Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • FoD DH trails – which are do-able on a trail bike?
  • bonni

Off to FoD this week, to try some off-piste (finally tracked down a gpx file for 2015 Enduro). However, I was wondering which of the DH runs are not too gnarly and can be ridden on a FS trail bike? Any suggestions?

chiefgrooveguru

All of them – if you’re a decent rider. If it’s wet the rootier sections are more challenging.

Some of the off-piste stuff proved a bit too intimidating or technical for me last time I was there but my trail bike would have been absolutely in its element with a more competent pilot!

riklegge

I would say they can all be done on a trail bike (if you mean the ones at Cannop)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Generally best to say what you won’t ride on your trail bike

[video]https://youtu.be/r6bpmj2uoAU[/video]

bonni

Cheers. Yes, Cannop.

bonni

OK, well is it possible to rank them in terms of gnarliness? That way I could benchmark the easier ones first?

simonloco
    Free Member

All of them, although do check sections first on a few of the harder ones as mentioned above a few steep and rooty bits

trailwagger
    Free Member

OK, well is it possible to rank them in terms of gnarliness? That way I could benchmark the easier ones first?

The trail head signs do this for you… one dot easy up to three dots hard.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably some vids and descriptions to help
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/forest-of-dean/videos/

chakaping
    Free Member

Most of it was more fun on a trail bike when I was last there (a few years ago though).

Fit a front mudguard if it’s been wet.

bonni

Thanks all for the input.

Good call mikewsmith. I’ll give Trailforks a shufty.

riklegge

bonni for what it’s worth, I find “corkscrew” and the variations around it to be good to start on.

stevied
    Free Member

They’re all rideable on a trail bike. This time of year they can be a bit slippery on the roots so care is needed. As said, 1 dot = easiest, 3 dots = hardest.
    Last time I was there a young lady was going down the blue on one like this:

baldiebenty
    Free Member

If talking DH routes, the bottom half of SheepSkull (one of my favourites) is currently closed so the DTV can do some repair work.

chiefgrooveguru

I recommend riding around the bigger drops on GBU if you’re feeling any less than fully committed. 😉

wallop

Yeah, all of them! It’s ace fun in FoD. Endo is the hardest one for me – nothing big to ride off but there’s a steep nadgery switchback that always gets me 😆

maxtorque

Also “trail bike” is quite a big church these days!

A brilliant rider could ride everything at FoD on a 100mm hardtail with a 73 deg head angle, a more average rider however might find that less than ‘fun’… 😉

joebristol

You’ll be fine. We did an uplift day last spring there and nothing is that big or scary on the marked trails.

GBU was the hardest I thought – quite rooty and some reasonable size drops – some on corners so you can’t use speed to clear them. I only did that once as I didn’t much enjoy it.

Endo and Mr Rooty are quite steep / off camber / rooty – if it’s wet (like it was for us) they’re quite interesting…..

Since I’ve been there they’ve built a freeride area which I’m quite keen to go and try this year.

You’re be reet!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Okay I’ll bite.

If you’re not mega tough and double hard the easier trails seem to be on the left of the fire road heading down from the trail head – smooth, man made surfaces, Little or no roots, jumps but rollable, no gaps – I don’t know them very well but apart for the odd steep bit they’re no harder than the blue XC. They seem to lead down to ‘launchpad’ which my kid can ride.

The trails on the right have more roots and technical features including blind drops with short landings roots and rocks

ajaj
    Free Member

I think it very much depends on your skill level. Sheepskull and Ski Run are, I think, the easiest and where my skill/bravery run out.

These days the trails are well signed from the top so much easier to know which is which than before.

Launchpad is first on the left and is smooth and surfaced, and an absolute hoot. The others, including the others on the left have roots and, in places, 40cm drops in eroded ruts from and onto slippery roots. There is the odd steep, root filled shoot onto the road that scare the willys out of me but everyone else seems fine on them.

The Enduro route is good fun if it’s not too wet.

There’s apparently more off-piste if you turn right immediately at the drop-off point.

Northwind

I think I rode everything bar one of the unsighted drops at the bottom on the hardail, but “ridden” does vary, I basically mince most of the jumps regardless of bike so it barely counts and the way I do the drops looks nothing like the brave fast boys 😆 I guess what I’m saying is, don’t worry about rideable, worry about funnable.

Personally I could ride Flatland and Sheepskull all day and not be bothered about what else is rideable, lovely > hard

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve ridden most bar the bigger unsighted stuff on GBU on a HT, but prefer the comfort of a FS. That’s not to say I’m any good BTW!

I absolutely love the Sheepskull->Ski Run but am finding myself riding away from the centre on non-centre descents now (there are loads!).

Might head there tomorrow if it’s not dangerously windy.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They’re all fine on a hardtail – GBU is one of my favourite runs. I like Ski Run too from the fire road down (mainly because I like the table tops near the bottom) and I like the lower section of Corkskrew too.

You’ll be fine on a bouncy bike – my Scout is a hoot on the DH trails there.

SOAP
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

timidwheeler

I personally think corkscrew is the easiest run.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘FoD DH trails – which are do-able on a trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.