Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • FoD this weekend
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Anybody care to show me around some other parts of the FoD like The Lawnmower trail and Dr. Johns? My usual route faffs about in the FODCA enclosure then bobs down to Dowies via Henrys/Rollercoaster.

Tea and a slice of cake on offer (and if it's Sheldon, no, really this time!).

Ta!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hi problem with Lawnmower and Dr johns is that there is not great trails to get to them.The two are good but boring getting to them.You can do Dr johns and then go over the railway line to the Dowies but thats long winded.Dr johns is behind the rising sun pub if thats any help by Parkend.
    When i say boring thats compared to the other stuff in the Forest.

Rickos
    Free Member

OK. I was kind of inspired by this – http://www.fountaininnandlodge.co.uk/biking_mallards_pike_loop_one.html – and was hoping they could be tied into a longer route than my usual 15 miler, but if they are the little jewels in an otherwise so-so area then maybe I need to wander about elsewhere.

bikey
    Free Member

I was in the FOD last weekend all be it for a flying visit to a mates in Coleford before heading off to South Wales for the weekend! Ahh, the lawnmower trail. I built that one and a few other hidden/hard to find gems up on top of Staple Edge. Some one posted up on here recently that the area on top of Staple Edge was due to be logged and the trail would be out of action for a while, so it would be worth riding it sooner or later?

Alas I dont live in the FOD any more and only really get there to ride every 6/8 weeks or so, but would be happy to show you round that side of the forest next time I am up there again?

Matt

Rickos
    Free Member

Matt – thanks for that. I read about that area being logged too (I think it was Sheldon wot wrote it), so I figured it might be nice to ride there beforehand. Keep me posted when you're next back.

sheldona
    Free Member

Dobie, my 38 miler Killer Loop has some nice trails in to get out to LM and DrJ's 😉

Prob not going down this weekend as going to ride the Cotswolds

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I the KILLER LOOP is that the one that takes 6 hours 3 hours riding 3 hours for pictures :roll:.
    I have nothing against that area just seems abit dull behind speech house.
    Use to do a Pludds/Dowies loop which was 35miles.Spend to much time on the downhill runs then go over to Dowies.Love Dowies2 or X which ever one its call.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Would i need one of those FUNNY bikes to do the killer loop?with no Gears 😆

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Be a shame if the Lawnmower Trail gets logged especially as some kind souls have done some extensions towards Mallards (many thanks whoever you are 🙂 )

Rick – Happy to show you LT & DJ if you don't know where they are and some other stuff in between..

Rickos
    Free Member

davidx – drop me a line, my e-mail is in my profile. When would you be thinking of going out?

psling
    Free Member

Waves at Matt… Hi! The other 'lawnmower' trails you did on the top side have pretty much gone now [lack of use 🙁 ] The wood on the slopes below the bungalows has been sold; apparantly the top will be clear felled and the lower slopes thinned. I also understand some of the wood in there is diseased.

Rickos, I'm at work today but can ride tommorrow [Sunday] if you're free. I'll email you when I get home later. We could ride from Monmouth or Pedalabikeaway.

Rickos
    Free Member

psling – have e-mailed you back. Alas I can't ride tomorrow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘FoD this weekend’ is closed to new replies.