Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Food smells better than it tastes
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I'm beginning to believe this is true.

Ever driven past a curry house and got that amazing waft of garlic, spices and sizzling chicken and thought "right – curry for tea" – only to buy one and be disappointed?

I feel the same about bacon butties. You ride past a greasy spoon or a roadside "full monty" type van and are almost stopped in your tracks by the smell of griddled bacon. But when you stop to buy one, it's okay but not as good as it smelt.

What other foods fit into this category. Or do you think I am fully mental?

tails
    Free Member

Bread, it is really nice but not as good as it smells

woodsman
    Free Member

Coffee!

zarquon
    Free Member

Farleys rusks smell to me of warm, cosy childhood, couldn't eat one though

IanMunro
    Free Member

Herbal teas.

GrahamS

Herbal teas.

+1

Smell: lovely fragrant jasmine with just a hint of citrus.

Taste: hot water and grass.

LoulaBella
    Free Member

That smell that pumps out of Subway used to smell nice now puts me off, and is it me or do all the rolls taste the same?

GrahamS

The UK version of Subway isn't very good is it?

I ate loads of them in Oz. They are very popular there; much more so than McDs or BK/Hungry Jacks. The salad was always crisp and the sub was freshly baked.

I guess in the UK they aren't as popular, so the franchises are a bit less professional and the lower demand means the salads are sat out all day and a bit limp.

Shame really.

joe1983
    Free Member

The majority of your sense of 'taste' is in fact smell. Thats one of the reasons you can't 'taste' nowt when you have a blocked up nose.

sundaywobbler

Liver, when being cooked it smells like it should be divine but IMO ends up tasting like your nanna's pants

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tasting like your nanna's pants

It's sort of ok for me to know how your nanna's pants taste, but you certainly shouldn't!! 😯

bassspine
    Free Member

herbal teas +2
    coffee +1

liver -3,000,000 vileness itself. Have you read Joyce's Ulysses, describing the piss smell of frying kidneys?

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm told that coffee tastes of nothing to those with no sense of smell; it's all in the nose!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Freshly cut grass smells fantastic.

Taste 'kin awful.

I tried it tonight.

Bleugh. Honest.

tomzo
    Free Member

Subway. Always smells great….always a disappointment, doesnt matter what roll you get either. all tastes the same!

Fish and chips are often a let down aswell….

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

american cream soda

deus

herbal teas, + 1,000,000
    nasty sour filth yet smell delightful.

and if your curry/ bacon butties smell better than they taste, go find better places to eat.

conversly, asparagus smells, so-so, tastes ok and then your pee smells foul, rather unpleasant, as i found out today.

GrahamS

your pee smells foul, rather unpleasant, as i found out today.

Random Fact: only around half of people can smell asparagus pee[/URL]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Food smells better than it tastes’ is closed to new replies.