Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Following on from 'famous people on stw'
  • aa
    Free Member

who’s met their idols/hero’s etc? Was it good or is it true what they say that you should never meet your heroes.

I met keith bontrager, whose work and opinions i’ve admired for 2 decades, and he was pretty cool. Nice, genuine fella.

I’d like to meet Thes One from People under the stairs.

sbob
    Free Member

Only time I’ve ever been star struck was when I bumped into Tony Hart.
    Almost shook his hand off I was so excited to meet him.
    He was very friendly and polite, exactly as you’d imagine.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’ve met Graeme Obree a few times – he’s mad as a box of frogs, but a nicer person you couldn’t hope to meet.

rossi46
    Free Member

This was as close to my hero as i got 😆

Still bloody awesome to see though!

And i got to ride on the track that many of my other heroes have ridden/driven round

A very soggy Brands Hatch 😀

sunnrider
    Free Member

Met Miguel Indurain raising money for a local charity.
    Proper gent, he took time to talk to everyone.

scousebri
    Free Member

Not a Hero of mine but i have done a bit of work in the past for a member of Pinkfloyd on a house just outside of London. He was polite enough when he was around. Also worked on a few other “stars” Houses and apart from one they have all been quite decent.

flip
    Free Member

Met mine, total musical genius called Jean-Paul ‘Bluey’ Maunick, song writer, musician and founder of Incognito

Junkyard
    Free Member

cool photo you can see how chuffed/starstruck you are

aa
    Free Member

nice, incognito are cool!

allthepies
    Free Member

Which one’s you ?

😉

zippykona

No one else will know him but I was too star struck to talk to Dave Callahan of The Wolfhounds.
    I would have just spoken gibberish if I had, a true genius.

tman100
    Free Member

I’ve met Cliff Richard and Dave Hill many years ago.
    was in a pub in Brum and in walked Lawrie Mcnenemy (sp) and Henry Cooper.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had a knock on the door of a room I was flooring one day and there was Roland from Tears For Fears with a pot of coffee for me. (I’d only found out the day before that it was his house from his missus…long story involving somebody miss-spelling their surname.) He was really sound and always had a chat when he brought the coffee up. Loved my flooring skillz of course. I’ve done a few more for him since. He and his wife are grand.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had a knock on the door of a room I was flooring one day and there was Roland from Tears For Fears with a pot of coffee for me. (I’d only found out the day before that it was his house from his missus…long story involving somebody miss-spelling their surname.) He was really sound and always had a chat when he brought the coffee up. Loved my flooring skillz of course. I’ve done a few more for him since. He and his wife are grand.

Orzabal has an awesome voice IMO.

Sorry, carry on.

weare138
    Free Member

I’ve met quite a few ex famous people through my job and the only one that made me a bit startstruck was Todd Carthy, Tucker Jenkins. Why? I don’t know…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Everyday..

jock-muttley

Gotta be spending a day riding and chilling out with the Athertons. They are as nice as they seem. Brilliant day out.

Oh and Angus is REALLY cool.. I’m the muppet whose bike Rach is leaning her hand on.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Met and skied with Alberto Tomba and Franz Klammer.
    I was about 15 when I skied with Klammer, it was cool, he fell over though.
    It was quite cool for an aspiring ski racer to meet a skiing legend.

MoreCashThanDash

Met Brian Buchanan and Dorian Yates back in my bodybuilding days – Geoff Capes doesn’t count as he lived in our village.

Met Richard Whitehead of paralympian golden glory in sainsburys a couple of months back – we were in the stadium when he won that amazing 200m. Even my hard as nails wife had dust in her eye when did his victory lap!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Took Angela Ripon climbing for telly when I was at college. She bought me an ice cream. Nearest I can do for cycling ? Lived under the influence of Dave Brailsford’s dad for 2 years as he was head of Outdoor ed when I was at Bangor Normal college. Just maybe Dave turned out for a group/course day ride we had. Same chap organised training courses for the dept . Twice we had Keith Lambert, Mick Bennett, Mick Morrison and Trevor Bull to help us along.

tman100
    Free Member

Its your bike shes holding? 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

As a 15 yr old just about to stroll out for a game against Marlow RFC, who should stroll past but my heroes at the time – Jason Leonard, Brian Moore and Victor Obogu. All naked, heading for the shower after an England training session. Didn’t speak to them though, didn’t seem like the right thing to do.

McHamish
    Free Member

I met Wanderlei Silva about 5 years ago at a seminar he was hosting. And I lost the photo I had taken of my and him squaring up.

He’s a scary looking bloke, but very friendly and attentive to people at the seminar.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My first ride on an FS bike was on Crawford Carrack Anderson’s Giant ATX DH. He was really nice and the suspension was so soft, especially considering he was much bigger than me. Apparently Rob Warner was supposed to be there but was too drunk, it was 10am!

Met Steve Peat on the same day, just after he had destroyed a wheel in a race but he still had time for the fans. Great bloke.

Kryton57

I met John Jeffrey (scots rugby flanker) on a station platform on a visit to Scottish Borders some years ago. Nice bloke.

I meg Patrick Moore when I was a Cub Scout in the toilets at Herstmonceaux castle once, when the royal Greenwich observatory was there and Damon Hill as we shared guitar tutors for a short while.

samuri
    Free Member

Has anyone ever met a littlewoods catalogue model?

That must be embarrassing.

iainc

Rode side by side with Lance on the Paisley ride – he was a real hero…..at the time 😯

mudshark
    Free Member

Met Brian Buchanan and Dorian Yates back in my bodybuilding days

Yeah I met Dorian a few months before he one his 1st Mr Olympia, I just went straight up to him and shook his hand – one big guy!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Lee Scratch Perry, I was utterly star stuck dumbfounded

mezimov

Geoff Capes when I was a wee lad at an athletics meet at Meadowbank. The memory is particularly sharp given that a) it was my first brush with someone off the telly and b) it was my first brush with someone off the telly who my crazy old dad squared up to and advised to ‘go back home wee man’. I won’t say how it ended but suffice to say that a beard is not a sign of weakness…

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve met Keith Bontrager too, there is a terrible photo somewhere of me on facebook doing the ‘I’ve recently finished a 24 hour race’ gurn with him. He was down to earth in a friendly way.
    I nearly met Vouilloz and paniced and didn’t say anything to him! 😳
    I also once stayed in Bryn Bettws next door to Rachel Atherton and Tracey Moseley, a few weeks after Atherton won the junior DH world champs, (I had to show my mates her photo in Dirt before they believed it was her!) We borrowed a spoon from them. They were nice too.

Met a couple of beardy academic legends (to me!) if you are into that sort of thing, and one of my mates really is a world authority on Russ Meyer and Italian horror films. But that is a niche even smaller than mountain biking…

somafunk

I’ve never had a hero figure or adulation but the one person i do admire is Graeme Obree, my mate is from the same town that Graeme is from and having met/known him over the past few years i have to say you could not meet a nicer person – he has a certain charisma and manic (obviously) enthusiasm about him that’s incredibly infectious when in company – top bloke all round and Graeme for UCI president!. 😀

Apart from that i used to go to school wi David Coulthard and know him quite well, when we were in our teens he was Kart racing and i was doing Motocross so we used to go to each others races, been to a few GP’s wi him when he was racing and out to his hotel in Monaco, met most of the GP drivers and associated folk, been driven through the streets of Monaco at night on the GP closed road circuit wi David at the wheel of a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale back in 2000, utterly terrifying yet i’d trust him wi my life in any car, apart from the williams tuned renault 5 turbo he got for his 17th birthday – that thing was lethal on these Galloway roads.

Apart from that no-one else most folk would know much about, met and drank wi a lot of the DJ crowd as we organise/book the DJ’s for our dance music marquees at a local big festival (wickerman), Andy Weatherall, Darren Emmerson, Plump DJ’s, Meat Katie, Dylan Rhymes, Elite Force, Annie Nightingale, Mary Ann Hobbs, Mylo (my cousin actually), Ed Simons (chemical bros), quite a few others as well but that gets boring.

Pretty much everyone has been spot on, thankfully as it must be disheartening when you meet folk and they turn out to be a ****.

bigdean

^ you need to come live in an ex pit village. It would blow your mind.

Good to hear DC is as nice as comes over on the telly

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Following on from 'famous people on stw'’ is closed to new replies.