Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Flats for road bike (tin hat firmly wedged)
  • pipiom
    Free Member

any decent,good quality, flats that are road specific?

I’ve seen loads of cheap looking stuff, but just wondered if anyone knows of anything better.

I know SPD’s are the way forward and this will prompt torrents of abuse,but I’m not risking a tumble ATM

legend
    Free Member

What would be the difference between a road flat and a mtb flat?

sputnik
    Free Member

Having watched the Olympics I’ve seen some track cycling where they use flats with straps, seen them advertised for fixies too.
    That’s what I would get.

sputnik
    Free Member

Legend I would guess no “spikes” on the flats as grip isn’t so important when you not getting bumped about on the road as you are off-road .

cloudnine
    Free Member

SPDs aren’t something to be scared of.. You just unclip one foot before you stop and don’t try trackstanding at junctions…

drofluf
    Free Member

Having watched the Olympics I’ve seen some track cycling where they use flats with straps, seen them advertised for fixies too.
    That’s what I would get.

Think that they said on the commentary that they were also clipped in, the straps were a “belt and braces” measure because they can pull out of the clips

pipiom
    Free Member

cloudnine: tried em for ages on the MTB….nightmare and never improved over months of trying.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I ride to work in my work boots so don’t have SPDs.

I found various blogs suggsting Shimano MX*0 Saints:
    Shimano MX80 Saints on a road bike

I’ve had a pair since December and got on well with them.

I’ve also used various FWE pedal incarnations from Evans.

pipiom
    Free Member

They look the part, cheers sputnik….I’ll give eBay a trawl

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Have a look at MKS pedals and toe straps they have loads of road pedal designs for people who prefer a flat pedal.

Having used them myself on I can safely say they are well made and last

chakaping
    Free Member

You are Sam Hill and I claim my £5…

STATO
    Free Member

Ergon flats are supposed to be really good, but about £50.

Ive done a 90mile ride on my carbon road bike with DH flats and normal trainers, no problems but if I was buying specific id want the biggest most supporting platform to reduce hotspots and let me move my foot around for comfort, so something like the Ergon. Little need for big studs on road obviously.

Much prefer clipped in though, make steep hills much faster easier can spin my legs easier without worry.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I just use normal flats (wellgo mg-1), you do need as much grip imo, you don’t want your foot slipping off when you hit a pothole.

You need to get used to years and years of people telling you to use clipless….

BigDummy
    Free Member

These work pretty well. They were designed by Rivendell – Grant is very vocal on the pointlessness of spds.

🙂

mattbee

The Mrs is recovering from knee surgery & can’t twist her heel to unclip atm so she’s using an old pair of Shimano DX flats. They are relatively smooth & have pretty low pins, enough grip with her 2FO mtb shoes but not overly chunky.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I put Hope F20’s on my new Kona Jake. It’s what I have on my mtb and the bike was a present so I didn’t mind treating it to some british quality parts.

amedias
    Free Member

Look for touring pedals, and as CannondaleKing said, MKS are normally a good option, but plenty of others out there.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-flat-916-axle/

Fill yer boots!

nedrapier

I just use normal flats (wellgo mg-1), you do need as much grip imo, [but] you don’t want your foot slipping off when you hit a pothole.

+ 1, inc the MG1s

vondally
    Free Member

Wellgo as above loads of options …..bike James has some interesting views

theotherjonv

depends how aggressively you ride too – some pedals with wider platforms and depth you may risk ground strikes if you pedal round corners.

kayak23

Superstar El Plastique.
    Light, cheap, good platform, nice colours and that.

I use them on my single speed road/town bike thing.

nedrapier

There’s the DMR V6 too. Plastic body and pins. Might give the right amount of grip. Probably less alarming than a metal body if you ground a pedal mid-corner, too!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same as the mtb? Though how hard is it to learn to ride clips?

amedias
    Free Member

Though how hard is it to learn to ride clips?

tried em for ages on the MTB….nightmare and never improved over months of trying.

So looks like the OP did try and found them not to his taste, not that it matters, even if the OP could ride with SPDs he might simply not want to, and that’s fine.

FWIW, I find MTB flats a bit too big for road/commute/touring use, and most of them are too aggressively pin-tastic out of the box too so may need the pins grinding down, and sometimes fewer fitted too.

redted
    Free Member
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Flats for road bike (tin hat firmly wedged)’ is closed to new replies.