Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Font shocks on a CX Bike?
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Has anyone put a pair of front shocks on a CX bike? Might sound a bit crazy but I think that for off roading that isn’t uber technical it could be a combo that works. Something to dampen down the roots and rocky steps but that can be locked out to maximise the CX benefit on tarmac and the smoother stuff.

Or is it just heresy and I need to be sacrificed to the CX/Gravel Gods for such improper thoughts of abusing a CX bike?

faustus

See Cannondale Slate

Otherwise, it needs to be very small travel and even current 80mm forks will have a significantly longer A-C measurement and not do wonders for the geometry

Nipper99
    Free Member

Apparently there are these things called mountain bikes that have bouncy bits at both ends, or sometimes just one end (usually the front end) that might suit your needs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently there are these things called mountain bikes that have bouncy bits at both ends, or sometimes just one end (usually the front end) that might suit your needs.

And possible even ones with the same size wheels as CX bikes ! 😯

hairylegs
    Free Member

And possible even ones with the same size wheels as CX bikes !

True, but they’re a PITA on the road and weigh more than an CX bike

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only as a consequence of needing to be slacker to allow for the fork travel, and be stronger to account for the greater leverage on the headtube, and the forks are heavier.

There’s not much weight in it to start with between your average ~20lb cross bike and 22lb XC hardtail, other than the 2lb heavier forks.

cp

Put the same wheels and tyres on the 29er and they’re basically the same thing, but the mtb has far more mud clearance.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d be better off with a rigid 29er, with drops. Could be just as good on road but you can fit big tyres or even sus forks if you want.

71/73 angles on my 29er. Not slack.

Gotama
    Free Member
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Are there any with front forks and back shockers too?

rusty90
    Free Member

As ridden by Johan Museeuw in the 1994 Paris Roubaix. Chain stay broke 24Km from the finish and cost him possible victory.

fasthaggis

Never mind that leftie slate thingie,headshok all the way 😉

kerley
    Free Member

The fact the Cannondale with headstock didn’t set the world on fire suggests it was a small market. Hoping the Slate goes the same way so I can pick one up cheap as it is perfect for my needs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Font shocks on a CX Bike?’ is closed to new replies.