Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Food Suppliments. Are there any you swear-by?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Cold liver oil? Glucosamine? Carnatine? Vitamin B complex? Uncle John's wart?
    What really works for you?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A proper, healthy, balanced diet works really well for me, thanks.

Jamie
    Free Member

I might as well be the first of many to say i get all my supplements from eating healthily.

*smug* 😉

Edit: Damn…20 seconds too slow!

terrahawk
    Free Member

how predictable.

crikey
    Free Member

Chips.

…and condiments of any sort; I love the little pots of sachets that you get with pub meals, I use the food as a vector for the condiments, really.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Beer 😀 aka high carb, low fat rehydration supplement

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂 @ crikey!

terrahawk, our posts are indeed predictable, purely because if you have a healthy diet you simply don't need any of that guff. Eat properly, that's all you need to do.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Co-enzyme q 10 – supposed to help stimulate and develop the Mitochondria and in turn ATP metabolic system
    Given that I’m currently on my third week off work with chronic fatigue (the reason I started taking it in the first palace) I think I might need to adjust the does

topangarider
    Free Member

Been thinking about this. How do you guys get your protein intake?

I read it should be 1.5g for every kg you weight – so for me I need 127.5g a day.

Recommendations for sandwich fillings appreciated.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Glucosamine sulphate if the knees are aching usually take it for a month then lay off it. Echinacea if there are loads of people at work with colds or I feel I am getting a cold. Usually combined with vit C. I think it helps keep colds at bay / speed recovery. Rode a lot through winter ate well (lots) felt good enjoyed life through the dark nights. Anything that helps the long wait for the summer nights is good!

johnners
    Free Member

THere's very little evidence that supplements are anything other than a con. Placebos now, they're a different matter…

jam-bo

do jaffa cakes count?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

deffo cake

Nico
    Free Member

But are jaffa cakes a cake, a tax-free biscuit, or a banned substance. The jury is still out (having their tea and jaffa cakes no doubt).

And why is there no custard or cream in custard creams?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Daily:
    Multi vitamin + minerals

Glucosamine + condroitin + joint ache reducing guff 1000mgx3

B vit

When I've got a cold:
    Zinc
    Vit C

When I've been to the gym:
    50g Whey protein in water.

cinnamon_girl

Glucosamine and chondroitin, 1500mg per day every day.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

McVities Chocolate Digestives

Pieface

Multivitamin and cod liver oil. It may well be Placebo but its kept Sir Ron Hill running every day for the last 60 years so there must be something in it

Jamie
    Free Member

#
    jam bo – Member

do jaffa cakes count?
    Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Its vitamin C innit.

Ti29er
    Free Member

As you say, 50% useful.
    Especially about the zinc and Echinacea + vitamin C when the system's low and colds are abroad.
    Glucosamine and the cod liver oil I know makes a difference in my dog's condition and like you say, if the older runners etc swear by them, there's never smoke without fire.
    One old guy I was chatting with on Saturday runs every day and he's 75! His last (7th) London marathon as aged 65. His grandson is knocking on the GB Olympic swimming squad's door at 17 with a swimming scholorship at Harrow.
    Me? I'm slowly falling apart at the seams at 45!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I try to eat a healthy balanced diet obviously and don't do half badly! On top of that I take some Glucosamine because I reckon it's worth a bet since I'm cycling most days. If I have a hard week in the saddle or some fast guests then I take some protien powder immediately after the ride and I find that definitely helps my legs the next morning.

johnners
    Free Member
    Ti29er
    Free Member

Interesting about the protein powder.

There seems to be subtle a shift away from the pure carbs in a post ride drink (and even during a ride) to getting more protein into the digestive system both during and after the ride.
    I was chatting with CNP owner's brother-in-law about just this subject at the Polaris Challenge as they're from a bodybuilding background originally and are pushing their products in the biking arena.

Echinacea and zinc seem to work some minor alchemy if you catch the signs very early on. That much does seem to hold true – I know not how, but it was worth trying it out a few years back, after all, there's nothing to lose 'cept maybe 5 days off the bike with a stinking cold.

smurf
    Free Member

I use first defence (nasal spray) when I detect the first signs of a cold. It's very effective at either stopping it getting any worse or reducing the impact. Recommended to the house!

Lots of sleep is useful as well. I'm feeling run down and starting to feel / show signs of lots of late nights due to work and a young baby. Not good 🙁

smurf

crikey
    Free Member

Two things;

1. Anecdote is not the same as data.

2. How on earth did the human race ever survive long enough to invent the flush toilet, sliced bread, the flared trouser, the underwired bra and the bicycle without eating all this crap?

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

While the evidence base for supplements is generally poor, in that there is very few randomised control trails, there are other from of research and data (which would include anecdote) and while frowned on by ’science’ are often effective & appropriate.
    My own research involved a literature search of the symptoms and physiological effects of chronic fatigue, which indicated damage and poor functioning of the ATP metabolic system and in particular the Mitochondria – a similar process was carried out with CQ10 where the evidence base indicates that it stimulates mitrchondrial activity

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

a similar process was carried out with CQ10

is that something you can eat ?

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Penicillin, chemotherapy, keyhole surgery – all witchcraft, we survived thousands of years without them

Smee
    Free Member

Biscuits, cakes, sweeties and pies supplement my diet of meat, pasta, fish, veggies and fruit.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Echinacea does not prevent Common Cold

"Of the 19 comparisons testing treatment of colds, 9 showed a significant effect compared to placebo, and six, no difference. "

Thems not bad odds. I think I'll get some

crikey
    Free Member

there are other from of research and data

Sorry, either it works and can be shown to work in proper randomised double-blind controlled trials, or I reserve the right to disbelieve it.

finbar
    Free Member

L-Glutamine and a generic z-max anabol copy if i'm training hard and disciplined enough to not eat for a few hours before bed.

crikey
    Free Member

Penicillin, chemotherapy, keyhole surgery – all witchcraft, we survived thousands of years without them

Penicillin, used to treat life threatening infections.

Chemotherapy, used to treat life threatening malignancies.

Keyhole surgery, used to allow less invasive surgical procedures.

Not really the equivalent of modern well fed western mankind wondering about taking extra superfluous vitamins.

Try a bit harder…

jimmy

More food.

Oh, did we do predictable already?

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Penicillin a happy accident & tbh antibiotic these day cause as many problems as they cure – research into food supplements struggles to get funding approval due to the vested interests of the medical profession and pharmaceutical industries who have a proven track record of stifling research in to alternative to there products.
    Although the scientific community see RST as the gold standard for research methodology it is only truly affective in certain very specific circumstance (usually direct comparison) – other methodology such meta-analysis or systematic review are just as valid in comparing on treatment with another

crikey
    Free Member

tbh antibiotic these day cause as many problems as they cure

Sorry, I stopped reading about there.

I work on an Intensive care unit, where people who are really sick end up. Some of those people die. A good proportion of those people survive because of antibiotics, so please spare me the complementary medicine approach, it does you little credit.

Oh, I've managed to read a bit a bit more; randomised controlled trials are the gold standard because it's the best way we have of testing IF THINGS ACTUALLY WORK.

There are things that work that we don't yet know about, there will be changes in treatment accordingly, but not on the basis of 'a man in a white coat said so'.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pharmaceutical industries who have a proven track record of stifling research in to alternative to there products.

Perhaps – but the big pharmaceutical companies make much of the vitamin supplements and push them as hard as they can

funkynick

Hold on, just how big is the suppliment industry? It must be multi-billion dollars a year, so surely they can pay for their own research on this? Why do they have to wait until someone else does it?

Oh, it's not because they already know the outcome is it?

😉

littlebear
    Free Member

Cold liver oil? Glucosamine? Carnatine? Vitamin B complex? Uncle John's wart?
    What really works for you?

Are we talking about supplements for riding, or just everyday use instead of a healthy diet …. Im confused has this thread lost its ….. erm thread 😯

For riding i would use supplements if i am out training for hours, or on an epic weekender with friends to maintain high energy levels. And some recovery supplement, maybe depending on the day, racing or long weekends. For everyday use, No! just good food and a healthy diet, fruit, veg, fish, water, wine. keeps me working 😉

johnners
    Free Member

Thems not bad odds. I think I'll get some

I think you're confusing treatment and prevention. The headline of the Cochrane analysis is that Echinacea doesn't prevent Colds. It's also worth noting that the word "significant" has a very specific meaning in statistics, and it doesn't mean worthwhile.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Food Suppliments. Are there any you swear-by?’ is closed to new replies.