Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Folding tyres 2.35 – what's out there ?
  • trailmonkey

fed up with breaking tyre levers trying to get wire beaded high rollers on and off my dt swiss 540 rims. soooooooooooooooo, i’m looking for folding 2.35’s to replace them. i can get a folding hr in 60a but they’re blinking expensive and ideally i’d like something softer for the front.

have to be big nobblies for my rocky, manly, gnarrrly local trails.

cheap solutions pleasings.

bland

Thats a very specific size requirement.

I was going to recommend Maxxis Advantages but they come in at a 2.4, so no cigar im afraid

Just out of interest how are you removing your tyres? They shouldnt be that tight and if they are then i suspect that its because they are sat high on the rim. Try deflating fully and pushing the bead off the raised section it sits on when blown up. You will notice the middle of the rim is lower so sit it in there all the way round, apply pressure on tyre lever and check its still there, if it is slide the lever around the rim and it will pop off.

Seen so many people struggle due to not doing this.

Kevlar is no less/more fleky than steel bead so will make sod all difference anyway!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I paid £28.99 each for my 2.35 Panaracer CG AMs. Great tyres imo.

myth
    Free Member

Schwalbe Nobby Nic ‘performance’ tires, 2.25 or 2.4 folding bead and under £30!

steve_b77
    Free Member

2.25″ Advantages are bigger than 2.35″ Highrollers and come in all sorts of compounds if you want to stick with Maxxis.

As above I can vouch for the Nobby Nics, or even Fat alberts as they do a front specific softer compund one.

thepurist

Bonty XR4s are a good all rounder, tubeless ready, not too pricey and come up on the large size – the 2.2 is as big as a 2.35 High Roller

AndyRT
    Free Member

That’s because maxxis use pigmy rulers

footflaps

Schwalbe Fat Alberts – half price on On-one’s website?

Burchy1
    Free Member

2.25″ Advantages are bigger than 2.35″ Highrollers and come in all sorts of compounds if you want to stick with Maxxis.

+1
    Although i only use the Advantage as a rear.

I find Kenda Nevegals pretty good as a front, you can get them in folding.

KonaTC
    yunki
    Free Member

I just hit buy on some fat alberts.. on-one have got ’em at half price

carlos
    Free Member

I find Kenda Nevegals pretty good as a front, you can get them in folding.

+1

& Ride them front and rear all year round, can’t afford or be arsed with swapping all the time to suit the weather

mboy
    Free Member

2.35 HR’s are indeed pretty small for their size as has been stated. Most 2.2 or 2.25 tyres are actually bigger.

My favourite combo currently is a 2.2″ Bontrager XR4 up front with a 2.25 Maxxis Crossmark on the back.

Anyway, regarding tyre removal. DT rims are known for being tight. Do as said above, fully deflate then work the tyre bead into the centre of the rim channel first. And wire vs Kevlar bead does indeed make no difference whatsoever.

Oh and for gods sake stay away from those Schwalbe Alberts cheap at On One. Positively the worst tyre I’ve ever used, gave it a good 10 rides as I’d spent so much money on it to give it a chance to redeem itself, but alas it was bloody woeful. In any conditions! Maxxis Crossmark or Conti Rubber Queen on the back now FTW…

yunki
    Free Member

uh oh.. what’s your gripe with the schwalbes M-boy..?

I’ve seen some bad reviews in certain areas of the press but they look good and thick and nobbly to me.. what more could you want from a tyre..?

crispybacon
    Free Member

Kenda Nevgal Stick-E i was riding them F & R last Sunday & I’m still here 🙂

They are grippy on just about anything which is what I like on a tyre, others may say they are draggy but that’s really only on tarmac IMHO.

Northwind

Choosing a tyre by size is a little strange…

I like Nevegals though. Genuine, spot-on-the-money 2.35 as well. Very round, but I like that. Bit cloggy too, with the stick-e, so I’ve got a set with half the transition knobs removed which more or less fixes that. Very nice allround tyre, but not the toughest.

If you want a Maxxis 2.35, buy a 2.5 Minion or Highroller, the 2.35s are legendarily undersized.

Specialized Eskar is a very, very good rear and comes in just a hair under 2.3. Got one on the front of the hardtail just now and it’s not as impressive as on the rear, a wee bit slippy, but still good.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i just got new tyres yesterday…. schwalbe Albert…very nobbly.. 😉 havent ridden 2.35 before but yesterday on my ‘try-out’ i was very pleased. 😉

mboy
    Free Member

uh oh.. what’s your gripe with the schwalbes M-boy..?
    I’ve seen some bad reviews in certain areas of the press but they look good and thick and nobbly to me.. what more could you want from a tyre..?

Yeah, I ignored the bad reviews too cos they looked big and knobbly and said Schwalbe on the sidewall.

Wish I’d paid attention to them. Ok I only paid £26 for a £52 tyre (the double defense version), and whilst it was well made, the carcass was nice and thick etc. There was pretty much a complete lack of grip in any situatio, it was awful! By contrast even the cheap 2.3″ Michelin Dry2’s that On One also sell are loads grippier, even in the wet!

Oh, and even under moderate braking on hard surfaces, the knobbles start to lift and then tear off.

If its not too late, ask for your money back or change your order… With very few exceptions (the Michelin Dry2 being a good one) cheap tyres are usually cheap for a reason. They’re crap!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m sure if the Bontrager XR4 wasn’t an OEM tyre on so many Trek bikes it would get a lot more love! Likewise some of the chunky Specialized tyres. Ridiculously good for the money…

mboy
    Free Member

I’m sure if the Bontrager XR4 wasn’t an OEM tyre on so many Trek bikes it would get a lot more love! Likewise some of the chunky Specialized tyres. Ridiculously good for the money…

2nded, especially in regards to The Bonty.

If it said Maxxis on the side, we’d all be riding one!

FuzzyWuzzy

Bonty FR4 Team Issue 2.35″ is nice to for the front if you want something that will take some abuse, it’s not particularly cheap (or light :p ) though.

crispybacon
    Free Member

This just turned up on the classifieds maybe what you are looking for?

trailmonkey

ta for linking.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Choosing a tyre by size is a little strange

that’s one of the more bizarre comments I’ve read on this forum.

onion
    Free Member

I’ve run Nobby Nics since they came out. They are light and sticky and fold very nicely + schwalbes are one of the few manufactures whose tyres come up to size [maxxis being another]. The sidewalls are quite thin though so not the best for rocky terrain. Would highly recommend them otherwise.

nammynake
    Free Member

The general consensus is that rarely will people agree on tyre choice. Some people praise Nobby Nics, others slate them. Personally I find they vary massively depending on surface -very good in dry rocky terrain or hard pack, but bordering on useless in wet rooty sections. I disagrees they are weak though, I had a week in Morzine with 2.25 foldings and don’t pinch once – although I only weigh 70kg so maybe that helped.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Wicked Wills in 2.35, from Rosebikes. Reviews are pretty good and they only cost about £15 each in the sale, for the EXO, triple-nano, folding, etc, etc version, so I thought they were worth a punt. Perhaps not ideal as a winter tyre, but I guess I’ll find out soon.

snotrag

Specialized Eskar is really good, as above – light, cheap, and works excellently tubeless.

Northwind

ir_bandito – Member

that’s one of the more bizarre comments I’ve read on this forum

I bet it isn’t really.

Oh go on, just for sport, tell me why you think this?

trailmonkey

because there’s a huge difference between 2.35 tyres and say 1.9 tyres.

so to say that

Choosing a tyre by size is a little strange

is a little bizarre.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Folding tyres 2.35 – what's out there ?’ is closed to new replies.