Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Flying with tubeless?
  • willchrist
    Free Member

If the requirement is to deflate tyres when flying, do you break the bead seal, remove all the Stan’s fluid and then add new and try to seal tyre again when abroad? Or do you leave some some pressure in the tyre and not break the bead seal?

scaredypants

It’s impossible to remove all of the air in there, so remove what you feel is appropriate (I’d recommend at least, oh, 1 psi). Then you can honestly say you’ve deflated them.

What do “they” think’ll happen anyway ? I bet guess the atmospheric pressure drop at 30,000 feet is less than the internal gain when you even sit on the bike, let alone landing one of your massive jumps
    (edit: actually I suspect the change on sitting on the thing is probably small but I still don’t think you need to deflate)

Personally, I do deflate but that’s determined by getting them to fit into my case – down to about 10psi I’d guess and I’ve never brought down a plane in the process

ndthornton
    Free Member

No point letting them down unless they don’t fit in the bag.

…or if you were very close to your weight limit, Inflated tyres weigh a little bit more than flat ones 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you deflated your tyres
    Yes I have
    OK take it to oversize then…

Edit the hold is pressurised to the same as the cabin.

avdave2

I know some people reckon tubeless is a bit quicker than tubed but don’t believe all that crap about how it’s going to make you fly.

legend
    Free Member

Edit the hold is pressurised to the same as the cabin.

Even if it wasn’t, the pressure difference at 36,000ft is only 10PSi

mikekay
    Free Member

Mike above hit the nail on the head

baddddad
    Free Member

Flown a number of times without letting them down – will be absolutely fine

Duffer
    Free Member

I wonder how they deflate the aircraft’s tyres during flight…

Jokes aside; as mentioned above, the holds are pressurised. So forget about your tyres.

ferrals
    Free Member

Duffer – Member

So forget about your tyres.

No, definately take your tyres, you still need them abroad 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Duffer – Member
    I wonder how they deflate the aircraft’s tyres during flight…

I believe this along with words beginning with B and ending with kamboom are things not to say at check in…

The only thing I do consider is if you are at the top end pressure of a shock (the 300 end)

oldnpastit

If the hold de-pressurises, a few tyres swelling up a bit will be the least of your worries.

vincienup
    Free Member

I mostly deflated my tyres last summer when flying. Result was a bike bag full of Stans and needing to remount Tubeless tyres with local facilities on first night which somewhat complicated unpacking for me.

I’d leave them at normal pressure or completely strip and arm yourself for remounting.

A few psi in bike tyres or pressurised shocks and forks is FUD as far as ‘will my aeroplane die’. As pointed out the hold should never be in a state where it might become a problem unless everyone is already dead…

globalti
    Free Member

The fuselage of a passenger plane is pressurised to around 10,000 feet.

Do the tyres of the peloton explode when they cross an Alpine col at 10,000 feet?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They ask you to let them down simply so that the bike won’t roll so easily. Makes it easier for the baggage handlers.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sometimes. Yes. (Nothing to do with the pressure, more to do with it being a random pain in the arse getting a flat at the top of a col.)

Then they make a loud bang.

Not a good idea in the hold of an aircraft.

All sorts of bits and pieces in there that don’t like being exploded at.

Just let them down a bit, enough to remain seated. But also keep enough air in there to protect the rims.
    I suspect my definition of “deflated” is about 10-15 psi in mtb tyres and about 30-40 in road tyres. So a sort of gentle pfffffffft if they pop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm run my Stans at 28-32 – rated to 50 I think so no issue there.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Me & the mrs travel at least once/twice a year have done for the past 5 years, sometimes asked if they are deflated always say yes, but never actually done it, never had any problems

simon1975

We used to let our MTB tyres down a bit for flying, but once suffered two pinch-flats due to rough baggage-handling. We don’t deflate them any more.

Another advantage of running tubeless for you!

athy62
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t forget to depressurize your shock & forks too lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Flying with tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.