Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Flat shoe recommendations.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Anything else worth considering other than 510? I’m mostly a clipless pedal user but wanting to run flats on my new Smuggler. Do people switch between the two pedals for different bikes generally?

Cheers.

grahamt1980

Adidas Terrex Trail Cross are way better than Five Tens in my opinion.
    Don’t look as special as Five Tens (I own 2 pairs).
    Plenty of grip and very comfy

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheap sombrio shoes on CRC ATM.

I’m just as happy in them as 5:10s. Firmer sole is preferable sometimes.

SirHC

Specialized 2FO’s are more water resistant than 5.10’s, however the sole isnt quite as grippy.

I generally run SPD’s, but if its really wet and slippery (e.g. bringewood), I’ll stick flats on as you spend more time with your foot out than clipped in!

I have a pair of 2FO clipless shoes, you can perch your foot on the pedal when not clipped in (unlike hard soled xc shoes which slip off)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I switched to flats earlier this year after trying them for a while last summer. To begin with I was using some Etnies but I’ve now got some AM41 which I really like. I haven’t tried 5.10s as I don’t like my feet feeling like they are glued to the pedal. Haven’t chucked out the SPDs yet as that’s what I’ll use if I ever jump on the ss again.

avdave2

I also went for AM41’s when switching and really like them. Very good in the winter considering they aren’t designed for it. The lace cover does a good job of keeping a lot of the mud and water out. I also find them warmer than my MW81’s with the same socks.

keefmac

teva links, loads of padding, grippy sole and if they do get wet they dry pretty quickly. unlike my 5 10s that hold the water like wellies 🙂

leegee

I have tevas and bought cheap sombrio’s a few weeks back. Sombrios much better grip, feet were a bit chilly this time of year though, tevas warm as toast though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like my Frank Wright Stein’s

ohhh…. *that* kind of flat shoe…

jairaj

Another vote for Shimano AM41. I’ve tried 5.10 which were great but I find the Shimano’s just as good and far more practical; they offer more than enough grip, the lace cover helps keep the wind and water out of the shoe and they don’t take ages to dry. My current pair are almost 2 years old, uppers look fine but soles are looking a bit worn now.

I’ve bought a pair of cheap Sombrios fro CRC hopefully they arrive today so I can try them out over the weekend.

FOG

I have some old Sombrios which have been great but I bought some AM41s very cheap from Halfords and have been very surprised how good they are . I only bought them as a fall back when they the others haven’t dried but I seem to wear them most. The looks are dubious – five year old’s trainers- but they are very comfy and grippy. They are being phased out and a new shoe is due but if you can get some they are worth it.

Northwind

The cheap Sombrios at CRC are worth a look- I have a couple of older pairs, they’re not as sticky as 5 10s but they’re very good. Better made, for sure, very comfy, lots of feel.

If you’re not used to flats then maybe 5 10 is the best option though- they have more grip than you really need, but that could still be helpful, gives you more margin for error. I’m happy with less sticky shoes normally but when things get more frantic I like the safety net of the 5 10s. If you’re going to ride out a tricky section with only the heel of your foot on the pedal after a frantic dab, accept no substitute 😆 Likewise if I’m just getting tired and sloppy.

warpcow
    Free Member

+1 for Sombrios. Of those I’ve tested the order of preference is : Sombrio, Shimano and lastly, by quite a way, Teva.

Northwind

Fastest mods in the west!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not the Teva’s – the worst flat specific shoe that I’ve tried.

I bought some cheapy ones earlier this year and think they’re awful – not much grip, soles are too thick to feel anything through. They’re now just used as trainers.

5 10’s are by far the grippest and the freeriders don’t look too special but mine soak up water like a sponge and now stink of rotten fabric.

I have some Giro Jackets which are pretty good. Not as grippy as 5 10’s but are stiffer so better for longer rides.

I’ve just bought some dirt cheap Sombrio’s to try from CRC (£20 was too cheap to pass up). The look a bit odd being mids but they are really grippy but seem better made than my 5 10’s.

benp1

I love my Teva Links. So much so that I have a brand new pair upstairs for when my current ones get too ruined

The only problem is they take ages to dry out, but so do most shoes

gringo

Has anyone tried the new Shimano AM7’s yet?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Flat shoe recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.