Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flying with bike newbie – quick question.
  • cmd205
    Free Member

Morning.

Flying form Gatwick to Geneva on Saturday for a week with the White Room.

My flight is the last to arrive before the transfer arrives so I don’t want to muck about any longer than I need to at Geneva.

Having never flown with a bike before I was wondering how easy the baggage collection is at Geneva airport? I have my bike in a box and also 1 item of hold luggage. Does anyone know if the two items are collected from the same place (as in the carousel) or will the suit case come out on the carousel and the bike from somewhere else?

Thanks.

Lester
    Free Member

no it doesnt come out on the carousel, cant remember exactly where, but mine did come out pretty quickly.

not sure if you are interested, but here are some packing tips

I used a bike box last week but all my mets used proper bike bags.
    Theirs all arrived ok,
    On the way there my box got damaged, it’s really easy to damage them by the handle holes, I had to ditch the box and get a new one from a bike shop in Chamonix for the return jourmney, I wouldn’t use a bike box again.
    My tips if you do.
    Try and find a bigger than average box so you don’t have to take the forks off
    Reinforce the handle holes and all the corners with gaffer tape
    Take at least two spare rolls of gaffer tape in your hand luggage just in case you have to open, or repair it at the airport, same on the way back.
    Try and handle it yourself as much as you can yourself before you give it to the handlers, as my mates damaged mine trying to help.
    Get a trolley at the airport, free at he’s throw, you need a two franc or two euro coin.
    Stack the bike upright not across on the trolley, might be harder to look over but you can get through the gaps.
    I used my armour to reinforce the corners and also my shoes.
    Might be best and easier to pack it upside down so seat post and bars are at the bottom
    Good luck

globalti
    Free Member

There is a row of carousels and then the “specials” like skis and bikes come off a separate carousel (No.1, I think, or the last number) at the very far end on your right as you look towards the outside from the baggage hall. So come into the baggage hall, turn right and go as far as you can to the end.

To add to the advice above – don’t let any jobsworth muppet tell you to deflate the tyres; an aircraft is pressurised to 10,000 feet…. do TDF riders’ tyres explode when they ride over an Alpine col at 10,000 feet? No they don’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The answer to the question have you let your tyres down is yes, never start an argument at check-in

augustuswindsock

Take a euro coin to get a trolley to put your bike on too!

Lester
    Free Member

a two euro coin or 2 swiss franc coin 🙂

cmd205
    Free Member

Ok sorted – thanks all.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Or a 2p coin also fits trolleys too.

As above, bikes come out far right. Baggage takes hours in the winter, summer may be faster as less oversized stuff. Have the transfer company number handy just in case.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flying with bike newbie – quick question.’ is closed to new replies.