Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fog lights
  • sweepy
    Free Member

For the first time ive got a car with front foglights, Im not going to get all ‘fast and furious’ with them, but when it is foggy what do I do with them? Turn them on I spose, but do I turn my headlights off?

andrewh
    Free Member

When it’s really foggy I find that usually fogs and dipped beam is best, but it depends on the fog, some just throws light straight back at you, the fog lights are designed to go underneath it and illuminate a bit of the road. When it is foggy enough to use them just play about until you see what wors for that particular fog.
    And don’t forget to turn them off again when it’s not foggy any more!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Highway code throw any light on the situation?

nealglover
    Free Member

but do I turn my headlights off?

Do you have a driving license ?!

sweepy
    Free Member

Well I thought the point was they stopped you being dazzled by the reflected light from the headlights, how do they do that if they’re still on?
    Not trolling genuine question, yes I do have a license despite being a truly awful driver, and I passed my test so long ago it was before cars had foglights, why would I have a copy of the highway code 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just leave ’em on all the time. Life will be simpler that way.

sweepy
    Free Member

Then i’d have to shake my fist at myself.

Then i’d have to shake my fist at myself.

FIFY

Oh, I’m so banned…..

sweepy
    Free Member

If I could do that I’d be in the circus

GrahamS

why would I have a copy of the highway code

Always worth a read – you may be surprised what changes there have been since the advent of fog lights and combustion engines. 😀

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

But no, it doesn’t say too much about fog lights other than they are good idea when it is foggy and it is illegal to drive with them on at other times.
    https://www.gov.uk/driving-adverse-weather-conditions-226-to-237/fog-234-to-236

PiknMix
    Free Member

Drive in the dark, they come on automatically when it’s foggy enough!

user-removed
    Free Member

Not the kind of circus I’d take my kids to…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

New car ads here in Western Oz seem to mention front fog lights as a selling point. Which is strange as I’ve never seen fog here.

deano8
    Free Member

It is illegal to use fog lights unless the visibility is down to less than 100 metres.

GrahamS

And it is only “fog” if visibility is less than 1km, otherwise it is just “mist”. FACT!

CountZero

[/quote]sweepy – Member

Not neccessarily… 😯
    Fog lights work with your headlights to give a fill-in effect picking out the edges of the road without dazzle.
    Simples 😀

Cougar

It is illegal to use fog lights unless the visibility is down to less than 100 metres.

Not quite. The <100m thing applies to headlights – you must use them if visibility is less than 100m.

There’s no specific distance offered for fog lights, it’s merely illegal to use them unless visibility is “seriously reduced.”

bigyinn
    Free Member

What about rear fog lights, is a bit of drizzle sufficient to justify their use?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“What about rear fog lights, is a bit of drizzle sufficient to justify their use?”

in town NEVER. especially in aberdeen where your never doing more than 3mph more than 3 foot from the car infront. Fog light , holding on the brake – either way as the car behind it does my nut in.

DezB
    Free Member

You’ve got a car with a NEW BUTTON! You must use it whenever you feel like it… one day you’ll be driving along, a bit bored and start thinking “Ooh, that button, haven’t pressed that in a while”… then you must press it. You can’t see the results, so what does it matter when?

scaredypants

ringmaster ?

scuzz
    Free Member

Well I thought the point was they stopped you being dazzled by the reflected light from the headlights, how do they do that if they’re still on?

Mainbeam = dazzled.
    Dipped + fog = can sort of see.

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks all, I actually think if they work they might be handy, we do get a fair bit of mist and fog here with living near a river.
    I was actually surprised that I can turn my headlights off and leave fogs on, thats why I thought there might be some conditions where that was the thing to do.
    Ringmaster- snigger 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

“What about rear fog lights, is a bit of drizzle sufficient to justify their use?”

in town NEVER. especially in aberdeen where your never doing more than 3mph more than 3 foot from the car infront. Fog light , holding on the brake – either way as the car behind it does my nut in.
    I was joking, never had the need to use the rear ones more than once or twice in fog in my entire life. Although they are useful for shitting up tailgaters at night (if they are part of your main light clusters) who think they are brake lights!

globalti
    Free Member

They’re a waste of time and money in my view; they don’t improve your vision in fog over dipped headlights and idiots leave them on to annoy me.

My Passat has daytime driving lights and I’ve programmed them OFF in case anybody thinks I’m an incompetent driver with my fogs on.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Agree with trail rat – far too many people using foglights when it rains, thought the name would have been a clue for when to use them.

johnellison
    Free Member

deano8 – Member

Incorrect.

There is no hard and fast rule. The Highway Code suggests using them if visibility is “seriously reduced”, but doesn’t define what “seriously reduced” is; the police driving manual “Roadcraft” suggests only using foglamps when visibility is reduced to 100m or less.

The federales take a dim view of using them in anything other than zero visibility.

Cougar

… as I said just up there ^^

far too many people using foglights when it rains, thought the name would have been a clue for when to use them.

The name’s a misnomer. If visibility is seriously reduced, “fog” lights may be appropriate in rain.

(can open, worms everywhere)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fog lights’ is closed to new replies.