• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flue and Woodburner
  • wheelie

I’m looking to have a external flue installed and a woodburner in the SO32 3np (Southampton, Winchester, Petersfield) area…..any ideas where i might get some pretty keen prices?

br
    Free Member

Get in 3 local suppliers and ask.

Just to give you a guide, the flue will cost more than the stove.

wrightyson
    Free Member

DIY and a co2 monitor. What’s the worse that could happen with an external flue?

br
    Free Member

What’s the worse that could happen with an external flue?

Set the eves on fire?

slackalice
    Free Member

TFS Woodstoves

My BiL, good guy, good range and I do the occasional install’s for them 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Set the eves on fire?

Really?? That would be very impressive if it’s an external flue using proper insulated twinwall. I think building control requires just a 6″ gap between combustables and twinwall and that’s the internal requirement.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

IME Soton BC are quite happy to inspect DIY installs.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Such as Christmas and New Years eves? That would be terrible, think of the sad children. However I reckon the eaves should be ok with it being an insulated flue…

29erKeith
    Free Member

Not the guy in Netley Marsh.

He seems to have the attitude of it you want it you’ll chase him for it. I tried a few times to get a price and he never got back to me, I guess he must have deicide my money wasn’t worth it. not the way I’d run a business

A shame as he’s just up the road from me so would have preferred to spend my money local if I could of. Chardwood stoves, which is what we’re after are from the IOW so keeping it fairly local still

29erKeith
    Free Member

MrMonkfinger, Soton BC? got a link or company name, not heard of them. Hoping to do my install before the winter, if I can get the cash together
    Got a very empty looking hearth pad down ready that’s crying out for company

samuri
    Free Member

Really?? That would be very impressive if it’s an external flue using proper insulated twinwall. I think building control requires just a 6″ gap between combustables and twinwall and that’s the internal requirement.

The reason we’ve not yet tried our stove is because we found out the flue is very close to one of the eves as it passes through the roof. We’re having to pull it out completely and pass through a wider gap.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If it’s inside the roofspace maybe you could use some fireproof board to protect the woodwork? I’d be interested to know how warm the outside of twinwall gets up at that height – my guess is not particularly warm at all.

Yak

slackalice and TFS Woodstoves!

Great job here.

Bear
    Free Member

Sorry but some poor advice on this thread, get it done properly or not at all.

Clearances to combustible materials are given using a specification number for the flue pipe, minimum dimensions will be probably dictated by stove, although you can calculate, and even if you cover the woodwork with fireboard the combustible material may still be too close. It is a clearance dimension after all.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s me told 😳

minimum dimensions will be probably dictated by stove

Even outside using twinwall? I thought that was just for the initial run of single skin flu.

slackalice
    Free Member

Externally, IIRC minimum 50mm clearance to combustable material. Which includes plastic guttering, UpVC & wood fascia’s etc.

Thank you Yak!

br
    Free Member

Yes, since the question was along the lines of ‘DIY, what’s the worse that could happen’?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flue and Woodburner’ is closed to new replies.