Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • fox forks cold weather problems
  • mrlard
    Free Member

just went to head out for the usual weekend ride to be greated with what can only be discribed as a skid pan of ice!

After about 3 offs i thought enough is enough i am going home.

Anyway i happened to notice my fox talas seemed to be running soft. Usually run sag at bang on 10% today they where at more like 25% taking little or no effort to bottom them out. At first I thought i had lost air. turns out they are fine carrying about 100psi

went home and checked the other bike this is running a set of fox f100 again little or no effort to bottom them out running at about 25% sag

has anyone else noticed their forks are being affected like this?. Both forks are 2010 models

got the bikes in the house at the minute to see how long it takes them to come back to life.

Also will i do any damage riding them in this state as i am less than impressed about it all

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wonder if its really cold and as they are air forks that pressures are decreased and less dampening – also the fluid may have a higher viscosity? I expect this to be true of all air forks if I am correct?

Have you checked the air pressure in them – they will behave similar to car tyres and in the cold the volume/pressure decreases!

mrlard
    Free Member

that was my logic so i stuck the bike in the house to warm it up i will report my findings in a few hours

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool – yup that would prove it or disprove it 🙂

As an aside my lockout was not as “locked” as it should be and I suspected the minus temperatures 🙂

mrlard
    Free Member

I also had the lockout issue. In fact with the lockout on the fork acted more as i would expect it to normally without.

well the bikes been stuck against the radiator for about 90mins now and the forks are coming back to life.

rubbish! i wish i still had my vans!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Coil vs air really 🙂

Jeffus
    Free Member

Yep extreme cold or hot really upsets air forks and shocks, coils do give a more consistent feel IMHO, as you say I miss my coil lyrics.

mrlard
    Free Member

I am amazed more people haven’t commented on this!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘fox forks cold weather problems’ is closed to new replies.