Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Flats and minimalist shoes
  • stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Anybody used minimalist trail shoes with flat pedals? Have a multi sport event coming up and don’t want to use clips (would have to change shoes twice).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Unless it’s a really short course event, it’s worth changing shoes. However, there is a chap from the states who wrote a blog about some home made carbon pedals to fit his vibram 5 finger shoes.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I did a sort ride on flats with my minimus MT00’s, the pedals scuffed the sole up a fair bit (they are pretty soft) also I felt I had no support what so ever.

I honestly think you’d be better changin shoes, for the short amount of time it takes you’ll make it up by using the right shoes.

RustySpanner

Tried Inov8’s with flats a few years ago – wore through the sole in less than 100 miles – an expensive mistake.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Hmm, it was the Inov8 trailrocs I was thinking of wearing. Yes, it is a short course (just 10k of mtb), but the bike section is in the middle so will involve two shoe changes…

I have some salomon xa pros which will probably be much better suited to the flats, just a bit heavy for shuch a short sprint though.

miketually
    Free Member

I used Inov-8 trainers as my main riding shoe for ages. They were great.

chakaping
    Free Member

Beartraps and toeclips!

ton

changing trainers with lacelocs takes 30 seconds at most…..ffs 😆

RustySpanner

miketually – Member

I used Inov-8 trainers as my main riding shoe for ages. They were great.

Which ones Mike?

I used 2 older pair of Roclites (315’s I think) on Wellgo Mags.
    They were worn when I started using them on the bike, but not excessively so.

They lasted 3 or 4 rides – obvious signs of distress after the first ride, holes in the sole after the third.

Mind you, I had washed them a few times. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Which ones Mike?

I think they were Mudrocs – the ones with a very studded sole. I used them with Wellgo V8 copies and they lasted me a few years, including doing the Kielder 100 a couple of times.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I don’t think the mudrocs were minamalist (not sure as they’re not listed anywmore). Great shoe, but the issue with minimalist is the soles are thin and flexible.

I think if I’m going minimalist, then shoe changing is going to be a given. What I gain in pleasure by running in the shoes, I will lose when trying to pendal in flip flops! 😀

akak
    Free Member

If you are used to using flats I think you’d be fine just take out the pedal pins and use a mid foot position.

jam-bo

I just rode 10 miles in flip-flops. You’ll be fine…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Flats and minimalist shoes’ is closed to new replies.