Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flue cleaning
  • samuri
    Free Member

Our flue (not chimney) has been condemned by British Gas. The British Gas bloke said it was a blockage in it of some description and with the parting observation that all the houses on our estate are the same, left.
    This was years ago and we’ve had no heating but central heating in all the time which has been fine.

Now my wife wants a fire in the living room but I’ve no idea how to get the flue sorted out. In the loft it’s just a metal pipe and I’m assuming there’s a birds nest in there or something.

Anyone know anything about flue’s? Even better, anyone do this sort of work in the North West, specifically East Lancs? Ultimately we need someone to make the fireplace ready for a gas fire.

Ta.

markenduro
    Free Member

No help with the fitter in the NW request but if you are going to the expense of having it all sorted out and can afford it, fit a multifuel stove, they really are great. Not sure if it will work out much dearer on installation costs. I’m sat on my settee in shorts and t shirt. Since fitting it it has really cut down on the heating bill.

samuri
    Free Member

So do multifuel stoves burn coal and wood?

markenduro
    Free Member

Coal or wood, we run ours mostly on wood, chopped up old pallets, joinery offcuts or logs. Multifuel have grates in the bottom, get one which has top and bottom venting and they will burn pretty much anything as long as it is dry.
    Ours is a portway. if you fit one less than 5kw you don’t need secondary vents to allow air into the house.
    There are loads of websites with all the info if you do a quick google, we live in a 2 bed terrace and it heats pretty much the whole house, best thing we have done since moving in.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yep, they burn pretty much anything! They are awesome. You will most likely need a new flue though for a stove, your old gas one won’t be suitable.
    Get a local sweep to have a look, won’t be dear

midlifecrashes

Just keep it blocked up and have a fire anyway, it’ll only be draughty when there’s no fire going and make the place colder.

Flueless gas fire:

Loads more here.

izakimak
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

As far as I can see, a flueless fire still needs a ventilation point in the room it’s in, and they look expensive. Hole in the wall, vent installed.

try this chap:http://www.chimneysweepuk.co.uk/index2.htm

Ta, I’ll give them a shout.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flue cleaning’ is closed to new replies.