Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Focus or Golf?
  • Dark-Side

I’m looking at buying either a diesel Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI or a VW Golf 1.9 TDI of some description. I have a budget of about £7k and it must be 55 plate or more recent and less than 70,000 miles on the clock. I know I’m going to get a lot more kit in an equivalent priced Focus compared to the Golf, but as a car loan will make up £6k of the purchase price, would I be better off choosing the Golf as it will lose less of it’s value over the loan period, and offset some of the interest on the loan. I also have to consider insurance as I’m a first time driver (albeit a little older at 33). Which car would be your choice?

loddrik
    Free Member

Golf, absolutely no question! 2.0tdi would be the preferred choice though.

M6TTF
    Free Member

You’ll get a newer, better specced focus, but I’d still go for the golf based on desirability for resale

vegasdave
    Free Member

They’re both good cars, VWs aren’t as good as their reputation. Fords are a lot better than theirs.

althepal

Focus, had both, think the focus is more practical, more room in the back for bikes and stuff.
    Had my (petrol) focus for five years/60k miles, all it’s needed are 4 tyres, a steering pump pipe and some oil.
    Only issue with focus is that the early washer jets aren’t well sealed and allow water to drip down and collect around the spark plugs.. Just something to look out for.. Think the diesels have an engine cover that prevents this.

Drac

Golf but I’m biased. MIL has had a few Focuses which I’ve driven, no where near as nice as the Golf but still a good car but prices plummet on them.

vegasdave
    Free Member

As an aside,I hang onto my cars so depreciation isn’t a problem….good job,cos I own a Fiat.

redthunder
    Free Member

I thought you said focus on GOLF :-(.

Anyway, I have a load of golf balls if anyone is interested. MaxFli, Noddle ICe etc. New.

Mail me special STW rate 🙂

ski
    Free Member

as mentioned above, your quite close to VW 2.0tdi for that sort of money, not that there is anything wrong with the 1.9tdi.

On my 2nd 1.9tdi, first did over 200k before I traded it, this one is on 90k and feels like it will beat my old one for milage 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Bear in mind Passats and Jettas are often cheaper and better specced, cos everyone thinks of Golf first in VW and they view Passats as repmobiles.

I test drove all three although I had a higher budget so that put me in 2-3 year old range, but that was 18 months ago. For me the Focus was dreary inside and poorly specced (no cruise), and the main advantage I assumed of handling wasn’t an issue for my sorry motorway-bound self.

jam-bo

I wanted to like the focus and save myself some cash but seeing as I can spend nearly 2 hours a day in a car I wanted something I wanted to be in.

Bought an A3 1.9 tdi sport quattro in the end. Was much better kept than the equivalent golfs I looked at and a much better spec. Goes round corners too which the mk4 golf really doesn’t.

john_drummer
    Free Member

£7000 will get you a lot of Focus
    or not quite so much choice of Golf

After all’s said & done, though, the proof is in the test-driving. You might hate the Golf & love the Focus, or vice-versa

simon_g

Both of those have rough old tractor engines – Focus is a very old-tech unit (go for a 1.6 or 2.0 diesel instead!), the VW 1.9 is better but still noisy, gruff and has a stupidly narrow powerband.

£7k gets you in a Civic with the class-leading 2.2 CTDI engine, plus way more boot space, seats that fold properly flat (and flip up, cinema-style, if you want too) and even the basic SE models are better specced than most Golfs you come across.

Conqueror
    Free Member

adamant it has to be a Focus or Golf?

no Skoda Fabia, Honda Civic, Volvo c30 (1.6d is very efficient) in the mix?

Saccades
    Free Member

*Only issue with focus is that the early washer jets aren’t well sealed and allow water to drip down and collect around the spark plugs.. Just something to look out for.. Think the diesels have an engine cover that prevents this.*

nah, they just got rid of the spark plugs, much easier.

Drac

£7k gets you in a Civic with the class-leading 2.2 CTDI engine

Yeah right it’s bloody awful engine.

Like others have said look at the 2.0TDi Golf if you can.

molgrips
    Free Member

2.2 CDTI is fantastic. Well it was in the car I test drove. Strong as hell, pulled like a train throughout the rev range. 0-60 in 8.4 seconds and 50mpg – what’s not to like?

Drac

50mpg on a diesel is it 1990s again?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My mum drives a Focus. That is all…

DickBarton

Out the 2 it would be the Focus as the Golf does absolutely nothing for me, they appear to be very dull unless you get the real sporty ones; seem to be largely driven by old folk or young families (nothing wrong with either) and that just doesn’t inspire me to want to drive or own one.

I’ve driven a few and they have been nice to drive but I just wouldn’t want to own one, I believe they are way overpriced and dull…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

60 in 8.4 seconds and 50mpg – what’s not to like?

A) Its not gonna do both of those at once…..

B) Show me the mpg figures please!

D) Stick a 2.2l turbocharged PETROL engine in it and watch the oil burner go backwards in the mirror…..

Conqueror
    Free Member

Drac what on earth is that based on… Honda have a good reputation for building engines

cba googling extensively.. but parkers said this about the 2.2 CDTI

The sole diesel is the quiet and refined 2.2-litre i-CTDi which is one of the best diesel engines around

about the 1.8l

The new 1.8-litre i-VTEC engine made its debut in the Civic and it’s a remarkable unit, delivering high performance for its size with the fuel consumption of a much smaller engine. It can sprint from 0-62mph in 8.9 seconds and is a lovely to exploit as it revs freely but remains refined even when pushed hard

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/honda/civic-hatchback-2006.aspx?page=2

Drac

Drac what on earth is that based on..

Driving one speaking to people who owned one.

vegasdave
    Free Member

He’s bein arsey,the Honda engine is a class apart from the VW lump 1.9,or 2 litre. I don’t like that spoiler thingy on the rear window,tho.

Xylene
    Free Member

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI ST – available for 7k easily

That 2.2 Honda unit is the same one in Vauxhalls as well.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Ok I can be arsed googling

—————————————

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2010/08/cars/audi/britains-most-reliable-cars-named

Honda has been named as the most reliable manufacturer for the fifth year running, with the top seven spots being dominated by Japanese manufacturers.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-100-most-reliable-cars-of-the-last-decade-in-order/5657/

6. Honda Civic – Solid build quality and good engines are just part of the appeal, the Civic is one of the most spacious small cars around. Great value.

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=481065

Yep,over 15 million VTEC’s produced and not one failure.

Unbelievable engines!

Top 10 most reliable cars

The Honda Civic has been voted the most reliable car in the UK in a survey of 840,000 cars operated by UK fleet and lease companies.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Out the 2 it would be the Focus as the Golf does absolutely nothing for me, they appear to be very dull unless you get the real sporty ones

See, in my eyes its completely the opposite.

Does it have to be a Golf or a Focus? As the girls above are bitching about, the Civic should be worth a look. My brother and sister in law have just got a (rubbish apparently) 2.2 CDTI for about £7k and love it. Doesn’t the Mazda 3 get mentioned sometimes? A3s must fall into your requirements (just) do they? Seat Leon.

Or to blow all the above out the water, mk2 Octy vRS. Mines an estate, cost sub £7k, 06 plate, 60k on the clock from a main dealer.

Or another option. The Astra. Nicer to look at IMHO from the inside and outside than the Focus, more kit etc. Mate had a 2L SRI estate that ticks all your boxes and cost him a couple of grand less than your budget.

JohnnyPanic

I would (and did) pick the Focus. Couldn’t stand to pay £1,500 more for the same spec’d Golf. You will get better resale on the Golf, but that difference will depreciate so depends how long you’re keeping it. £8k, 27K, 07 plate Focus 2.0tdci Ghia, 18 months ago. Goes well, drives & handles well. 50mpg plus if i’m kind to it.

I’m sure the Golf is decent too, just overpriced.

toppers3933
    Free Member

the focus 1.8tdi engine is nowhere near as good as the 2l tdi. we’ve just got rid of one. got an octavia vrs as a replacement. bigger much more powerfull engine but a piece more economical.

Moonhead
    Free Member

VW’s are costly to fix, been there and didn’t like it. Next car is a focus.

Drac

Ok I can be arsed googling

Google all you want I still found it an awful engine, not nice at all I found it sluggish and dull compared the Golf and in fact not even as good as my old Pug Diesel Turbo. I mentioned nothing of reliability which seems to be you point.

brooess
    Free Member

I had this debate 3 years ago, got the Focus
    1. better reviews
    2. more fun to drive
    3. after 3 years they’ve lost a lot of value already. Yes it can still depreciate but most has already happened
    4. The Golf was a lot more expensive. Yes you get a better price when you sell it but you’ve already paid that additional amount up front
    5. Had no probs with the Focus – perfectly reliable

alanl6538
    Free Member

my 2 cents,

had 08 golf for company car for 6 months – nice car, though basic and small. no problems and felt solidly built.

Got 58 plate focus as long term company car (1.8 tdci zetec) – higher spec, better to drive / faster & bigger boot. City mpg is just over 30, motorway at 70/80mph gets you up to 50mpg.

The bad news about the focus, clutch failed after year one. a colleague with exact same model/vintage car had same problem 2 months later. not sure if it’s a bad batch or if there is a problem with the 1.8 tdci. In the last 2 months, the clutch has started to slip at 90mph again. Definitely on it’s way out – 2 clutches in 25000 miles. The central locking is making a funny clunk at the passenger side lock. The drivers electric window vibrates as it reaches the top randomly.

I always say I prefer the focus as long as I am not paying the fuel bill / servicing / repair costs.

If it was my money, I might not feel the same… tough one.

Going for the new 2011 plate focus to replace the existing one next month.

amodicumofgnar

Got a Focus 1.8tdci paid the same for it as my previous car Audi A4 estate 1.9TDI. Focus had 50k on the clock and now with 90 feels worse than the audi did with 250k on it. Acutally feels worse than the Audi did when I got it with 120k on it. The Focus goes from A to B but its just not that well thought out and not that much cheaper to run than the Audi. Fuel economy is worse on the Focus, running costs were less but not that much less. I was using the local garage rather than a main dealer.

alanl6538
    Free Member

To go back to my post, there isn’tmuch between them really. If it was my money, I wouldn’t get either. Go for older Audi/BMW etc.

wallop

I have had both a Golf and a Civic – both diesel. Focus feels naff in comparison to both, but no denying they are easy and cheap to run. Out of the three I’d go for the Civic. Golf feels nice but servicing costs seem high and there is more room in the Civic. Civic was always better on fuel and accelerated more like a petrol.

Dark-Side

Hmmm, thanks everyone for your input. Clear as mud then. After a couple of recommendations for the Civic (which I have always loved the look of) I have realised it is actually well within budget, furthermore the 1.8 VTEC will actually be just as economical as a diesel focus, taking fuel prices and anticipated mileage into account. The insurance difference between group 6 and 9 is negligible as well. Does anyone own a new shape 1.8 VTEC Civic, and what are your views?

simon_g

Have had one as a courtesy car – not as torquey but quieter at idle and slow speeds, and a really pleasant drive. Similar outright performance if needed (for overtakes, etc) but the petrol just needs more revs for it.

Usual consensus on the civinfo site (which is worth a look if you’re thinking of buying) is that the total running costs of the 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel are actually pretty similar. Everyone seems to want diesels these days (even those not doing anything like the mileage to justify them) so secondhand petrols are great value.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Had a Golf 1.9tdi for two years sold it to get a Mondeo 2.0TDCI. My dad had the old shape focus estate 1.8TDCI 115bhp. The Focus is better in every respect than the Golf. Better torque spread, better mpg just as reliable if not better. The handling of the Focus is light years ahead of the Golf. Obviously the badge isn’t as good on the Focus.

1.8 VTEC petrol just as economical as a diesel Focus. You have your VTEC coloured glasses on! Not a chance, look at 30mpg max for the VTEC on a good day with the wind behind you and no other traffic on the road. You can’t really compare the newer TDCI to the old TDDI they are Night and Day really

singlecrack
    Free Member

7 grand on a car …are you mad ..you could buy a bike for that…. 😆

new shape Focus is not as good as the older Focus.
    Vw hold their money better.

Civic wins every time 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Focus or Golf?’ is closed to new replies.