Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Flies – what's the point?
  • convert

Specifically the small/medium sized ones we have in abundance in the house at the moment. They seem to spend their life in the living room doing their impression of aircraft in a hold pattern at Heathrow going round and around in squares, never touching down or appearing to feed. Bloody weird.

Then there’s the blue bottles that fulfil their life’s ambition by laying thousands of eggs in the cat’s food.

And their distance cousin the midge, who are friendless bastards.

God was having a grumpy day when made this lot, mainly to piss off all the other animals on the planet.

andyl
    Free Member

They eat shit and die.

As annoying as they are I guess they are hugely important to our ecosystem.

DezB
    Free Member

What would I feed my pet if there were no bluebottles?

[video]https://youtu.be/wKwiLIpRLhQ[/video]

legend
    Free Member

God works in mysterious ways.

khani
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thing in China ages ago when they decided there were too many birds so had a national bird killing day but after they killed all the birds they were overrun by swarms of flies.
    So the point of flies is they’re bird food.. get a budgie.

convert

Last year we got one of these:-

[/url]

It was brilliant. Smelt a bit (you put it down the garden away from the house and they jump in there rather than going to the house) and macabrely fascinating. It’s good for 20,000 flies and I reckon our one got that or more. We move tomorrow and they take a couple of weeks before they make a difference so not bothered this year and the flies have taken over again.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    goldfish24

Humans – what’s the point?

My point being, there isn’t one really, leave them be.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

We are a virus with shoes.

DezB
    Free Member

We’re only here to give flies something to annoy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…or bite.

This is bringing up my deep seated existentialist dread.

<Herzog> If you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back at you </Herzog>

Cougar

I very nearly started this thread myself last week.

Specifically: why, in the name of all that’s holy, with the ENTIRE WORLD available to buzz about to their hearts’ content, can they find their way through a kitchen door that’s open for precisely half a nanosecond? And why then, with just the world’s smallest kitchen to search in, can they not find their way out again with the window and door wide open?

Bastards.

MrNutt
    Free Member

More to the point why the hell did

(a) I get bitten by a horse fly

and

(b) do I now feel like I’ve been hit by a truck?!?

seriously, aching joints, nausea, fatigue, headache, etc

There is just no need for this, bastards.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…that doesn’t sound good

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Apparently clear sandwich bags with some water in them (like the gala day goldfish transport system) hung in your window does a great job of deterring insects on bright days.

stevied
    Free Member

They eat shit and die.

I’d probably want to die if I ate shit 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Apparently clear sandwich bags with some water in them hung in your window does a great job of deterring insects on bright days setting fire to your curtains.

😛

EDIT: So Alanis

funkmasterp

I’ll see your pointless flies and raise you wasps! The devil of the small, irritating, flying thing world. What do they do? Why am I inexplicably scared of them? Absolute bastards.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Realistically, both flies and wasps perform useful ecological functions.

Wasps hunt small beasties and as such prevent more infestation of plants, and flies larva break stuff down and are an important foodstuff for birds and such.

However, they’re both annoying sometimes.

pondo

Our bee box has had some tenants move in, which I’m very excited about.

So there.

maccruiskeen

what’s the point?

They’re good for stopping your knob from falling out. But its quite painful when they bite you.

maccruiskeen

Wasn’t there a thing in China ages ago when they decided there were too many birds so had a national bird killing day but after they killed all the birds they were overrun by swarms of flies.

I get quite a lot of swallows in and around my workshop (usually get a one or two nests in the workshop itself). They obviously sense when the insect count is falling as autumn approaches and decide to migrate. But a day or two after they are gone theres suddenly flies everywhere for about a week and you realise just how many the wee guys are hoovering up all summer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Flies – what's the point?’ is closed to new replies.