• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by rhid.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flying somewhere with a bike on RyanAir
  • rhid

I have read the stuff on the website and still am a bit confused!

So you pay the 70E each way fee (which seems loads) and that will give you upto 30kg of bike allowance? Am I right so far?

So with a normal ticket, if I want to take anything beyond hand luggage and my bike I would need to book in another hold bag?

DO people stuff their bike bags full of clothing and helmets too?

All of a sudden a cheapish flight is not so flippin cheap!!

Ryan Air are the only flights that really suit so going elsewhere is not really an option.

Any help?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All of a sudden a cheapish flight is not so flippin cheap!!

Glad you worked that out so early on. Sure it’s the only option?

rhid

yeah, it is as I live in north wales so driving out will take for ever as we are going to Andorra.

nickc

Yeah, I think last time I flew out to Barcelona, my luggage and bike were twice the price of me! But…That’s their business model, they don’t really want to be flying your luggage so they charge accordingly, and at least they’re upfront and clear about it (unlike some other airlines).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

North Wales gets you Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham easily where you trying to get to?

rhid

I suppose I will just have to just stuff my bike bag full of kit and take hand luggage only.

nickc

Oh, Andorra? Are you going with a guiding company? might I ask who you’re using?

rhid

Singletrack Safari. the deal is pretty good! We are doing a week at the Vallnord bike park. Hopefully…

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yeah that’s pretty much it

Iv came back from Spain on new years day with bike and it was fine. 60 euros for me but its about 40 euros for a hold bag – I stuffed everything in with the bike and still came up 2Kg under the weight limit.

Not that my bag was even weighed
    Monarch weighed it on the way out but Ryan air didn’t even look like they had scales!

rhid

I know the Airports nearby, its just that ryan air offer the only real options regarding flying times. On all 3 airports.

rhid

Ahh cool,

I will just have to not take the whole bike shed with me and think light thoughts when they weight the bike (if they do). Easyjet seem to have cheaper bike rates and offer a slightly higher weight limit too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The other one is to check out transfers out of toulouse too. Or just stump up and take a hold bag, still be cheaper. Bike bag and trail bike come to around 23kg (evoc weighs 9kg) over 32kg and they won’t handle it. 7kg for clothes shoes and bag doesn’t work that well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ryan Air is not cheap, its a very profitable company due in part to all the add on charges (plus the fact that small airports pay them to land there).

Ansolutely you should assume Ryan Air will weigh everything, they are in the business to charge you extra whenever they can

rhid

I will be prepared and get some scales and pack up my stuff and weight it! I agree that 7kg is not a lot for helmet and bag etc etc…

ndthornton
    Free Member

You would be surprised what you can cram in hand luggage these days
    I’m going snowboarding this month and not even bothering with a hold bag.

Use the concept of heavy / compactable stuff in the hand luggage – Bulky/light stuff in the Bike bag

If you still have stuff left just wear it! Layer up and then strip off when you get on board 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I fly with bikes all the time it’s not enough…. As I say 23kg is with a 28lb bike. Chuck in a multi tool, pump couple of tubes and a bag and your doing a lot of washing for the week.

nickc

rhid, I gave in a bought the hold luggage, if you’re going for a week in the bike park, the Full face, and pads will soon add up. I think my bike bag weighs about 8kg by itself, so there’s not much spare weight in there once the bike’s in.

rhid

I suppose I could try and fit armour helmet and shoes in my carry on luggage. I had not really considered doing it that way!

I have easily fitted a weeks worth of clothes in a carry on bag before. Its Andorra, in the summer, I only need a pair of shorts and a string vest right?

rhid

YOu are all probably right about extra bag allowance. My Spec Status is not light weight!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

80 euros return for another hold bag will be cheaper than getting your overweight and oversized hand luggage checked at the gate. For the overall cost of a holiday is it worth scrimping and risking it?

About 50kg is good for a week with bike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol Spesh status, mine is based on a carbon blur ltc with some bling parts…

Though I do seem to manage to max out my 70kg limit these days…

rhid

I have never weighted the bike, however I am certain its a bit over 28lbs!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flying somewhere with a bike on RyanAir’ is closed to new replies.