes up too tight as with the last pair that didn’t fit properly. The new properly fitted pair just fit perfectly and dont need to be strapped down tight.

Thanks for all the advice.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Foot pain when riding’ is closed to new replies.