Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Folding Bikes
  • HB47

Need to buy a folding bike – it will be under the cycle to work scheme – so £1,000 max .

Any alternative worth looking at to Bromptons ?

skidartist
    Free Member

Birdy is a better handling alternative to a Brompton. There have been issues with spares availability for them, not sure if thats improved though

HB47

Thanks will have a look at them – I will be using it for a 11 mile journey through london so handling is key

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have ridden a brompton briefly. I was suprised how good it was to ride.

If you need to fold it up tho does anything fold as well as a Brompton?

mosschops
    Free Member

Mezzo worth a look although have heard reports of stems folding at inopportune moments
    Love my Brompton, although gears failed today 🙁

MC

skidartist
    Free Member

Birdys are a good laugh, fold almost a quick as a brompton too. The Bike Friday Tikit is worth a look too – a 5 second fold. Unlike a lot of folding bikes its available in more than one size.

The Airnimal bike frequently get recommended for their ride, but they are not frequent folders in the brompton daily communting sense, they’re bikes to take apart occasionally to take on holiday with you.

TiRed

How often will you fold it during the day? Is it 11 miles each way?

Plenty of people commute on an Airnimal Joey, but I wouldn’t want to fold it at work then unfold it again. I’ve had a Brompton and now have an Airnimal Rhino. I’d ride 11 miles on a Brompton (in fact I rode 200km on one), but the Airnimals are faster.

Birdy’s are nice, as are Mezzo’s. The Bike Friday Tikit has a longer wheelbase which I think will be more suited to longer distances and can be rolled more easily than the Brompton. Fold is not as small.

To be honest, could you not just lock something up in London for when you step off the train?

epicyclo

Dahon?

They generally ride pretty well. Just make sure the wheels are properly trued and tensioned before using it. The ultra lightweight models may be a bit too light for heavy duty commuting but are nice and fast.

I have had good service out of a basic Dahon.

With any folder, remember every joint is something else to go wrong 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Folding Bikes’ is closed to new replies.