Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • follow up to career changing thread, how and what
  • mrmo
    Free Member

In the process of thinking what to do, problem is what is the best way to go about making a change. Is the best approach to make a decision then pay for training, if appropriate or to try and find an employer who will train.

what areas do people think are worth looking into, i have an idea of what my skills are but it is a matter of what to do and how to apply what i have etc. Obviously no one can give an answer just trying to get a few sensible ideas.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

dr_sam

Mrmo. going a similar decision myself. You sound very level headed. What I've found is that it's the thought of change and uncertainty that scares me. We've planned for the worst case scenario for each possibility and we think we can cope. I guess it boils down to can you continue to do what you're doing happily or are you going to spend the rest of your life wondering what if.
    Its a big decision you get comfortable at our stages of life and changing "comfortable" is terrifying but what if there's a chance of being happier?

*disclaimer* this applies to me. I don't know if you're in the same boat.

Sam

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am going to jump out of it. I fancy air traffic control (some may say I am mad)
    Doing something new and completely different appeals to me. Yes it's going to be difficult but is anything in life???

kevonakona
    Free Member

I stepped out of my job in defence after completing a very successful program. Sold the house paid for the years training (well became a student again). My only regret?
    Back to school tomorrow and i didn't ride in europe this summer.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Outdoor industry. You can travel the world and easily find work with the qualifications you gain. Excellent!

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Try and plan for it as much as possible!

I decided to go back to uni to do a Master's two years ago, as this was the only realistic way I could change direction (in the way I wanted to). It helps having an understanding OH … we did a lot of saving up the year before I quit my job, then down to one salary for a year. It was tough financially, but we managed and actually ended the year with more money in the bank than at the beginning (= better spending habits!).

It's the best thing I ever did and I have no regrets – I earn half what I earned before, but the improvement in quality of life is incredible and my prospects for better paid employment in the future look positive.

Good luck!

Edukator
    Free Member

Think of the people that give you the most ridiculous quotes and do that: plumber, electrician or roofer.

notlocal
    Free Member

I left my job as a paramedic, and now earn considerably less working in a local outdoors equipment shop. Less money, but I'm happier than I've been for a long time.
    Don't make the same mistake as me though. Discuss leaving your current job with your other half first. 😯

ianpinder
    Free Member

Lol @ notlocal,

you would be happier then you were, if you had discussed it lol.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘follow up to career changing thread, how and what’ is closed to new replies.