Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Flu Jab?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Does anyone get one?
    Never thought it before but now my employer is offering them

darrell
    Free Member

do it

whats to lose?

footflaps

Yes, seems like a very cheap insurance policy to me….

lunge

Yep, have one every year at my doctors as being as asthmatic makes me vulnerable apparently. Never seen a reason not to really.

martinhutch

I get one for free. Would probably pay for it if not.

Even if you’re hale and hearty, the advantage is that you may avoid passing a potentially dangerous flu onto someone who is more vulnerable and unvaccinated.

Plus, this year’s strain is supposed to be a doozy!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/sep/25/fighting-the-flu-can-be-a-matter-of-life-and-death-so-what-more-can-we-do

natrix
    Free Member

I have it every year due to my heart condition, if they’re on offer you might as well have one. The flu (i.e. the PROPER flu, not just a bad cold) can really knock you for six.

thecaptain
    Free Member

After last year’s horrible episode I’d certainly be tempted.

jimdubleyou

Never had a flu jab, never had flu.

Might get one this year though, they are free from work as part of the healthcare plan.

v8ninety

Can make you feel like shit for a day or two (from experience), but still better than actual flu by a long chalk. I’ll be getting one (via employer, again).

Yak

I and my children have it every year for free as we have asthma. My wife pays it at the local pharmacy. It’s crazy not to have it, even if you are not at risk, as you then risk passing it onto others.

footflaps

This thread just reminded me to book mine.

GrahamS

School is offering them to all the kids this year, but not till November which the missus reckons is too late given how early this years strain hit other places.

I’ve never had one but might this year as I’m over 40 and asthmatic.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Never had a flu jab, never had flu.

If you’d ever had flu, you’d want to get a flu jab.

Yak

School is offering them to all the kids this year, but not till November which the missus reckons is too late given how early this years strain hit other places.

Same here. Usually November/December time. I suspect there is a small team covering a country, hence the timing. So I decline the school one for my kids and get it done at the first flu-jab clinic day at the local surgery in early October.

Beagleboy

I just got the letter from my GP yesterday, asking me to come in for the flu jab. I normally don’t bother, even though I’m in the ‘at risk’ category because of my type 1 diabetes, but I’ve read a couple of things recently about the current strain being a potential whopper, so I think I might take the time to get it done. I usually feel a bit peaky the day after, whether that’s anything to do with my immune system kicking in, or whether it’s simply psychosomatic….it’s still a good excuse for a day off work, on the sofa with the playstation. 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Had mine yesterday, £12.99 from the Boots chemist across the road from my office.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get a sweetie for being brave. Is disappoint.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m in the minority here ..
    I have had proper flu which indeed knocks you for six ..but point blank refuse the free jab I’m offered each year…based on what I’ve seen it do to other family members ..
    I have had the jab for pneumonia though ..

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve had the jab on a few occasions – I’m asthmatic and it’s recommended. However, every time I’ve had it I’ve been very ill for about a week afterwards.

I know how vaccines are produced, and I know they’re not supposed to give you flu, yet in my case it happens every time.

Over the last few years I’ve opted out.

Yak

The jab shouldn’t give you any side-effects. Inactive virus surely?
    Anyway, as per last year, I have a race the following day so I’m not planning on any side-effects then.

footflaps

Yep, inactive, so can’t give you flu.

v8ninety

Can’t give you flu. But WORKS by firing up your immune system, so can and often does give mild side effects such as feeling shit and fever. Bin there, dun that, still having jab, as MUCH less badderer than actual flu.

LeeW

do it

whats to lose?

My employer offers the flu shot and I know two people – one really well who ended up with this. This One of them is still in a wheel chair and can’t talk properly more than 3 years after her jab.

*Website is a US compensation claim website for people who have been diagnosed with ADEM after a vaccination so may be more inflammatory than others.*

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes, supplied by employer, always been a big fan. Who wants to get the flu? Lol

rOcKeTdOg

i just feel a bit below par for a couple of days and get an achy arm, if you get proper flu it’ll be a tad worse than that, so worth having the jab

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, get a freebie every year due to being Diabetic.

votchy
    Free Member

Never had flu, only once had flu jab as get them free due to diabetes, never have one again as generally I dont suffer with colds and/or flu and the year I had the flu jab was the only year I have ever suffered with colds, go figure…

timraven

[/quote] i just feel a bit below par for a couple of days and get an achy arm, if you get proper flu it’ll be a tad worse than that, so worth having the jab[/quote]
    +1
    and I pay for it. I work in a pub, so well worth it IMHO

miketually
    Free Member

Had it every year for the last few years, either from GP because I’m asthmatic or through work. Never felt ill afterward.

I’ve only had flu once, about 12 years ago, and it floored me for about a fortnight.

Beagleboy

Thinking about it, the one time I had proper, bedridden flu, I didn’t feel right for months afterwards. Ended up going to the doc about three months later and sure enough, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The docs reckoned that the flu had triggered an auto-immune response leading to my insulin producing cells getting hammered.

As others have pointed out though, you can’t actually catch flu from the flu jab. The virus is inactivated. What you can feel is a wee bit rotten as your immune system is tricked into producing the antibodies against the inactive flu virus you’ve been injected with.*

*No expert, but the university’s Immunology labs are two floors below our parasitology lab!

😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Make sure you are in a good positive mood when you go for it

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170925154701.htm

New research by a team of health experts at the University of Nottingham has found evidence that being in a positive mood on the day of your flu jab can increase its protective effect.

I get one free at work.

Never had flu, only once had flu jab as get them free due to diabetes, never have one again as generally I dont suffer with colds and/or flu and the year I had the flu jab was the only year I have ever suffered with colds, go figure…

A cold is nothing like Flu. To say you got colds because you had a Flu jab is just daft.

Jnr FD is not actually allowed to have one. He has had one at school in the past, but he has always ended up seriously ill in hospital afterwards

chipster

As a diabetic, I’ve been getting the jab for free for 20 odd years, until last year, I’d started a new job where they offer a £5 Next voucher to every employee having the jab.
    Win.

monkeyboyjc

Wife has a chronic illness so I get one for free – yay….

Booked in for Saturday…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Going to get mine next week.

I had Flu a few years ago, no one, not a single soul on earth who’s ever had Flu has ever, not once mistaken it for a “cold” It’s really worth avoiding.

Plus “Aussie Flu” whilst it does look like it’s got a decent chance of fixing this whole Brexit problem, I’d rather not get it myself.

cinnamon_girl

No thanks, never had flu either.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Yes, company pays, so had it this morning.

Done it for the past few years, and no ill effects so far. Had proper flu 20 years ago. A week off work, and felt awful for six weeks. No contest in my opinion.

Drac

Had one for all the time we’ve been offered, also issued 100s of them. Other than a few aches no one including myself have had issues.

I’ve had the flu it’s the worst I’ve felt. I’ve had countless people of all ages critically ill with flu some of which became fatal.

With that I’ll continue to have one.

blitz

Part of my job is advising the immunisation nurses on the school vaccines, for example, if they’re unsure if a child can have it because of a condition they have or if they’re taking medication. My working life is shortly going to be taken over by flu!

There’s no reason not to have it. It’s inactivated (adults) or live attenuated (child nasal) and can’t give you flu. It can take 2 weeks to develop an antibody response so it’s possible to have it and then contract a cold or (if you’re really unlucky) flu itself in those 2 weeks which sometimes mistakenly leads people to think the Jab ’caused’ flu.

It can cause minor symptoms of fever, sore arm etc which are usually self limiting and not a patch on proper flu.

We get it free being healthcare professionals. In fact we get incentivised with an extra 1/2 day leave if we have it! I’d pay for it if didn’t get it free though.

bails

cold is nothing like Flu. To say you got colds because you had a Flu jab is just daft

“I don’t normally wear a bike helmet, but the one day that I did, my neighbour’s dog bit the postman. Go figure!”

Markie
    Free Member

Mrs M gets it cause asthma, Jr gets it (well, a nasal spray) cause school. I get it cause had flu 3 (maybe 4, perhaps 5) years ago and it sucked.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve changed the heating element in my electric oven twice.

The first time I did it I wasn’t really sure of what I was doing and faffed about a bit. It took me about 20 minutes.

The second time I did it was on the fourth day off work with flu.
    I knew exactly what I was doing and had all the correct parts and tools to hand. It took me four of the most miserable hours i’ve ever spent in my life.

Don’t get flu. It’s not nice. Get a jab instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Flu Jab?’ is closed to new replies.