Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Folding Towbar mounted racks
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Looking at towbar mounted bike racks that fold which take up minimal space when stored.
    Roofboox.com has the Buzzrack Scorpion (£250) and Thule Easyfold 931 ((~£500). Anyone tried either or both?

MoreCashThanDash

No experience of either but we have the Atera Strada 3+1, and it folds neatly for storing.

angeldust
    Free Member

Thanks, but the 2 I mention above seem to fold much smaller (along the axis that the bikes are held) than the Strada, so I am concentrating on them (or similar). Cheers.

angeldust
    Free Member

**ahem**

me1tdown
    Free Member

If you’ve got a flange towbar as opposed to a detachable towbar then a Maxxraxx folds away really well. I used to keep mine in my uni room.
    The maxxraxx is for sale (pm me if interested) as I now have an aiston rack, which is relatively flat so can be tucked away quite well.

angeldust
    Free Member

Mines an electric swivelling towbar, but thanks anyway.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve never considered a ‘hanging’ style rack. Always gone with platform racks. Hanging ones don’t inspire me with any confidence, but…..they look like they take up much less space when stored.

angeldust
    Free Member

Separate lighting board looks like a ballache too on the hanging style racks.

ThePinkster

If you’ve got a flange towbar as opposed to a detachable towbar then a Maxxraxx folds away really well. I used to keep mine in my uni room.
    The maxxraxx is for sale (pm me if interested) as I now have an aiston rack, which is relatively flat so can be tucked away quite well.

I was going to recommend MaxxRaxx as well, they fold down really small as it’s basically 2 tubes.

It’s also possible to get a swan neck towbar fitting for MaxxRaxx but it’s not compatible with Alko hitch locks, as I found to my cost when I got one fitted. 🙁

the lighting board is really easy to fit on the MaxxRaxx if you use their hanger that just clips on to the rack.

angeldust
    Free Member

What about with frame without conventional top tubes? Adapter/cross-bar looks like an additional pita.

ThePinkster

Yes, they’re a bit trickier but the adaptors fit pretty easily.

If it’s a real problem you could always do what I’ve done in the past with my MaxxRaxx (i’m beginning to sound like I work for them now – I don’t) and mount the bike upside down on the downtube.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve not seen that Thule Easyfold before and as it takes up so little room when folded it would be my choice. I have the Thule Euroclassic whilst it’s great in use its a pain to store as its takes up a lot of space and I’m currently trying figure out where I can put it now so it won’t be in the way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Folding Towbar mounted racks’ is closed to new replies.