Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Flight delay compensation – a thank you.
  • peteimpreza

I don’t think you can claim for the ash cloud , that was a safety issue outside of the airlines control .

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Fair enough and did feel a bit cheeky thinking about claiming as I had already claimed for my expenses during the delay but to be fair Easyjet did everything to try and not pay to the point I had to appoint a solicitor after 12 months of trying to settle.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Jusr submitted mine for when a Norwegian left nearly 4 hrs late for tech reasons 2 months ago. Cost me an expensive taxi to get home as trains had stopped, Thanks for this

peteimpreza

And of course this is not free money .

The air lines will just build this in to future ticket prices so they don’t lose out in the long run .

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve just had a delivery company fail to deliver in their 3 HR slot 5 times – finally got it on the 6th go. That’s a 2 week delay, and 18 hrs waiting. How much should I get (paid £15.99 for delivery)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights

Knock yourself out. The delivery charge as a minimum, what your time is worth is up to you.

Fact is, there are airlines who deserve this and had it coming for a long time, Ryanair and BA being two I have personal experience of dealing with.

The former run such tight margins that if a plane gets delayed at one stop it knocks everything on in the chain, why should my flight get a 6h delay because they are too tight to lay two planes on as replacements (one for the affected flight and another for the subsequent flights in the chain thereby delaying just one flight)? Their customer compensation is a joke as well, my sister in law was expected to stay in Dublin from Saturday night to the following Friday(next available flight) at her own expense and then submit receipts for reimbursement later.

BA are just such a bunch of fannies that I’d be happy to see them go down, it’s like they actively try to lose your luggage and then don’t make any effort to return in (in my case several bags lost at Heathrow and a bike that eventually BMI returned because the prat next door wasn’t interested).

As said, perhaps if they treated their customers right in the first place people wouldn’t resort to this.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I’m not sure whether it’s the airlines that are ‘too tight’ to build in extra costs, or customers like me who are too tight to pay for it?

thecaptain
    Free Member

The compensation is supposed to be related to the inconvenience of the delay, nothing to do with the original ticket price. TBH it does seem a bit high, but then again we have been offered about $500 to get bumped off overbooked flights a couple of times (at which price there are usually enough volunteers).

falkirk-mark

I am sure you get more (than your ticket price) to discourage airlines from running a flight that say has created £3000 in seats where the cost of the flight would be £5000 (because they had not sold enough seats) then telling the passengers that they have ‘technical issues’ so all considered it seems fair to me.

dantsw13

But Squirrelking, I’ve no intention of claiming. I like free delivery (cheap on this occasion for delivery of a 40kg oak beam) and accept that this means a variable surface.

Flying with a LoCo, and expecting £1k compensation for a delay is rather having ones cake and eating it, imho.

mrchrispy

keep the noise down to lot….I’m trying to count my cash here

:-p

konabunny
    Free Member

FFS Mike – 6hrs in an airport with toddlers is hell.

No, taking toddlers from Syria to Lesbos and then walking the length of the Balkans is hell. Getting delayed on your holidays is a hassle.

squirrelking
    Free Member

But Squirrelking, I’ve no intention of claiming. I like free delivery (cheap on this occasion for delivery of a 40kg oak beam) and accept that this means a variable surface.

Fine, but you obviously don’t value your time very much (assuming you took days off work to take the delivery). Me, I value it. A lot.

Flying with a LoCo, and expecting £1k compensation for a delay is rather having ones cake and eating it, imho.

As said, perhaps if their compensation schemes were reasonable in the first place people wouldn’t feel as justified claiming such expenses. Besides, someone somewhere must have decided it was a fair calculation otherwise it is unlikely to have been passed as law. Unfortunately this scheme is often the only recourse people have who have been inconvenienced so damn right the likes of that smug git O’Leary should take a good hit for it. How many folk remember the old days where it was a simple matter of “tough luck, you’re on your own”? Well now there is comeback and if that is an incentive for airlines to get their acts together then all the better.

dantsw13

You seem to have EU law and common sense confused!!!!!!

I’m an airline pilot, so probably a bit biased on this. I’m lucky I work for an airline with a good safety culture, and I wouldn’t let thoughts of compensation cost factor in any decision to delay a flight. Many in the LoCo sector aren’t as lucky. This compensation scheme will pressurise pilots to fly when they shouldn’t.

I also believe that M o’L knew about the compensation risk before selling flights for £1, whereas other companies factored it into their ticket prices, so my sympathy for him is limited.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Oooh, might have a go at this. In Dec 2010, loads of flights were cancelled on the day before ours due to bad weather at Heathrow. So we turned up to the airport and were not allowed to use our flight as they bumped people from the previous flight onto it. My mind tells me that WE should have been able to board, because the flight we had tickets for was not affected by the bad weather. Was our honeymoon too, and couldn’t get another flight for 8 days, was more expensive and meant I missed Xmas with family and my Mum’s 60th 🙁 We did get a full refund but nothing else.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not sure how much use a toddler would be in an armed conflict, but otherwise a sound argument.

squirrelking
    Free Member

This compensation scheme will pressurise pilots to fly when they shouldn’t.

Unless the pilot owns the airline, I doubt it.

Superstar – you wot?

v8ninety

Yes, let’s put our kids on a lilo and float across the ocean, we may even end up in the UK for free dental treatment.
    Or do we stay put, and fight for our country?

You utter, utter shitbag. My mother and sister are in Lesbos at this exact moment helping out in the camp, so I may be a bit biased, but you really, REALLY want to take a look at yourself, your values and your ability to empathise with your fellow human beings. Just ask yourself what would have to happen in your life that would make you risk your own life and that of your nearest and dearest, but not only that, pay your single last penny to a dodgy bloke with an inflatable for the privilege of doing so. Ask yourself that, and then come back and explain why that isn’t an incredibly crass, heartless and dispicable comment.

dantsw13

Squirrelking – I can assure you the commercial pressure on Loco pilots/engineers is huge. If a certain time cutoff will result in paying every passenger £1k, the pressure to get the flight away before that will be enormous. Arbitrary cost pressures should have no place in such a safety critical industry, but sadly money talks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The reality is it will have no effect on airlines. Airlines already pull out all the stops to minimise delays when they happen. they’ll fly mechanics round the world on chartered private jets for example – They’ll spend half a million dollars to fly engines around the world if engine changes are required, some airlines purchase or lease extra spare aircraft at hundreds of millions of dollars each to enable last minute aircraft swaps. So the cost of compensation is a small fraction of the costs sometimes incurred to an airline when a flight is delayed. All that will happen is that the cost of compensation payout will be built into the cost of the ticket creating a sort of insurance fund for the airline and they will continue as normal and pass the cost onto the customer. A good chunk of delays, if not the majority of them, are not the fault of the airline and they are powerless to prevent or influence them. The only people who will win from this are the no win no fee companies clambering for the business. The compensation culture is alive and well….hurrah!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I work in nuclear generation so understand quite clearly. **** the shareholders. I want to walk out at the end of a shift and I’m not going to risk my life and those around me for someone elses profits.

falkirk-mark

I for one would also doubt that the planes would be flown if unsafe as any company knows that although the price of safety is expensive then try the price of an accident. An accident with some of the smaller airlines would probably end the company.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t let the door hit you…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Disregard above comment, is the remains of a cut thread.

Del

was he excised?
    seemed like such a nice chap…

spekkie
    Free Member

Yaay!!! STW victim-blaming is alive and well !!

LOL @ “Victim”

#cuddlyblanket
    #warm-milk
    #real-world

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Thanks just received email confirmation from Easyjet 400euro for each passenger, even for my daughter who was 1 and not entitled to it as she didn’t have a seat so that’s a nice week in May paid for!!

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Flight delay compensation – a thank you.’ is closed to new replies.