Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flyingmonkeycorps' Car Saga: The Conclusion
  • flyingmonkeycorps

So, as you know, I’ve been badgering the forum for information on a range of different cars for the last few weeks. Last weekend I narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities (an MG TF160 and a Mazda MX-5) and duly set off to test drive a couple.

I won’t go into too much detail as to why I didn’t like the MG; I did so in another thread. The main issue was that I didn’t fit, so that was off the cards.

I fit quite nicely in the MX-5, so I bought it. Picked it up on Wednesday, put some petrol in it and set off home (from Scunthorpe, to Hull). It was immediately obvious that the wheels needed balancing, but more alarming was the terrifying judder that manifested any time I wasn’t accelerating. Got home (pretty steadily!) and booked it into the garage immediately.

Turns out that both the rear wheels were loose. Scary, but obviously an easy fix. Also had the wheels balanced and new rear pads fitted. Took it out at the weekend and, unsurprisingly, with the wheels properly attached and balanced it’s like a different car. Plenty quick enough for me, I’ve not really tried to test the handling yet but I’ve a feeling it can go round corners MUCH faster than I can. Then you put the top down, and the awesome levels just increase tenfold.

Couple of quick pictures courtesy of Instagram:

I think MrsMonkey’s smile in the second pic says it all.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Cool – they are really good cars. Lots of fun to drive and because they are so low you’re never going as fast as you think, so not really worrying about breaking the speed limit.

Find a roundabout to test the handling. Just go a little faster until it starts to skid at the back. Don’t brake, just turn into it. The chassis are very good and easy to handle when the back end slides.

Gravel car parks are also very good fun!

Might be worth checking over a few other things on the car if the rear wheels were loose. Maybe put it in for a pre-winter service or something?

legend
    Free Member

For some reason I thought you were looking at a mk1? As you’ve got a mk2, it’ll definitely be worth having a thorough check of the chassis rails for rust

flyingmonkeycorps

Fortunately I’m on very good terms with the mechanic who did the wheels, he gave it a quick once over whilst it was in and reckons it’s fine. I do plan on getting it serviced soon, but it might have to wait till next payday!

We’re actually thinking about doing a skid pan day, MrsMonkey is not the most confident driver and I tend to get carried away so I reckon we might both benefit.

**edit** Aye I was looking at MK1s as well, but the MK2 was a bit more civilised inside for commuting and such. Getting the chassis rails checked is definitely on the “ASAP” list.

bigrich

you bought a car without test driving it?

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah, I test drove it briefly and it was fine. It was only a steady lap of the block though due to no tax / insurance.

DezB
    Free Member

it can go round corners MUCH faster than I can

Made I laugh. Were you running?

stumpy01

Looks nice.

Weirdly, the number plate says 2002, but the photo appears to have been taken in the late ’70s?

flyingmonkeycorps

Made I laugh. Were you running?

Rollerskates.

Weirdly, the number plate says 2002, but the photo appears to have been taken in the late ’70s?

I’m just living in the past maaaaaaan. And I have a soft spot for Instagram filters.

GeForceJunky

Awesome 🙂 I have a MK1 waiting in my garage to be fixed. Will be back on the road in December … can’t wait! Currently having MX5 withdrawal symptoms!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Damn you. I look at MX5s now and then as I badly want another but it’d purely be used as a weekend toy and with the two mini-DBWs its not exactly practical. But blatting around with wooly hats on at this time of year with the roof down appeals. A lot. Wonder how Mrs-DBW would like a car shaped xmas present…

molgrips
    Free Member

I like to go against the grain, so here goes:

I want a new model one of those.

flyingmonkeycorps

I fully plan to have the hood down at any given opportunity. It’s just grin inducing.

I like the look of the new ones tbh, but I couldn’t afford one!

Pigface
    Free Member

Being rude sorry what did you pay for it?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I always have the roof down unless it’s raining.
    Woolly hat, heaters and heated seat on = sweet

flyingmonkeycorps

Paid £1,800 Pigface, 69k miles, FSH, recent cambelt etc.

**edit** roof goes down as soon as it’s dry, I don’t like putting it down wet for fear of mould and such.

Pigface
    Free Member

Sweet thanks 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

No worries 🙂

bruk

Loved our ex MX5. Both used to have the hood down at any opportunity. I have a vague memory saying that you shouldn’t drop the hood below certain temps as it can increase wear on it! Maybe that’s why we had to replace the hood on ours.

Enjoy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I want a new model one of those.

Dont you will be dissapointed. The Mk1 and Mk2 are way better than Mk3 +

OP – Definitely take the car to a wet greasy empty roundabout. If you dont, one day you will get one hell of a shock 😆

Edit: What were you thinking of even looking at a MG TF160 😯

TPTcruiser

Driving gloves for Xmas!
    Loose wheels? Had they switched the tyres, swapped a matching set for a higgledy piggledy set close to the end of life?

flyingmonkeycorps

I thought I should test something else just for balance. It reassured me in the belief that I wanted an MX5.

Nope, no dodgy tyres, there’re good Toyo Proxes (which I just typo’d as Prosex) on every corner. That was one of the things that sold me on it, ironically enough.

Never mind driving gloves, I want one of these:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flyingmonkeycorps' Car Saga: The Conclusion’ is closed to new replies.