Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Flue liner and insulation
  • xcracer1
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted just shy of £1k to install a flue liner at around 9 meters long. I see that some sort of insulation is used around some liners which hasn’t been included in my quote. Anyone know the purpose of the insulation, seems like it is there to stop condensation, but how do you know if you need it or not? Also does £1k plus vat seem reasonable for a flue plus fitting/connecting?

geoffj

Vermiculite – reduces condensation and so risk of tarring up / chimney fires.
    If there is room for it, use it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As geoff said, the flue stays warmer so gets less condensation of nasties, plus IIRC the warmer flue gasses convect better so there’s better air flow through the fire.

My bloke offered vermiculite or perlite, I chose vermiculite from gut feeling, he then said it was the better of the two.

(edit) there were two sorts of liner, the more expensive was to be used for wood and coal.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s ridiculously expensive! 1st search pops up the flue being £270 +vat
    Flue
    Then you’ll need a few bit and bobs connection wise, say another 100 quid!
    Tidy profit there!

Bear
    Free Member

How much is the scaffold? And he is allowed to make a profit on materials, plus there should be 2 of them, a van to run, insurance, training costs and other overheads.

flicker
    Free Member

After fitting my own liner I can understand why they charge what they do, and mine was a straight run with no bends.

totalshell

a grand.. the most i ve ever charged is 450.. i pay 170 for the liner pay a guy for 3 hours ..

ladders /roof ladder.. remove original pot/cap lower new liner.. mortar/ test sorted in a morning…

a grand.. thats 830 for labour..

bedmaker

£170 for 9M liner, adaptor and gubbins to secure at the top? Nice!
    Maybe the guy who’s quoted a grand is using stuff which isn’t garbage.

swampi
    Free Member

totalshell…where are you based as i am looking for a install?

geoffj

£170 for 9M liner, adaptor and gubbins to secure at the top? Nice!
    Maybe the guy who’s quoted a grand is using stuff which isn’t garbage.

Or maybe he buys it at trade, not from punter friendly inter web shoppes?

mcwyc
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted £1k for supply and fit of a liner and the installation of a stove (exc stove supply) and the appropriate paperwork and ancills. Appreciate liners are only a few hundred quid but I think it’s the going rate down the south west.

Scaffold and hearth if needed are extras.

bedmaker

Punter friendly web shops are way cheaper than any decent liner at trade prices I’ve seen. I pay over £40 p/m for 904 at trade. Adaptor is about £55.

Back to the OP, the biggest difference you are likely to notice with insulation is that it keeps the flue cleaner. Worth putting in unless you live in an old stone house with dodgy pointing.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

How do you buy sub standard liners are they not made to a bsi standard or simular?

I went into MMF and was quoted some silly price in the region of £100+ per meter for a 904 grade stainless steel chimney liner when told I could get the same for a lot less on line they dropped the price to £26ish for cash well debit card. It was a trade deal so no returns.

As for fitting it took all of 1/2 hour to drop it down the chimney no scafolding etc just a mate who was a climber

granny_ring

OP that’s the sort of price I paid for the installation for same sort of length flue but vermiculite was included, 5 or 6 bags I think was used.

I got 3 quotes and all were around the same price, and yes the parts would have cost around £400 or so but there you go……

wrightyson
    Free Member

Utter bollox as usual on here. I can get a tower that’ll do that for 50quid. Training two men blah blah. I had the flue fitted connected, 4kw stove supplied fitted and connected, cowling done and dusted by two men for £1100 cash. Yes I hammered him price wise, yes I’m in the trade, yes I thought it a lot easier to let someone else go on the roof who would also give me a Hetas cert for all works, but 1000 pound for supply and fit of a flue is a rip off!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Last one I had done cost £900 to supply and fit SS flue and install an inset stove that I had supplied.
    The flue is Poujoulat Tubinox Starflex (double skin 316) and not your cheap crap. List price is £102/m so I got a deal as I paid about £500 for 7m. The stove install was the not exactly easy and involved removing an existing fireback and altering the opening to fit the inset.
    Took two people a full day.
    I’m pretty happy with the price.

xcracer1
    Free Member

Just had another quote and that was £1200, includes fitting the stove, top plate etc. Still think its expensive for 316 grade flue and no insulation – Ive got an old stone house.

Think Ill get another quote as well.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We got several rough “quotes” of £1k to supply + fit an 8m liner when we did one (southampton region).

Ended up DIYing it – easy job.

Getting the hearth area ready for the stove was far more hassle / mess / work.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I think I need to get me a Hetas card!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Are these fitters breaking down the labour costs?

xcracer1
    Free Member

I’ve had several different quotes now but I can’t get it any cheaper than £1k for fitting the flue, plate, chimney fittings and stove including the certification so have gone with it. They did mention my chimney is long at nearly 11m after they measured it with a chimney brush – so longer than the 9m initially thought.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Flue liner and insulation’ is closed to new replies.