Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Flying with bikes to alps Morzine
  • tweedviper
    Free Member

Planning a trip to Morzine in the summer and don’t really fancy the long drive again so am tempted to fly to Geneva with the bikes, has anyone had any experience of doing this? and I know they have to be in a bike box but are they likely to arrive in one piece or do they treat them like “Taylor guitars”

Any first hand experience gratefully received

DrRSwank
    Free Member

BA lost mine four times. It always turned up though.

And they damaged it three times.

I drive now 🙂

sparkerfix

Prefer to drive but did use Easy Jet last year. Was ok. Bike in proper bag. Just slight Nick in cover.

tweedviper
    Free Member

Ooh dear that doesn’t sound good and is exactly what I am worried about, did they compensate you for damage/loss ?

leth
    Free Member

Been with Easy Jet a few times with no issues so far.

mrhoppy

Flew once, came back with brakes borked. At least it was the return.

Robz
    Free Member

Done it lots of times. No real issues except for one damaged box in 1998. Also worked in morzine for a few years picking up guests from Geneva airport and again don’t recall any real issues re damage.

A few bikes went AWOL for a few days but these were all BA flights with connections.
    Geneva airport sees a lot of bikes, golf clubs and skis etc. There is a big conveyor belt for oversize items.

I’ve flown direct from Edinburgh with Easyjet last few times. Was all good.

jam1e
    Free Member

I flew EasyJet from Bristol to Geneva last year.

Used the cheap Chain Reaction soft bag and everything arrived as expected

Remember to keep a 2 Euro coin for a trolley at Geneva airport though!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Done it a few times, take some sensible precautions and you should be okay – things do go wrong though – bikes get lost (and usually found) damaged slightly or arrive late – usually when a huge pile of mtbers turn up and there’s not enough room in the hold.

It’s a bit quicker than driving – but it’s in no way 45mins flying time v 12 hours driving or whatever- by the time you consider time to airport, arriving 2-3 hours early because you have to check in twice (once for you and once in oversized baggage) and the extra time for bikes to emerge, waiting for your transfers and of course the drive to Morzine- there’s only a few hours in it.

marco
    Free Member

Also done it a few times – with easyjet from Liverpool. Never had an issue, used a cardboard bike box (mate works in bike shop) so packed up nice and secure.
    Morzine is awesome btw

tweedviper
    Free Member

Thanks all, I am feeling a bit better about flying with the bikes after your positive comments, will be with Easyjet from Bristol so I am hoping bikes shouldn’t go missing and as it is a direct flight with no onward destination, if I pack them properly in a bike box they should be ok, but if the worst does happen and they damage my bikes do the airline cover that or is it just my travel insurance?
    Cost is it just a flat £70 or do they charge extra for wheels, handlebars and forks and any dustcaps you may have?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I fly every time now (Liverpool Easyjet). Evoc bag, transfer at Geneva. A doddle. The plane is much better for me. Flown maybe seven times now (MTB and road) and driven twice. The only downside is flying home – the departure lounge is a sad place…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

As suggested above a cardboard box from a bike shop has been the best way of transporting bikes. All my issues occurred using bike bags, which I think the handlers just see as awkward, heavy things to chuck around.

Get to the airport early. And check your bike at arrivals, and complain immediately.

Or drive…..

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I did Easyjet Bristol to Geneva in 2012 for PPDS – at £70 now it’s obviously gone up a fair bit – think it was £25 then for a bike.

The bikes arrived fine. The real PITA was getting out of Geneva from the car hire place, and even worse, finding the way back again. Very, very nearly missed the flight – had name called on tannoy etc. if I am ever fotunate enought to be able to wangle another trip I’ll drive.

I have an EVA bike case for sale if interested – Exeter area. Like the Polaris one on CRC.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All my issues occurred using bike bags, which I think the handlers just see as awkward, heavy things to chuck around.

My evoc seems to get a lot of respect, mostly due to the fact it’s harder to handle badly than properly.

I’ve done the alps by plane a few times, direct is always best but there will be limits on oversize at times so getting there early is important.

I just flew Oz to UK rtn over christmas (6 flights in total) and the bike was fine.

The only issues I have had are
    Flying on this as the last leg of 3 in NZ

The plane was full so no room for extra bags (bags arrived in the morning)
    On the way back from the UK to Oz it didn’t get transferred with the rest of the bags after I cleared immigration/customs at the re-chickin (Sydney is a bit funny) but it arrived home 4hrs after me. I’ve flown with a bike nearly every other month for the last 12.

wozza180
    Free Member

Flown a couple of times with easy jet, hired a bike box alan for £35,the only problem is easy jet changing the policy on the weight you can carry without you knowing, the last time we went it was 32 kilos. I was gonna use a cardboard box last year but was put off by people mentioning if it pisses down with rain on your way to resort and the box is in a trailer not much is gonna be left.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Flying with bikes to alps Morzine’ is closed to new replies.