Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Folding bikes – What is good?
  • TimP
    Free Member

I think I am about to be after something simple, but stable, for commuting by train. Singlespeed and solid, and relatively cheap are all good things, as are mudguards, but a rack is not too important

Where can I find advice or does anyone on here know much about them?

emanuel
    Free Member

the folding society.
    http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/
    I’m quite a bit behind on folding bikes.
    however,if you can’t stretch to a brompton,try some of the cheaper dahons,I remember the dahon curve a gf got was pretty nice,and a 1/3 of what a brompton would cost.
    You’ll regret getting anything except a brompton if you have to use busy trains though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Dahon do a model called the Mu Uno which is beautifully made, looks great, is reliable, very easy to find spares for and, unlike Bromptons, not absolutely rotten to get bits for and live with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

unlike Bromptons, not absolutely rotten to get bits for and live with.

Biased, as I sell Bromptons, but I stock all the spares, and they are way better made than Dahons.

I don’t see how they are difficult to live with either.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Brompton is really the only option if you want to carry it any distance folded or use it on trains/buses. I have one and my girlfriend has a Dahon, ride is not much different, maybe a little better on the Dahon, which also has more gears, but folded they are incomparable. The Dahon is a right pain, even just to carry down the hallway and out the front door.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Those Dahons are creakier than a Midsomer Murders plot.

Been said before, but here goes

Folding bike = Brompton
    Folding bike = Airnimal

Andy

I have one of those Mu Unos and I find the simplicity and light weight of it great, but I am really not getting on with the pedal back brake which seems to apply itself when I stop pedalling rather than pedal backwards. Does anyone know if it can be made less sensitive so that I have to back pedal more to make it brake?

EDIT and agree the brompton overall is a better bike; but this Dahon was a. cheap b. is much lighter and c. much simpler so more suitable for me!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Folding bikes – What is good?’ is closed to new replies.