Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Floating rotor touching forks
  • parkedtiger
    Free Member

When I try to run a hope floating rotor on my fox 36s, the rotor rubs against the forks. The hub is a 20mm bolt through Roval. Has anyone else come across this and is there a solution ?

boxfish
    Free Member

My mate took a Dremel to the post mount on his Fox 36 in order to use a floating rotor…the alternative, which would be my preference, is to use a normal rotor.

Edit: I also had this when running a floating rotor on a centre lock adaptor. The alloy carrier for the rotor is too thick. Going to normal rotors solved it.

spuddle
    Free Member

Had to do the same on my 36’s with a hope rotor, only had to file the paint off, no metal and it just clears

06awjudd
    Free Member

Mine was pretty damn close to touching on my totems, you could try using washers as a form of spacer to push the rotor out a bit – I have no idea if it would work though?

The alternative is to sell them (you’ll get a decent price) and get a normal rotor, in my experience floating rotors offer no benefit anyway.

takisawa2

I had the same with On-One carbon rigids. 😕

Northwind

Used to be a common complaint of Hope vs Fox, not much clearance on some Fox forks. I think most people resolve it by not using bloody silly expensive pointless floating rotors.

davosaurusrex

My m4s squealed like banshees until I went to floating rotors. Clearance is ok on my revs but it’s a fag paper on the swingarm of my Sultan. I don’t want to take a file to it but….

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice; I’ll stick with the regular rotors I think.

flowerman
    Free Member

When I got my domains and the floating rotors didnt fit I just ground some off with my angle grinder 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

Get the hub refaced? The problem tends to be the hub, my experience from hearing about this issue is that if you had a a Hope or Shimano hub it would most likely work.

Northwind

bwaarp – Member

if you had a a Hope or Shimano hub it would most likely work.

Hope + Fox 32 F120 doesn’t clear- or at least, didn’t on my mate’s bike. And Shimano + 36 on another mate’s. (I had Roval and Revelations and they were fine but I think that might be the fork more than anything else)

The amount of material you’d need to get faced off is huge- remember you need to keep some clearance so you’re not just taking off the few points of a mm to get it to stop touching in the best cases. Realistically you’d need to take it back a couple off mm to restore normal clearance.

davewilson634
    Free Member

Superstar mention this may happen with their rotors

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Floating rotor touching forks’ is closed to new replies.