• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by JC.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • FoD – M/C track revamped
  • Steelfreak
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just to let FoD riders know that the M/C trail has been revamped and needs riding in (starts from a mound at the end of the ridge not too far from Dowies & the Bigfoot trail). Just be careful on the last section if you don’t know it as there are a couple of options into the final bomb hole and the final drop off has an awkward turn into it

peteimpreza

What is an M/C trail?

Steelfreak
    Free Member

The ‘Motorcycle Trail’… It’s one of four MTB trails near Ellwood in The Forest of Dean. Recently it had all but disappeared, but now it’s been reinstated and needs riding in.

bikey
    Free Member

Hello steelfreak
    Can you be a bit more descriptive please? I am in Milkwall and road down Dowies yesterday. I am not aware of the track you are talking about? If I ride up to Elwood past the school on my right, then past the football pitch on my left and leave the road on the bend to go to the start of Dowies, where do I go after that?

Matt

psling
    Free Member

Hi Steelfreak.

Matt. It’s sometimes referred to as Dowies 2, starts opposite the end of the Bigfoot trail, more often riders join the end of it only [below Dowies and the Skull] with a choice of two runouts.

Motorcycle Trail because Dowie originally created his trails on a motorcyle :~)

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Hi All,

The trail I’m talking about is not Dowies 2 (the muddy one). To get to the trail I’m talking about, come out at the bottom of the Bigfoot trail, then turn right along the fire road (slightly uphill). Go past the first (rough) fire road climb on the right, then turn up the next fire road that climbs up the ridge. Near the top you’ll see a barrier with a house beyond. Just before the barrier there is an overgrown mound on the left; climb the mound any way you can (no obvious path) and the trail starts from the top. (If you don’t want to bother with the mound, just cut in and start at its base.) The first section is fast (or will be when ridden in) singletrack. Just watch the final bomb hole – there are two lines, one slightly more ‘gnarly’ than the other (might want to scope out first). The final drop off onto a track is easy in itself, but there’s an awkward turn into it (again, scope out first).

Hope this helps…

dropoff

good to know this is rideable again it was one of my favourites.

daj
    Free Member

Where abouts are these trails please? I always do the same thing when I go shamefully

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

+1. Need a map !!!
    Sadly I have never heard of the Bigfoot trail either, although I ride the Forest a lot. Having said that I do tend just to ride bits without knowing what they are called !

Marv

marvintheandroid
    Free Member

Is it anywhere near the brick works ?
    EDIT Scratch that, found it. Never done that bit of the forest. /EDIT

M

psling
    Free Member

Oops, sorry Steelfreak, my mistake ;~)

I can remember following H the first time I rode that one as he dissappeared over the mound on his old hardtail and me thinking ‘who is this mad white-haired old man with no fear’ !

daj, marvin, you’ll have to join a guided ride in FoD with someone to show you these trails; they’re not always easy to find and directions are difficult to give as one tree-lined junction is much the same as another.

dropoff

If you live in the FOD area you could always join the Bigfoot club they do regular rides in the FoD and at Cranham

iDrew
    Free Member

Thanks for the update on this 8)

I’m up the hill in Sling, so will have to come and find it and give it a go

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

It was put in a fair few years ago,it starts at a big Knole or as said above a big mound.First part was great then came that crazy right angled drop of 5/6 foot around a tree with no speed.Was down there yesterday doing Dowies 2,son of the Dowies has had it for good i think.Do i need my beta200?
    Thanks for info.

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

Stealfreak Hi

Glad to hear you are about tidying the trails – hopefully the trail will get bedded in faster by posting here on STW – worked for me when I "found" 1WhoWaits and posted hints on the forum. Rode it yesterday and it looks like it is still getting used but not overused as say the Shrine.

STS alias 1morepixie

mrmo
    Free Member

STS, which is 1whowaits? so many trails and most go by different names depending on who you ride with and whether they are the creator or they just came across them. Also, the trees? where on the shrine, before or after the tump?

mattsccm
    Free Member

What was wrong with D2? Been there once a week roughly for months and saw no problems. I’m having lunch and walking up there with the dogs to look.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sorry mis read.
    Didn’t know the one refered to was needing attention though. Its good on the cx bike in the dark.

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

Mr Mo

Hi there – still enjoying the mud ?

1Whowaits is the trail I found (not far from the Bombhole where you lost your sleeveless top and the Campsite). there is a tree shaped like an old knarley face. He is the one who waits !

As for the trees on the Shrine they are after the tump – you cannot miss them as they must be 50-60 foot long.

mrmo
    Free Member

Just loving the mud…..

not a new trail to me then, oh well.. Shrine does need a rest.

dropoff

If you feel the need and have the ba**s for it then after crossing the firetrack at the end of the motocross carry on down, left along the off camber bit,right down the REALLY steep bit then sharp left and off the end of the rock. God that makes me smile.

JC
    Free Member

Hi steelfreak am off to FoD this weekend – know D1 and D2 well but not the mound – from bottom of D1 do I head right up the fire road and …

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘FoD – M/C track revamped’ is closed to new replies.