Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Flying with a bike on Cathay Pacific
  • strike
    Free Member

Planning to fly from New York to Vancouver in the next couple of months, and taking my bike (likely in one of those EVA bike pods). I’ve looked at the information regarding sports equipment/bikes on the Cathay Pacific site and can’t get a clear 100% answer on if bikes are charged extra.

Has anyone got any first hand experience of flying with a bike, using Cathay Pacific?

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just booked our tandem to Vietnam on Cathay. No extra charge so long as all luggage within weight allowance. Their website is shite in this regard.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t imagine why CX would run that route. Are you sure it isn’t a codeshare?

boblo
    Free Member

No it’s CX via HK. They fly lots of regional flights out of HK. I flew all over the FE with them when I lived in HK.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks.

I finally managed to speak to a real person at Cathay Pacific! They told me a bike, as long as it is broken down ie wheels off, bars straight etc, can be counted as one piece of hold luggage as long as the total weight is under 23kg.

pomona
    Free Member

I flew NZ to UK and back via HK with Cathay a couple of year ago.

My understanding (which also comes from working at an airport) is that the maximum weight per single bag is 32kg, this is for H&S reasons.
    The 23kg baggage allowance is the limit for a single persons bags. If you’re on your own you get 23kg, anything above is charged at usual excess rates.
    I took my 4 kids with me so we had 115kg between us with no single item over the 32kg limit.

Hope that helps

boblo
    Free Member

23kg is the baggage allowance in economy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Flying with a bike on Cathay Pacific’ is closed to new replies.