Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flight cancellation or keep extra seat
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 seats booked in long haul, due to job offer I need to cancel one. Refund not likely, might get some taxes back but probably only about £250. I was just thinking, is there any way I can retain this seat? Checking in but not boarding seems to be a theoretical option but may be illegal and/or cause delays so not keen on that. Any suggestions?

trail_rat
    Free Member

doubtful

recently i had to change a flight that i missed due to work commitments and missed the opportunity to change it over prior to flight (was out of comms)

I was able to have it changed for a very notional fee (120 dollars on a 1500 dollar flight) – the woman explained to me its because they sell on the no shows at check in closing to folk that are waiting or have been bumped from other flights due to delays.

This was KLM

What kind of flights did you book that you wont get a refund – or even credit to use on another flight ? – ive changed flights right up to an hour before flight with little issue – and i rarely fly on seamans tickets usually the cheapest of the cheap non upgradable 1/4 point earning crapfests.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Checking in but not boarding seems to be a theoretical option but may be illegal and/or cause delays so not keen on that. Any suggestions?”

thinking about it checking in online but not showing might work – as in the airport will be aware you didnt go through security …. but will likely still cause delays.

gobuchul
    Free Member

but will likely still cause delays.

Very unlikely.

If you check in on line and then are a no show, the airline won’t wait for you. Especially if you haven’t even gone through security.

There would only be a delay if they have to off load your bags, which obviously they won’t.

GJP
    Free Member

I am confused. Why not just cancel it and ask the airline for the tax refund, or just no show all together? What is your motivation in these actions?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Why not reschedule and keep the flight for another trip?

jambalaya
    Free Member

only about £250

If £250 isn’t important to you can I cancel the flight for you and get the refund ? I have a list of bike bits I can use the money for.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m confused why you’d rather check in and not use the seat than get a couple of hundred quid back in taxes?

xora

I’m confused why you’d rather check in and not use the seat than get a couple of hundred quid back in taxes?

Because having an empty seat next to you is the dream of the longhaul economy passenger!

BigJohn

Take a cello with you.

Lester
    Free Member

wear all of your clothes so you look really fat and say you need two seats

RichPenny
    Free Member

Liking the idea of moving the flight and changing the name if that’s possible. Could get another holiday in 🙂 As zora says, empty seat would be good as I’m travelling with a 5yr old so would help.

Jamba, I’ll have some cancellation fees to pay, so if you paypal me £350 then I’ll be able to refund you that plus the £250 when it comes through. Email in profile 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flight cancellation or keep extra seat’ is closed to new replies.