Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Flats – foot positioning
  • elredso
    Free Member

So I have recently switched to flats after years on SPDs – should I be aiming to ride flats with my foot in the same position ?

Or do I vary depending upon what I am riding ?

e.g – Uphill = pedal on ball of foot
    Downhill = Centre of shoe ?

cheers

fourbanger
    Free Member

Same really, maybe come back a little on flats. Imagine gripping the peddals with your toes, like an eagle riding a bike.

Northwind

Whatever feels right for you really but your ankle’s a relatively weak joint so the further forward it is, the more leverage you’re placing on it- which is one thing if you’re clipped in, but if your ankle softens too much on a landing your foot’s going off the back of the pedal in a hurry.

Under the ball feels better to me when climbing but I’m unconvinced that it really is… It doesn’t seem to matter much either way tbh. But for descending, heels down and pedals in the arch is best IMO, strong and secure

honourablegeorge

I find myself agreeing with Northwind a lot recently.

Northwind

I steal my ideas from the right people.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

There are three common positions for Flat pedals:

RAD
    DUUUUDE
    & GNARRRRLY

For real cycling put SPD’s back

Northwind

Yesterday’s ride was broadly split into 2 groups- those who had flat pedals, and those who had SPDs that didn’t work because they were full of ice. Real cycling 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Axle a bit behind the ball of the foot for uphill and downhill and everywhere. If you think of pedalling in terms of deadlifting rather than running (muscle utilisation is much more like the former than the latter) then it makes physiological sense.

Imagine gripping the peddals with your toes, like an eagle riding a bike.

I’m sorry but WTF?!! This is just weird. Mind you, I’ve seen MBR giving similar ‘advice’ on bunny hopping…

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Yesterday’s ride was broadly split into 2 groups- those who had flat pedals, and those who had SPDs that didn’t work because they were full of ice. Real cycling

If your pedals are full of ice, you’re doing it wrong!

Northwind

How does that work? I suppose arguably we were doing it wrong, since we were out in conditions most people wouldn’t ride in.

gonzy
    Free Member

i agree with Northwind in terms of foot position….but choice of pedal and shoes can make a difference as well…

If your pedals are full of ice, you’re doing it wrong!

no…you need to pee on them to get rid of the ice….just ask Hora 😀

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Just don’t drop both heels equally – your soles end up parallel again and no increased grip.

If you drop your leading heel more than your trailing one, you can make a ‘v’ with your feet and push outwards to generate far more grip.

Dropping your trailing heel also moves your weight to the rear.

In fact my trailing foot tends to be toes pointed, a bit like these guys, but easier to see as I’m slower…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Of course, over thinking this can be more dangerous than bad foot placement.

Milkie
    Free Member

What do those peeps in those pics know!!! Nuffin!!!

It’s like this…

bellerophon
    Free Member

Those peeps might have good feet positions, but why are they wearing pyjamas?? 😉

sharkattack

By the time you get your feet in the right position I’ll be waiting at the bottom of the hill.

adstick
    Free Member

“Real” cycling!?

xiphon
    Free Member

How about you don’t think too much about it?

The more you start worrying about your body position, foot position, attack position, elbow position, knee position, saddle position, blah blah blah…. then less you’re concentrating on riding your bicycle in what feels the most natural way for the terrain under your wheels.

No idea how my feet sit on the pedals, they constantly change as required… my clips are quite loose, so my feet are not in a fixed position.

(Somebody will soon be along to tell me a coaching course will sort that out, and I’m doing it all wrong… 😉 )

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Heels on the pedals, toes pointing out and seatpost slammed low.
    You’ll look ace.

adstick
    Free Member

To my mind one of the benefits of flats is the freedom of foot positioning they allow. So I’d agree with what others have said – don’t over think it. Though FWIW my feet are in pretty much the same place as in spuds most of the time, possibly a bit further forward if its gnarly (rad, sick etc).

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

GrAvity slave has the right answer. So too does xiphon. I rode spds for many years and changed to flats when I moved away from pure xc stuff to riding north shore and the like. I found that flats taught me to understand how to handle my bike again. Spds are good but they made me forget the basics like hopping, foot placement, etc. Flats = skill, spd = efficiency

mainmonkeyking
    Free Member

Ball of foot over axle. Leading foot with heel dropped a bit, trailing foot with heal raised a bit.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

“Real” cycling!?

Yes you know, the sort where you don’t dress up like an American Footballer.

adstick
    Free Member

Meh. If you’ve got knobbly tyres and you’re not on tarmac then it’s mountain biking surely?

adstick
    Free Member

If wearing checkerboard pajamas also meant I could ride like Sam Hill I’d put up with looking silly. 😀

muckytee
    Free Member

Thanks gravity-slave, it makes sense that does, I shall be giving that a go next time I ride.

enfht
    Free Member

SPDs offroad makes me laugh and point. Totally pointless unless you’re a delusional tarmac licker. Fact.

And don’t believe the crap about “needing” sticky soled flats, gravity still works when you’re on your bike.

Place your foot wherever you like, just don’t jump or bunny hop on your tippy toes.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Imagine gripping the peddals with your toes, like an eagle riding a bike.
    I’m sorry but WTF?!! This is just weird. Mind you, I’ve seen MBR giving similar ‘advice’ on bunny hopping…

Whoosh parrot for one!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Flats – foot positioning’ is closed to new replies.