Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fond memories from your childhood and odd triggers for the memory…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just came to me in a flash as I was spreading fine-cut Branston Pickle on my cheese and ham sandwich and it was making a spooky squelching sound. The next thing that came into my mind…

BBC Sound Effects Albums (the horror one specifically).

🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

jaffa cakes, used to be allowed to turn them upside down, butter and add raspberry jam

also carnation milk in cogffee, tea and everywhere else – we lived in the Scottish sticks so never had fresh

magowen100
    Free Member

Fishfinger sandwiches are a food from my childhood I rediscovered recently. I did hear of a 'poor mans surf n turf' – white bread, beefburger, fishfingers, cheese and tommy sauce; which sounds great but I've not tried it yet….

allthegear
    Free Member

Whever I heard the theme music to Grandstand, I could taste fish & chips. We always used to go to my grandparents on a Saturday and have fish & chips. Then there would be a battle of wits between my grandad who liked Grandstand and my grandmum who like World of Sport ( for the wrestling)…

Rachel

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whever I heard the theme music to Grandstand, I could taste fish & chips.

God yes – for me it was the Match of the Day music as we always had fish n chips for supper on a Saturday night and were allowed to stay up to watch the football.

And as a lifelong Leeds fan I would always hope we were on but would have to just sit through it to find out if we were or not – so it was always extra special when we were 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was little during the '70s, and whenever I see certain colours on cars like orange or purple like they had back then, I can taste Spangles fruity boiled sweets.

I think certain regression techniques used in therapy employ colour/sound/taste/smell association.

allthegear
    Free Member

Must be a Leeds thing, then. Also afflicted for life here, too!

Rachel

woody2000

Roasting beef always reminds me of the dripping and salt sandwiches (white bread of course) that my grandma used to give me as a child. Aaah, the arterial narrowing will keep the memories fresh 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

There's a term for it: sinesthesia

Certain senses firing events in other senses; not being a Leeds fan…

Can't wait to go back one day.

Rachel

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Also afflicted for life here, too!

Afflicted is a fair term to describe someone following that shower. But still I love 'em 🙂

belgianbob

Not exactly childhood, but I used to love Phileas Fogg California Corn Chips.
    I'd forgotten all about them until I saw… (wait for it, this is the wierdest trigger yet) Vredestein Perfect Moiree tyres. I saw the tyres and tasted the corn chips. I had them on for commuter duties and could taste the snack for the whole ride.
    I can taste them now, actually, as I write the word 'Vredestein'. I've no idea how that works, but now I'm hungry…

binners

The smell of hot Castrol R racing oil just transports me back to Oulton Park circa 1974. My dad used to take me to see the GT40s and the like racing.

I bloody love that smell!!! Don't smell it two often nowadays 🙁

Tinners

Senses do it for me too. The smell of the old cottage hospital (a sort of musty cool stone echo clip cloppy footsteps place) where I would be taken when I had collected a variety of lacerations and breaks falling off my bike as a kid. Also when you get in the sea and the salt water goes up your nose and the feeling of sand on the toes – that also takes me back. Perhaps the most powerful of all are songs. Songs of the eighties, especially if I haven't heard them since those times, take me right back. Recently also the theme tune to the Channel 4 Tour de France coverage in the 80s. Finally, the theme tune to Panorama sends a shiver down my back because it reminds me of being a kid, having homework to do and time for bed (don't know why exactly – it must have been on the TV in the background when those things were happening)

belgianbob

+1 for evocative smells, particularly the smell of the Westcountry. As Tinners said, the salty smell in the air. That gets me the miute I step off a train or open the car door when I get down to Devon. Suddenly I'm a child again…

stevemakin

freshly cut grass = primary school

crisp butties = tea time wrestling and jimmy clitheroe ???

Philby

Funny how you forget names and faces, but smells and taste remain with you for decades – tried some Dandelion & Burdock the other week, first time I've had it since the early 1970's when it was popular flavour of 'pop'. Tasted and smelt exactly the same as it did nearly 40 years ago!

Also afflicted by the Leeds Utd 'disease' for over 40 years – thought someone might have found a cure 😆

steve-g
    Free Member

Ok here are mine.

Recently I ran out of shampoo, and seeing as i was already in the shower i grabbed littleleg's johnsons no more tears and used that – oh my god i was 5 years old again instantly.

The smell of Lynx Africa reminds me of secret smoking as a 14 year old kid.

Anywhere that is rammed and smells of man sweat (trains, the tube etc) reminds me of the dance floor in turnmills at 4 oclock in the morning.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Funny how you forget names and faces, but smells and taste remain with you for decades – tried some Dandelion & Burdock the other week, first time I've had it since the early 1970's when it was popular flavour of 'pop'. Tasted and smelt exactly the same as it did nearly 40 years ago!

Also afflicted by the Leeds Utd 'disease' for over 40 years – thought someone might have found a cure
    Are you me? I used to love dandelion and birdmuck and always had it with my fish and chips whilst watching Leeds on Match of the Day on Saturday nights as a kid. I can taste it now just thinking about it. Mmmmmm

MrsToast
    Free Member

I always associate Quavers and Dairy Crunch bars with swimming, as they used to be the post-swim vending machine staple.

DezB
    Free Member

Who else used to have pair of these? 🙂
    I had a Leeds watch that I won off Birds Eye beefburgers too. There's a great school photo of me purposely making it visible for the camera.

Saturdays meant peanut butter and syrup sandwiches & Grandstand.

finbar
    Free Member

The smell of lemon Fairy washing up liquid always reminds me of when i lived in Japan, but I'm not sure why 😐

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Roasting beef always reminds me of the dripping and salt sandwiches (white bread of course) that my grandma used to give me as a child. Aaah, the arterial narrowing will keep the memories fresh

mmmm penny dip!

that and Vosene shampoo, . . but not together obviously? 😕

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Me in my favourite ever Leeds top (I had the whole kit + track suit)

bassspine
    Free Member

crisp butties = tea time wrestling I'm with you totally there. salt'n'vinegar crisps and salad cream, cutting the roof of your mouth open on a sharp edge…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Grandstand or World of Sport?

World of Sport every time for Giant Haystacks, Big Daddy, Kid Dynamite, Cat Weezel… (come on then – who else was there?)

And I loved the tag team stuff 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Kendo Nagasaki!

belgianbob

Kendo Nagasaki FTW!

DezB
    Free Member

Mick McManus! And a Scimitar!

stevemakin

another one

sour milk today =

primary school milk time, being a milk monitor and drinking the spare bottles in the afternoon after they'd warmed up through the day, occasionally it would be yoghurt, people pay good money for that these days !

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fond memories from your childhood and odd triggers for the memory…’ is closed to new replies.