Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Floor tiling type people…
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Does a cost of 2k to lay 40m2 of 600×600 porcelain tiles over underfloor heating seem right? Seems high to me?

amedias
    Free Member

depends on the tiles shirley?

40m2 of posh tiles @£50pm2 = £2k without labour
    40m2 of normal tiles @£20pm2 = £800
    can go cheaper still…

how long did he say it would take to do and what’s his day rate?

or did you not specify what tiles or ask how long it would take?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Electric or water underfloor heated? Ie is the heating system under the screed or does the tile adhesive need to cover it. Are the cables or whatever already laid or does the tiler need to do this as well.

Is the adhesive and grout included, or supplied by you?

I charge £30 pm2 for up to 600×600 tiles with adhesive and grout included, with a £7.50 m2 upcharge if on top of UFH cables without them covered as it adds to the time and materials needed. For reference you’d probably use around 16 bags of rapid flex on a job that size at £13.50 odd a bag at trade if you were covering cables, maybe more.

So 40x£35 = £1400 + £300 upcharge as required.

Getting on for a full weeks work potentially, This is in Leicestershire, regional charges seem to vary.

damo2576
    Free Member

To clarify – I am supplying the tiles, my query is labour and materials for fitting!
    Its ontop of an overlay underfloor system (ie right on top of pipes/board).
    Seems like £50m2 and not that far from what you’re suggesting. I’m down South so more expensive I guess.
    Thanks!

leffeboy

As an aside I’m not sure if you’ve already looked at this but we were warned off such large tiles when put over underfloor heating because of risk of cracking. Think we ended up with 450×450 instead. I’m guessing though that as Blazin-saddles has quoted for this work before that it’s ok

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve certainly seen no issues with laying 600×600 on top of UFH, as long as flexible adhesive and grouts are used + any expansion strips as required. I’ve just quoted a 60m2 floor using 900×450’s actually.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d say that was expensive for labour only £40 m2 tops. They are difficult to get right if the sub floor is uneven, but from what you say, it ski d’s quite straightforward. Ask your local tile shop/s for names of good fitters and get a couple of quotes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Floor tiling type people…’ is closed to new replies.