Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Flying hand luggage. Reverb Dropper post???
  • stoddys
    Free Member

So I’m flying back to Cyprus on Wednesday.
    I flew to the uk with hand luggage only.(cabin not in the hold)
    I’ve picked up a reverb dropper post and want to take it home in my hand luggage.

Will I get through the scanner? Is it prohibited?
    I’m flying with easy jet. Don’t think that matters as the scanner is at the beginning for every flight.

Any input would be great. Don’t think I can call as trying to explain what it is over the phone won’t be easy.

tomhughes46

‘STW Style Uninformed opionion’: Probably not, as it contains liquid!

honourablegeorge

Pressurised cylinder with liquid in it?

Hmm.

fivespot
    Free Member

Scanner won’t be able to see the liquid or compressed air inside the metal tube 😉 fingers crossed the staff don’t know what it is 🙂

trambler

Email Easy Jet and ask the question, you could release the pressure, can you remove the valve core, I don’t know, then you’re just left with titchy bit of fluid. Expensive thing to have taken off you.

stoddys
    Free Member

It was the taking off me I was worried about.
    Perhaps an email with a picture.

GavinB

Having had a scan through the gov.uk website on what’s allowed in cabin and hold baggage, I’d say ‘no’.

It wasn’t the hydraulic fluid or pressurised air chamber bit, but the fact that even tennis rackets and walking poles are not allowed in the cabin, presumably as they can be used as weapons/clubs. The same logic could extend to even a ‘normal’ seat post, so I’d not risk it with a Reverb.

stoddys
    Free Member

Good news

Dear sirs

I hope you can help please.
    I am returning to cyprus with only hand luggage, I have purchased an item for my bicycle and wish to know if I can take it in my hand luggage and pass through security?

This is the item.
    It’s a seat post that goes up and down via a cable and lever.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-reverb-seatpost/rp-prod84856?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CLOSt5eRi8ICFY_MtAod-lkAyw&gclsrc=aw.ds

It has a small amount of hydraulic oil in the attached cable. And is around 400mm long.

I look forward to your reply.
    THE REPLY
    Good Morning Chris.

Thank you for contacting Bristol Airport.

I have spoken to security and can confirm you may take the item you described through security in hand luggage.

Kind Regards
    Sam James

Enquiries
    Customer Services
    Bristol Airport
    Bristol, BS48 3D

Sui
    Free Member

result, take that letter with you!!

What has happened in the past with stuff like this, is it’s boxed up and sent to the hold, wherupon you get a ticket and collect it again at the other side..

stoddys
    Free Member

Sailed straight through not even a glance at me.

Yaaaa

GavinB

Good on you, especially for checking in advance.

It’s probably a tricky one to handle, as where do the draw the line? Seatpost could be used as a weapon, as could even a chainring, or chain for that matter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Flying hand luggage. Reverb Dropper post???’ is closed to new replies.