Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Flight prices
  • bubs

We are looking at flights to the Med for the summer holidays. Prices at the moment seem high but are they likely to get any better if we wait (or have we missed the deals now)? Alternatively has anyone got any good experiences of talking a young family on a European road trip to the sea and sunshine (we are not campers).

mrchrispy

This is a good start but it’s pot luck in my experience

https://www.skyscanner.net/bttb/best-time-to-book-flights-full-report

jambalaya
    Free Member

Airlines especially budget ones have very sophisticated pricing models, we have discussed this before but its far more complicated than “starts cheap and goes up”

johndoh
    Free Member

Agrees with Jambalaya.

For what it’s worth, every time I have looked into independent traveling it has worked out more expensive than package deals – for example, last August we stayed in Kos in an all inclusive 5 star hotel – for two adults and two children it cost just short of £4k through Jet 2. I looked into booking the same hotel directly and getting my own flights and transfers and it would have cost just over £5k.

sargey

Go compare has a section now for comparing flight prices, they seem a little bit cheaper than booking direct.

mrchrispy

They also tend to bump the price if you look at the same flight a number of times (yup I think we’ve discuss this before). I take a couple of peeks and if its in budget I go for it and then avoid looking again 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

I believe easyjet will refund you if it gets cheaper later on.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking/fare-pricing

They also tend to bump the price if you look at the same flight a number of times (yup I think we’ve discuss this before). I take a couple of peeks and if its in budget I go for it and then avoid looking again

Incognito mode will help if they’re still doing this (i thought they’d be stopped).

geetee1972
    Free Member

Alternatively has anyone got any good experiences of talking a young family on a European road trip to the sea and sunshine (we are not campers).

Yes, Il de Rey in France, which is just off La Rochelle and is a small islend connected by a bridge. It is gorgeous. Beautiful long sandy beaches, great rock pooling, lots of places to eat in each of the small communities up and down the lenght of it. It’s best feature is the cycle track that runs around the outside of the island (which is about 12km long and two wide), and is, for the most part, entirely separate to the roads. You can hire bikes and pull along buggys very easily and very cheaply.

If you take a ferry to St Malo it’s only a three hour drive. If you take Le Tunnel it’s more like six but it’s an easy drive.

julians
    Free Member

I just (this morning) booked flights to majorca in july for two adults and 1 child . I thought it was pretty cheap at £290 for the 3 of us,although we are travelling outside the main school hols.

I dont think there’s a specific time when flights are cheap though,aside from using that skyscanner tool above i reckon its pot luck

vinnyeh

They also tend to bump the price if you look at the same flight a number of times (yup I think we’ve discuss this before). I take a couple of peeks and if its in budget I go for it and then avoid looking again

The explanation.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Flight prices’ is closed to new replies.