Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Flying with a fatty
  • sgn23
    Free Member

No, not a thread about sitting next to an overweight passenger.

Has anyone got any experience they can share about getting a Fat bike on a plane? From what I’ve read, the EVOC bike bags and the like wont take a fatty, so are there any alternatives? Or can you get a fatty to fit in an EVOC with a bit of effort – removing tyres perhaps?

jam-bo

Flew with easyjet in the summer. My mates fatbike fitted in a normal bike bag, I think it was one from Evans. I don’t think he even deflated the tyres.

bedmaker

I used one of the cheapo mahoosive Planet X ones twice now. Swallows a fatty no problem fnar fnar

DickBarton

Apart from the 3 days it takes to inflate the tyre to 10psi…just pad it like any other bike…why would it not fit?

dovebiker

A 4″ fatbike might be OK in an Evoc but not sure whether it would take a 5″ tyred, 197mm frame. I used a merida 29er bike bag to take mine to the arctic with racks fitted etc – biggest bag I could find

sgn23
    Free Member

I found this on the EVOC FAQ

Our BIKE TRAVEL BAGs are not designed for fatbikes, which is why we don’t provide packing recommendations for fatbikes.

I think it’s the wheel pockets that aren’t big enough. I like the idea of having a bag with wheels, are there any other options?

frogstomp

My newer Evoc takes a 29er wheel with 2.4-2.5 tyre deflated slightly so a fatty should fit if you are happy to let some air out (and risk popping off the bead). Frame should be fine.

Easiest solution is to probably just borrow one and try it..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Flying with a fatty’ is closed to new replies.